Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enticement to commit a crime

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On Bright news today Brighton Police are considering taking action against 5 pubs in Brighton for serving under age drinkers after they sent in 16 and 17 year olds to try to buy alcohol is that not a classic case of police enticing the publican to break the law?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
On Bright news today Brighton Police are considering taking action agaiunst 5 pubs in Brighton for serving under age drinkers afterl[B they sent in 16 and 17 year olds to try to buy alcohol][/B][/ is that not a classic case of police enticing the publican to break the law?

Annual sting operation in order to fine multiple venues for a few thousand £.

Much more important than cleaning up the homeless and getting the drugs off the streets.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as they have done to pubs and off licenses for decades. how else are you to "catch" them serving underaged drinkers, as if they simply send in 18yo without ID no crime is committed.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Maybe pub landlords should teach their employees the law

What, that all staff should ask anyone 'who looks under 25' for ID?

Someone who I perceive to look under 25 may be totally different to yours.
At 17 I looked a hell of a lot older and rarely got carded.

An easier option for all is to just ask ID of everyone. Pain in the ass but would prevent these issues.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Do they still sell mild in the UK, not noticed it anywhere there in years....have Kozel Cerny here that seems very similar. Old bloke back in the day used to get mild with a dark rum in it. Said it was like porter of days gone by

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have no problem with this as when I was underage it was great getting served!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It's the law, so there is little merit trying to gain an advantage by opposing it. However I'm always a bit concerned when the establishment break the law (in this case enticing under age to buy alcohol) to gain a conviction. Not much short of dropping your wallet and waiting for someone to pocket it, just to nick them.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If it was a rare occurance yes...selling cigs and booze to underage people is fairly common. How else could you prosecute?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Helps the clear up rate though .... the moment the crime is committed they catch the perpetrator.

I'd have thought there was a better use of police resources given how often they plead poverty.

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
As much as a pain as it is, this is the only way to actually prevent it.

No it isn't. Plain clothes officers could identify (or attempt to) underage drinkers who have under their own violation purchased alcohol. This was always the case in days of yore, when coercing crime for the sake of a nick was deemed a no-no. Not really fair to try to encourage people to commit an offence just for that purpose.... IMO. ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On Bright news today Brighton Police are considering taking action against 5 pubs in Brighton for serving under age drinkers after they sent in 16 and 17 year olds to try to buy alcohol is that not a classic case of police enticing the publican to break the law?

The problem is that the some of the "volunteers" they use can easily pass for being over 21 despite the headline grabber of them being baby faced 16 and 17 year olds.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Do we know which pubs?

Club Revenge in Old Steine, Lola Lo in East Street and The Bulldog in St James's Street all fell foul of a test purchase operation run by Sussex Police officers on Friday.

Staff at The Blue Man in Queen’s Road and The View in Kingsway, Hove, were also caught out selling alcohol to volunteers aged 16 and 17.

Two venues, The Joker in Preston Road and The King and Queen in Marlborough Place, successfully passed the operation by asking volunteers for ID and refusing to sell them alcohol.

-----------------------------------

Do the police have a word with the bouncers to let them in some of these places? I would expect Revenge and Lola Lo to have bouncers stopping under age getting in to the places in the first place, wouldn't they share responsibility?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do they still sell mild in the UK, not noticed it anywhere there in years....have Kozel Cerny here that seems very similar. Old bloke back in the day used to get mild with a dark rum in it. Said it was like porter of days gone by

They certainly still have Harveys Mild in the Nelson :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quite. I routinely get carded in Boston (the one in the US), as does everyone else in those bars. I'm 52.

I got asked for my passport in Vegas last year when I was 57. The only problem with asking for ID all the time is that we don't normally carry any with our age on it. I can't see people wanting to carry their passport with them all the time (and I don't have one at the moment as it's being renewed). Should 60-year-olds really have to apply for those pub ID cards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here