Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winfried Schäfer

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
If I recall correctly, we were strongly linked with Winfried Schäfer after he coached Cameroon in the 2002 World Cup.

I wonder where we would be now if that had happened. I note that this evening his Jamaican team reached the CONCACAF Gold Cup final after beating the USA 2-1 in Atlanta. Not bad at all.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Didnt the story go, that DK was waiting at the airport for him but he never showed up and we got Hinshelwood as manager instead?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Didnt the story go, that DK was waiting at the airport for him but he never showed up and we got Hinshelwood as manager instead?
I thought it was more along the lines that right at the last minute he demanded a lot more money than had been agreed upon, so DK told him to get stuffed.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I thought it was more along the lines that right at the last minute he demanded a lot more money than had been agreed upon, so DK told him to get stuffed.

Frutos what are your thoughts on the potential signing of Harper. Is he highly regarded in Spain?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Frutos what are your thoughts on the potential signing of Harper. Is he highly regarded in Spain?

I think it's a potentially very good signing for both us and him - were it not for their disbanding their C Team, he'd almost certainly have stayed at Real and even now I suspect they'd have preferred to keep him and loan him out somewhere else in Spain than lose him entirely. Also bear in mind that the Spanish FA have made enquiries about whether he'd switch international allegiance to them, and it's clear we've got something rather decent on our hands to say the least.

From his perspective though, he wants to break into the Scottish international set-up and being here, where he's more likely to get competitive first-team football at some stage than if he'd stayed at Real or gone to United or Liverpool (with whom he has also been linked in the past) will do his chances of that no harm whatsoever. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find that Mark McGhee has had some kind of involvement in bringing club and player together given his role in the Scottish international set-up and his continuing links with the Albion

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
One detail missing. In DKs book he indeed says it all went wrong from a financial perspective. He then moved onto Coppell, waited 3 weeks to interview him as he was holidaying in Thailand who promptly fell asleep in the job interview.

The rest is history. Hishelwood got the job, turned down Sidwell and Kolo Toure on loan playing Wilkinson and Marney instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here