Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best SIM only contract, central Hove

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been with o2 since BT Cellnet, and never had a problem, but it's time to change and make a saving.

I would have just switched to Giffgaff, but I understand they don't get the full o2 coverage, they get a watered down version.

My priorities:
1) decent network coverage, starting with coverage in Hove
2) The deal. I don't use a lot of minutes or data, so I imagine I can get what I need for £10 / month, unless the network isn't good enough, in which case I could have to stay with o2, and pay a bit more for their SIM only.
3) customer service

So who are the best/worst?
Giffgaff - o2 network
Tesco - o2 network
Virgin - EE network
other?

Thanks

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Not overly clued up on this but my brother raves about GiffGaff who he switched to last year. In turn he has just persuaded the other to do the same.

In short, cheaper tariff than O2 but use of the same mast etc for coverage.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I put my son on GiffGaff and have had no problems. It's the only network that allows you to just top up when you like rather than having to pay a fixed amount per month ( although they do offer that as well ). So if you use your phone that little you may wish to consider that option.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Moving to Giff Gaff from EE a few years back was the worst decision I ever made. They only get a small part of O2's network and it was terrible.

Never had signal. Data was VERY slow. Their network even went down 3 / 4 times meaning you could make calls / receive text.

Simply not worth the limited savings. Go with a proper network. IMO EE cant be beaten for data speeds if thats what you want. O2's 4G (which I have now) is pretty good though. I was with Three many years ago and their customer service was shocking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you looked at Three? SIM only deals from £8/month and the coverage is good now.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
To be honest, I haven't really looked at anything yet, other than reading previous threads on here (did a quick search). Three generally had a bad reputation, although perhaps that has improved.

Not overly clued up on this but my brother raves about GiffGaff who he switched to last year. In turn he has just persuaded the other to do the same.

In short, cheaper tariff than O2 but use of the same mast etc for coverage.
I had planned to switch to GiffGaff, but then I read (more than once) that they don't have the same coverage as o2, they have a reduced version. I don't know if that is a fact or not.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I had planned to switch to GiffGaff, but then I read (more than once) that they don't have the same coverage as o2, they have a reduced version. I don't know if that is a fact or not.

My son hasn't had any issues in either Patcham or Hangleton, the two places he most frequents. In fact, in Hangleton coverage on EE is awful.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've been with the lot over the last few years.

Best three by FAR are: Three, Virgin & T-Mobile (NOT EE).

Worst in my experience: Orange & o2 (inc. Tesco, Giffgaff - but these are purely due to network speeds).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Moving to Giff Gaff from EE a few years back was the worst decision I ever made. They only get a small part of O2's network and it was terrible.
You were moving from EE, not from o2, so is the poor GiffGaff network a known fact, or is it speculation?

IMO EE cant be beaten for data speeds if thats what you want.
I don't need data speed. See my 1 - 3 in OP :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with Virgin SIM only and had no problem in Brighton and Hove, or elsewhere for that matter. I think I'm on their cheapest sim only, 150mins, 500mb, unlimited texts. It's been fine. I did switch to Virgin from Giffgaff as I did have coverage gaps that my wife didn't who had a Virgin sim before I did.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Have you looked at Three? SIM only deals from £8/month and the coverage is good now.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

I'd usually recommend Three, I've had a SIM only deal with them for the last few years HOWEVER the only blackspot for coverage that I regularly encounter is in Central/East Hove (roughly between Palmeira Square and Hove Town Hall) If the OP is in this area, as the thread title suggests it might not be the best option.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To be honest, I haven't really looked at anything yet, other than reading previous threads on here (did a quick search). Three generally had a bad reputation, although perhaps that has improved.

Three did used to have a bad reputation because of their poor coverage and drop-outs. They're now one of the best for coverage (in the top 2 I think) and I've been very impressed with their customer service too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd usually recommend Three, I've had a SIM only deal with them for the last few years HOWEVER the only blackspot for coverage that I regularly encounter is in Central/East Hove (roughly between Palmeira Square and Hove Town Hall) If the OP is in this area, as the thread title suggests it might not be the best option.

Oh OK, I can't comment too much on Hove, I only really go there to watch the cricket and don't have a problem then.

Hasn't Hove always been dreadful for mobile signals on all networks? I know a couple of friends who lived there and had to go outside to get a signal.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
You were moving from EE, not from o2, so is the poor GiffGaff network a known fact, or is it speculation?

I don't need data speed. See my 1 - 3 in OP :)

The poor network was my experience with Giff Gaff. I have been with nearly every company over the years and in all that time the worst/only issues were with Giff-Gaff.

The network went down completely on 3/4 seperate occasions over the course of my first 6 months. And do you know what you can do about it when that happens? Nothing. You just have to sit there and hope you arnt expecting to receive or needing to make an important / life dependant call.

They dont even have a proper customer service department - mostly just an online help forum.

The ability to receive / make calls & text is too important to me. I left after 6 months.

It MAY be ok now and MAY never happen again but ask yourself - is it worth the risk for the savings?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Worst in my experience: Orange & o2 (inc. Tesco, Giffgaff - but these are purely due to network speeds).

I should add that I'm currently half-way through a 24 month contract with Vodafone.

I'm in Hove (Portland Road area - BN3 5) and am yet to have any signal problems.
Customer service has been great for me, however you'll likely find just as many horror stories with CS as you will praise.

For value, I'd still suggest Three, Virgin or T-Mobile - Saying that I am a heavy data user so these three choices are based on Tariff cost, Data and Data Speed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I have a Virgin promo in front of me, and it's saying it uses the EE network. So are you saying that's fine, because the problem is with the EE customer service or something, and not the network? Or are you saying Virgin was good when not using the EE network?

Given the data isn't important to me, does that mean Tesco etc would be fine?

Thanks

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have a Virgin promo in front of me, and it's saying it uses the EE network. So are you saying that's fine, because the problem is with the EE customer service or something, and not the network? Or are you saying Virgin was good when not using the EE network?

Given the data isn't important to me, does that mean Tesco etc would be fine?

Thanks

I'd pick up 2 sim cards (Virgin & Tesco/o2) from a supermarket for £1.00 each.
Put them in the phone and see which gets the best signal at home and work and then make your choice based on that.

I was with Virgin before EE was about, so I can't really comment on how it is now, but in the past, Virgin was flawless.

What's the costs of the Virgin Promo you have compared to GiffGaff?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Not in Hove, but switched from EE to giff gaff last month and the network coverage and 4g Internet speed are excellent. No complaints from me, wish I'd switched months ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd pick up 2 sim cards (Virgin & Tesco/o2) from a supermarket for £1.00 each.
Put them in the phone and see which gets the best signal at home and work and then make your choice based on that.
That's a smart idea. Will the SIMs be pay as you go, and have a number? And is there an app to tell me how my signal strength is, rather than looking at some dodgy bars?

What's the costs of the Virgin Promo you have compared to GiffGaff?
I hadn't even looked, I'm not really bothered, as there are plenty of decent deals, I just wanted to choose the best company. It says 1GB data, 2500 mins, unltd texts and calls to 08.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here