Best SIM only contract, central Hove

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've recently switched to 3 having had a real disaster with Voda (coverage, and add on charges) Although I went for £11 a month for 600 minutes they do a good £8 a month deal with 300 minutes, I think

On top of that they have wi fi calling which Voda don't have yet plus (and in my case important) minutes can be used in most places I visit in Europe

Going through the sign up process was easy, always talked to people that understood, and the number transfer was painless too

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not in Hove, but switched from EE to giff gaff last month and the network coverage and 4g Internet speed are excellent. No complaints from me, wish I'd switched months ago.
Pop your postcode in the link I posted above, and see if GiffGaff is better in your location.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's a smart idea. Will the SIMs be pay as you go, and have a number? And is there an app to tell me how my signal strength is, rather than looking at some dodgy bars?

I hadn't even looked, I'm not really bothered, as there are plenty of decent deals, I just wanted to choose the best company. It says 1GB data, 2500 mins, unltd texts and calls to 08.

Yep, sims will be PAYG and shouldn't need any topping up and will come with numbers ready to use.

The signal bars are a good (if not the best) indication of signal strength.
The best test would be for someone to call you whilst you walk around the house/office and see if the signal drops in particular areas.

Based on your usage, I don't think you should be looking to pay any more than £12-£15 p/m.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Virgin. No brainer.
Thanks. Could you explain to this numpty why it's a no brainer?

The best test would be for someone to call you whilst you walk around the house/office and see if the signal drops in particular areas.
I like the idea of getting a virgin and tesco SIM for £1. According to the Which site, the virgin will have better coverage.

Based on your usage, I don't think you should be looking to pay any more than £12-£15 p/m.
It shouldn't be more than £10 really, and could be less. I'm after 2 SIM contracts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks. Could you explain to this numpty why it's a no brainer?

I like the idea of getting a virgin and tesco SIM for £1. According to the Which site, the virgin will have better coverage.

It shouldn't be more than £10 really, and could be less. I'm after 2 SIM contracts.

Great coverage in the area, good reliability, £5 per month might give you all you need, £8 pm most probably would.

Do you have a Virgin Landline? If so there is an app to link your mobile calls to your landline minutes when you're on wifi. Obviously no advantage if you're not.

I kind of liked the idea of Giffgaff, but I did find it flakey around B&H for call signal and data.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great coverage in the area, good reliability, £5 per month might give you all you need, £8 pm most probably would.
Yep, sounds good.
Do you have a Virgin Landline?
Nope, can't get Virgin cable, so I'm Sky fibre.
I kind of liked the idea of Giffgaff, but I did find it flakey around B&H for call signal and data.
I expect Tesco would be too, but I could try them both for £1.
No idea to be honest, I'd guess any large store might stock them.
Failing that, look to buy one off eBay - THIS one looks good.
Thanks. I didn't realise any old supermarket could sell them, I thought each supermarket would only sell one option. Trying a couple for £1 each sounds sensible, but I'm actually tempted to just order Virgin.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm with Virgin SIM only and had no problem in Brighton and Hove, or elsewhere for that matter. I think I'm on their cheapest sim only, 150mins, 500mb, unlimited texts. It's been fine. I did switch to Virgin from Giffgaff as I did have coverage gaps that my wife didn't who had a Virgin sim before I did.

I did exactly the same switching from Giff Gaff to Virgin. Nothing to do with network etc. It was simply value for money. I checked them all out recently and Virgin easily came out the best value(only if you were a existing customer.

250 mins, 250mb data, unlimited texts, free calls to Virgin users = £5 per month. Great deal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
By the way Sky are jumping on the bandwagon next year. They have signed a deal to use O2 network.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
PAC codes obtained, two Virgin SIMs ordered.

Thanks all for the help.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I worked for a mobile network many years ago and although technology has moved on I would be very surprised if a virtual network piggy backing off a main network provider would have the access restricted in any way. Also strength of network coverage will vary for everyone depending on where they use the phone as black spots are inevitable and it will mainly depend on the location of cell sites around where you are using a phone at the time. All networks are good and bad depending on where you are using your phone

1066gull

If you're a bt customer you can get 20gb of data with unlimited mins for £20.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't see it mentioned I'm with Talk mobile £7pm 500mins 5000 text and 500mb data it does the job and 1month rolling contract so if you don't like it you can sack it off
I've just looked at their site, and the normal £7 deal is 250 mins. It seems they use Vodafone, which (according to the online signal site thingamajig) is good in some parts of Hove, not so good in others.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've just looked at their site, and the normal £7 deal is 250 mins. It seems they use Vodafone, which (according to the online signal site thingamajig) is good in some parts of Hove, not so good in others.

I am with Talk mobile as well. I have been with them for two years. I pay £8 for 250 mins, 500 texts and 500 mb data on a 1 month Rolling contract. Suits my needs but I may need to review the site if there are better deals available,

It does piggyback the Vodafone network and generally is good but is poor in my office, where only 02 seems to work well. I have only used it a few times in Hove but have never encountered problems.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah, the £7 deal is for a 12 month contract. May still do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here