Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Albion rebuilding may spill over into season"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Always does, always will. Nothing to discuss really. Just depends to what EXTENT the business is unfinished. Go in as we are and we could be in for a(nother) VERY barren August.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's the Albion close season way these days.

Talk the talk but no longer walk the walk

All very predictable as are the club sound bites, whoever spouts them

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone believe we weren't going to sign a player between 7th Aug - 31st Aug & subsequently get a few in the loan window? Another 'click-bait' non story by the Argus.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bozza you seem to have become a bit of a cynic over the last week or so, that is worrying. I don't think any club goes into the season with all their business done but if we go into it with the current squad I can see lots of Albion Nil results.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Just like last year, a trip to Falmer will still be a nice day out. That's what really matters.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

We are obviously being prepared for less than good news, though it could of course change quickly. CH is right in that it can be a long,drawn out process, as players and agents vie for the best deal and end up taking what they can on the last day, as clubs bargaining position strengthens. I suppose this is business and would I, as a player sensing I might be in demand, do any different? But it does increasingly look like we might start the campaign as unprepared as last year -remember the Sheff Wed home defeat, with Fenelon up front, and then the loss at Birmingham, with its consequent effect on morale.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
"Hold tight!, We're in for another bumpy ride"

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
To be honest, I think you will find the same happening with quite a few clubs.
Money is tight, no one can dispute that, it is run as a business now after all.
The fact that Brighton always seem to do this looks like we may be setting the trend.
It's a bit like the January sales after the Christmas panic.
Still be in top 6, I think. :albion2:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No surprise. Hughton definitely backtracking from earlier more confident pronouncements. Another failure by our club to act quickly and decisively in the market.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Albion boss Chris Hughton says his squad rebuilding may not be completed in time for the first game of the season against Nottingham Forest.
Hughton is halfway through his summer shopping list after signing four players, with Forest’s visit to the Amex on August 7 looming into view.

The Seagulls are close to expanding their development ranks but the ongoing quest to add a first team centre-half and more attacking options, including a striker and winger, could spill over into the rest of the transfer window, which shuts on September 1.
Hughton told The Argus: “I hope not but I am also conscious we are only two and a bit weeks away from the Forest game.
“We have been able, with the group that we have got, to do some good work and everybody has come back in good shape and we’ve had minimal injuries, which is very good.
“But of course it’s difficult to get everything done in the next two weeks or so. We’re certainly trying.
“We’re working as hard as we can and the ability to bring players in is not just about what we want.
“It’s about the demand, players making up their mind and, if it is a player associated to a club, them as well.(The Blackburn dude ?)
“In an ideal world you would only want to bring in about three or four but when you consider we lost eight at the end of last season it’s bigger numbers to fill.
"We are the same as everybody. We’d like to get it done early but it is very difficult to do that. We’ve brought four in at this stage and some perhaps haven’t brought that many in but we’re not shying away from the fact that we still need to bring bodies in to improve the squad.”

Skipper Gordon Greer (adductor) remains sidelined from tonight’s friendly at Crawley (7.45pm) and Sunday’s trip to Aberdeen along with Jake Forster-Caskey, who missed Saturday’s game at Lewes with a sore knee sustained in training. That ol chestnut eh.... code for being sold in the next few days
Hughton hopes the pair will be available for next Wednesday’s warm-up at Gillingham and says Andrew Crofts is “another week or so” away from his return as Albion ease him back from long-term knee damage.
Development squad signing Joe Ward scored one and forced an own goal as Albion under-21s won 4-2 at Enfield last night. Jayson Molumby and Ben Barclay also netted.

"So in short same old same old"

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I suppose a positive might be that hughton is forced to use some DS lads for a few games

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Getting tired of the sound bites and the Premier League set up blurb the club keeps throwing out. We seem determined to play roulette with relegation never mind trying to be in the top 6. If we don't get the players we need in this transfer window then we could be looking at another seasons of Albion Nils

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
To be honest it's what I expected. Brighton haven't been the sort of club to get their business done early in decades. Not since the Bamber days. So, if what Bozza says is the case, I'm not annoyed or disappointed at all. What I am is frustrated.

Frustrated because we seem to set ourselves up for a fall almost every season now. All this talk of 'playing budget' and 'ambition' is all well and good, but you, I and every agent in the game knows we won't pay over the odds for anyone - and they'll always be another club that will.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza you seem to have become a bit of a cynic over the last week or so, that is worrying. I don't think any club goes into the season with all their business done but if we go into it with the current squad I can see lots of Albion Nil results.

Really?

No - like most I hope, the anticipation of the new season is building nicely, and I'm really looking forward to it all starting again.

I think, if anything, it's not a case of the club looking to 'do it on the cheap' but are being quite ambitious in their aspirations and, as such, that presents challenges with getting players in nice and quickly. Both Jahanbakhsh and Marshall seem like just the sort of exciting attacking players we are all crying out for but, because they are, they are not easy deals to get over the line. With so much transfer business done late on these days, they/their agents/their existing clubs see no rush in concluding deals.

The fact that 3 of our 4 signings to date were completely out of the blue is also encouraging. It means that something could be announced at any time at all.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
It's last seasons poor recruitment which is really biting now. Having to release so many poor quality players was
always going to be a big ask to replace in time for the start of this season coming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here