Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Tonight (Channel 5's FL highlights show)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
http://www.channel5.com/articles/football-league-tonight-presenters-announced

Hosted by Kelly Cates (Kenny Dalglish's daughter) and George Riley - both work for BBC 5 Live at the moment.
full_left_column_fbt_usethisone.jpg

"Football League Tonight will feature extended coverage of the weekend’s best matches and will include every single goal from all three divisions. Players, managers and fans will be joining Kelly and George in the studio each week and the viewers can also get involved on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram."

It will be broadcast at 9pm on Saturday nights - gone are the days of staying up until silly o'clock to watch the highlights.

Should be interesting to see how it compares to the BBC's FL show.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
Looks promising, I like the time slot and the social media connection. I do remember FL show trying this in first year but by midnight you'd lost the impetus.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
They're going to show coverage from the weekend's best matches on a Saturday night? Surely a Sunday evening would be better in that case...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Be interesting to see how this pans out. The FLS had an extra 3 hours or so to splice together the highlights and snippets from 36-odd games before going to air, and did a good job IMO. That show was about 90 minutes with NO ad breaks.

Channel 5's will have less time to put it all together, and with ad breaks they'll have less time to show it all (assuming they're looking to be done and dusted before MOTD kicks in at 10.30 - I can't see many viewers staying tuned to see highlights of Morecombes 2-1 win at Accrington once Gary and the boys are on the other side).

Maybe we'll get more than our obligatory 22 seconds a week at the end of the Championship highlights, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Be interesting to see how this pans out. The FLS had an extra 3 hours or so to splice together the highlights and snippets from 36-odd games before going to air, and did a good job IMO. That show was about 90 minutes with NO ad breaks.

Channel 5's will have less time to put it all together, and with ad breaks they'll have less time to show it all (assuming they're looking to be done and dusted before MOTD kicks in at 10.30 - I can't see many viewers staying tuned to see highlights of Morecombes 2-1 win at Accrington once Gary and the boys are on the other side).

Maybe we'll get more than our obligatory 22 seconds a week at the end of the Championship highlights, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If we have another season like last, I think 22 seconds will be more than enough

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Absolutely ANYONE has to be a marked improvement over Steve Claridge.

The man who has miraculously said nothing of note in four years of the Football League Show.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fans in the studio has put me right off already.

Ahhh crap, I skim-read past that bit. There's nothing worse than a TV studio chock-full of desperate, star-struck, tragically inadequate, podgy, replica shirt-wearing braying GOONS who still live with their mums standing around being asked for their oh-so enlightening Daily Star-driven opinions on whatever so-and-so need to do to turn their season round.

I bet they'll get them "chanting" as well. Oh god, please don't make them do chants.

:facepalm:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
"Football League Tonight will feature extended coverage of the weekend’s best matches and will include every single goal from all three divisions. Players, managers and fans will be joining Kelly and George in the studio each week and the viewers can also get involved on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram."

I'm out.

Ahhh crap, I skim-read past that bit. There's nothing worse than a TV studio chock-full of desperate, star-struck, tragically inadequate, podgy, replica shirt-wearing braying GOONS who still live with their mums standing around being asked for their oh-so enlightening Daily Star-driven opinions on whatever so-and-so need to do to turn their season round.

I bet they'll get them "chanting" as well. Oh god, please don't make them do chants.

:facepalm:

That is a bit offensive to some of NSCs finest.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Two things from tonight, so far, well done JFC nice free kick and Alan Curbishley says "you know" quite a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here