Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean years

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you miss them?

In some ways I do. Overachieving underdogs, back to back Championships, the romp to the Championship under Gus.

Ok it rained and we got wet and the pies weren't as good

Never thought I'd get misty eyed about that ramshackle ground but as fans the football was often fantastic or gripping, even in the relegation seasons, no?

What we have now will no doubt better those days eventually I'm sure

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep I do sometimes. I've put on here a few times about my thoughts on when we do get to the prem lg as that will be even worse in some aspects (money, huge wages, ticket costs a rip off etc)..

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Some great times, but overall much better now, especially considering the farce of last season and the successful boredom supplied by Garcia.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I miss the chips and the abundance of forks.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
NO. I really really dont.
By the last season I couldn't stand the place. I used to miss the Goldstone but I dont even miss that any more. Things change, if we had still been at the Goldstone we wouldn't be able to compete, we need the Amex. Long term we would have slowly died without it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
NO. I really really dont.
By the last season I couldn't stand the place. I used to miss the Goldstone but I dont even miss that any more. Things change, if we had still been at the Goldstone we wouldn't be able to compete, we need the Amex. Long term we would have slowly died without it.

Of course, long term we are in a much better place but my enthusiasm for games (Adams mark 2 tenure aside) is way less than it was at Withdean now, hence the fact I look fondly on the Withdean years. I am not suggesting we go back there!! Nice as the stadium is, I go for the football and it was turgid last season, dull but understandably so the year before. Even the Poyet run to 4th place had quite a few dull negative wins and draws.

I long for the days when we won 4 or five home games on the trot and thrashed a team here and there, we did that a lot at Withdean ( admittedly at a lower level) :smile:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No i don't. I stayed away because of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chips

The Sportsman

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I used to love walking to Withdean on match days. Great atmosphere.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Of course, long term we are in a much better place but my enthusiasm for games (Adams mark 2 tenure aside) is way less than it was at Withdean now, hence the fact I look fondly on the Withdean years. I am not suggesting we go back there!!

I think you sir are suffering from a bad dose of Hyypia hangover. We've all gone through it.
A few good results and some forward momentum will bring your mojo back im sure. 1st season at the Amex I could barely sleep Fri nights I was that looking forward to it, get a good team on the pitch and hopefully we will all be like that again.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Nope, it was rubbish. Although, I did like the walk along the running track and the fact you could stand there for the last five minutes and almost pretend it was terracing. Other than that Withdean was crap.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I miss the chips, and some great matches but we will have great matches in ten years at the Amex too.

I also remember the bitter cold, feeling like my toes would drop off, waiting in the rain for a flooded muddy smelly leaking portaloo. Some turgid football and very little atmosphere. Forever looking forward to the day we got out of it. Coming on NSC reading people moaning as they do now about the board, the players and H block.

A part of the nostalgia is that you forget the crap bits. Plus we had the stadium battle and in some respect a superior fan notion for putting up with it.

I think some people don't like just being part of the crowd.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We won 4 trophies in 12 years while at Withdean. We won absolutely no trophies in the 70's and 80's.

I wonder if that is how the club's relative success should be judged? I suspect most fans would swap the success of the Withdean years for those from the 70's.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if that is how the club's relative success should be judged? I suspect most fans would swap the success of the Withdean years for those from the 70's.

Both were FUN and I wouldn't swap either of them. We have had plenty of absolute shite before, between and after, we need to grasp the good years!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here