Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exploiting fans

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9919055/F365-Focus

(selected paragraphs)

Last week Sheffield Wednesday released details about the price structure of their home match tickets. There was no accompanying information to explain the news that, for the highest category games, adult tickets in the club's South Stand would be priced at £52. Under-11s would be allowed in for £21.

"The matchday ticket price structure came as a big shock to Wednesday fans mainly because it wasn't communicated by the club," said supporter and Sheffield Star columnist Laura Jones. "The prices appeared on the club website without explanation. It took two days for the club to address the issue in the form of a chairman's statement."

Chansiri also mentioned that supporters could save £5 on each ticket by purchasing a club membership for £30 per season. Securing money up front is clearly key.

The most worrying message was yet to come. "If we are to achieve our ultimate aim of promotion, we must embark on this journey together," was Chansiri's concluding message. If in doubt, resort to emotional blackmail. The limits of FFFP were supposed to force clubs to do things the 'right' way. Instead, the message is this: Signings will be made, but only if you fund them. Fail to do so, and fans only have themselves to blame.

Not every game at Hillsborough this season will set home supporters back £52, of course. The opening day fixture against Bristol City (promoted from League One) will cost only £36-£43 for adults. You can get a ticket for a Wednesday night game against Reading for £36, if you book a month in advance.

The avarice continues apace. Want to have a long-sleeved home shirt with the club captain's name on the back delivered to your home? That'll be £70.85, please. There is a £2 discount for short sleeves, mercifully.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sheff weds.....:lolol::lolol: oh well , never mind......wait till city wipe the floor with 'em first game ....get on it , you heard it here first.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Presumably same price for away tickets? Thankfully I have ticked this ground off. No need to go again!

Well done Wednesday! Job done!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I always thought that in the North they were poorer that us down here

obviously not

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I always thought that in the North they were poorer that us down here

obviously not

The 11th paragraph of the article

In January, a report revealed that South Yorkshire is the fifth poorest region in Northern Europe, and it has the highest level of child poverty in the country. The region also has the second highest unemployment of any region in the UK, and average earnings in Sheffield have dropped by almost £2,000 per person since 2008 - the worst fall in Yorkshire. Still, the multimillionaire owner says "we're all in it together" so that'll keep everyone warm at night.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i so hope United do well and put pressure on WEDS re tickets and floating fans, can understand die hard weds not switching to blades but the floating supporter with two clubs to choose

MMMM lets see

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9919055/F365-Focus

(selected paragraphs)

Last week Sheffield Wednesday released details about the price structure of their home match tickets. There was no accompanying information to explain the news that, for the highest category games, adult tickets in the club's South Stand would be priced at £52. Under-11s would be allowed in for £21.

"The matchday ticket price structure came as a big shock to Wednesday fans mainly because it wasn't communicated by the club," said supporter and Sheffield Star columnist Laura Jones. "The prices appeared on the club website without explanation. It took two days for the club to address the issue in the form of a chairman's statement."

Chansiri also mentioned that supporters could save £5 on each ticket by purchasing a club membership for £30 per season. Securing money up front is clearly key.

The most worrying message was yet to come. "If we are to achieve our ultimate aim of promotion, we must embark on this journey together," was Chansiri's concluding message. If in doubt, resort to emotional blackmail. The limits of FFFP were supposed to force clubs to do things the 'right' way. Instead, the message is this: Signings will be made, but only if you fund them. Fail to do so, and fans only have themselves to blame.

Not every game at Hillsborough this season will set home supporters back £52, of course. The opening day fixture against Bristol City (promoted from League One) will cost only £36-£43 for adults. You can get a ticket for a Wednesday night game against Reading for £36, if you book a month in advance.

The avarice continues apace. Want to have a long-sleeved home shirt with the club captain's name on the back delivered to your home? That'll be £70.85, please. There is a £2 discount for short sleeves, mercifully.

Anybody daft enough to pay anywhere near that deserves anything they get frankly. Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, just say no, kidz :nono:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I almost feel sorry for Wednesday fans...Almost.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i so hope United do well and put pressure on WEDS re tickets and floating fans, can understand die hard weds not switching to blades but the floating supporter with two clubs to choose

MMMM lets see

There's not many floaters in Sheffield.

el punal

Anybody daft enough to pay anywhere near that deserves anything they get frankly. Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, just say no, kidz :nono:

It's not quite that easy though. Yes, you can so no to all the merchandising gubbins but if you're a die hard Wednesday fan would you give up watching your team? I suppose one one solution is to watch them away (although you've got the travelling costs) - there are a few on their doorstep of sorts : Leeds, Huddersfield, Hull, Rotherham, then a bit further Burnley, Blackburn, Nottm. Forest.

If their fans are really desperate I suppose they could always buy a blue and white striped Albion shirt and get rid of the whippet.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems to have 8 ticket bands with A* being £52 in the South Stand (assume Leeds United) lowest is G which is £20.

Reading has been classed as E which is £36.

The Chairman's comments posted yesterday on the SW website make interesting reading:

Dejphon Chansiri has re-iterated his desire to propel Wednesday to the Premier League, whilst underlining his aim to introduce new initiatives in a bid to pack Hillsborough through the 2015/16 campaign.

The chairman has revealed an intention to aid supporters without the financial ability to attend Hillsborough on a regular basis and says this policy formed part of his vision for the club when he purchased SWFC five months ago.

He exclusively told swfc.co.uk: “I want everyone to enjoy this journey together, and my aim is for the journey to take Sheffield Wednesday to the Premier League.

“I pledge as chairman to explore every strategy to ensure we have as many fans inside Hillsborough as possible next season.

“I want to see Hillsborough full and make our home an intimidating place for our opponents to visit.

“It makes me happy to see all our fans together and behind the club. We have a wide spectrum of supporters in our family and If some genuinely cannot afford a ticket over the course of the season, I say ‘please do not worry, we will find a way.’

“Of course, not everyone can afford a Season Ticket so we are continuing to look at various possibilities and solutions on the matchday as it has always been my intention to offer help and support.

“We want everyone who has a love for Sheffield Wednesday to come and support their team.

“We are pleased to introduce the biggest ever match discounts for our club Members followed by the Family Ticket Package - both of which have been very well received - and I wish to assure everyone that there will be more initiatives to come.”

And still no comment on grading of home matches other than the first few.

As our game is a Tuesday night away dont expect many to go if price is anywhere near £52.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not quite that easy though. Yes, you can so no to all the merchandising gubbins but if you're a die hard Wednesday fan would you give up watching your team?

At some pricing point tho shirley, you'd have to take a reality check, especially if you're a family man with bills to pay on more pressing things than what in the cold light of day is not much more than a leisure activity. Exactly the same that a die hard Albion fan would. At some point you'd have to hold your hands up and walk away. It's down to the club - any club - to judge where that pricing point lies. And Wednesday have patently called it wrong.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here