Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton on season long loan to Bury

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion goalkeeper Christian Walton has completed a move to join League One club Bury on a season-long loan.

The England under-20 keeper linked up with his new team-mates today, after Bury returned from their pre-season tour.

Albion Manager Chris Hughton said, "We want Christian to play regular first-team football as soon as possible and Bury will give him that opportunity.

"Bury are a club who have a similar playing philosophy to us, and in David Flitcroft I feel they have an excellent manager, who will be good for Christian.

"They have just moved into Manchester City's old training facility in Carrington and, having won promotion last season, Bury are a club with ambitions to continue their progress.

"They're a good fit for Christian, he will get the opportunity to play regularly at a good level and I am confident this loan move will benefit all three parties: Christian, Bury and ourselves."

Walton, who joined Albion from Plymouth Argyle, was a regular on the bench last season - and played four games for the first team, including his debut at Spurs in the League Cup.

He kept clean sheets against Wigan Athletic and Middlesbrough, and also represented England in the under-20s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good news. This, along with the incoming signings (and like everyone else I hope there's one or two more to come) makes it look as if Hughton has actually got a PLAN, which we are putting into effect.
My guess is that he'll have quite a lot of shot-stopping to do if he is to help Bury stay in league 1 next season. Good luck to the lad.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Good move for him, them and us. Hope it goes well and next season he is challenging here for the number 1 spot.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He should do well there. The only thing he lacks is experience, an excellent goalkeeper already.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Great for Walton to get a full season as No. 1

Fingers crossed Bury don't get annihilated this season knocking his confidence and development.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Good move for him and the club, having him sit on the bench for the season again would be a waste of talent. He'll be back in a year ready for first team football with us (hopefully).

Great signing for Bury!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Great for Walton to get a full season as No. 1

Fingers crossed Bury don't get annihilated this season knocking his confidence and development.

On the flip side of that, playing for a newly promoted team that will at times see his goal under significant pressure is a far more valuable experience for him than going to a team that will win most of their games.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Good stuff, I imagine it'll do him wonders to get some regular first team experience.

I've no doubt he'd have had a few token games for us this year but there didn't seem much point to staying here for the season.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
According to a Bury fan KLOOT

Now that we're in league one, have Carrington, play good football etc etc., should we not be strengthening our links with Man C And Man U. Surely they have a decent under 21 keeper we could use. Plus a rapid right winger whilst we're at it?!

Many Brighton fans including myself wanting him to remain here and fight for the number one spot this season, yet so many Bury fans think they should be looking for better.???

http://www.gigglane.com/showthread.php/27090-New-keeper-in-!/page7

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Now that we're in league one, have Carrington, play good football etc etc., should we not be strengthening our links with Man C And Man U. Surely they have a decent under 21 keeper we could use. Plus a rapid right winger whilst we're at it?!

Many Brighton fans including myself wanting him to remain here and fight for the number one spot this season, yet so many Bury fans think they should be looking for better.???

Lovely stuff. Tiny club thinking that a new training ground, and playing some pretty football in the lower leagues. suddenly makes them into Barcelona...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
First team squad now down to 23.

Room for 3 more without any further departures.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Great signing for Bury. Can't believe their fans are uninspired. Not long ago Man City and Arsenal were after him but he opted to stay with us. I would much rather have Walton as our number 1 over Stockdale. Let's hope he comes back even better.

Now lets make some signings!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wonder if he'll team up with Adam El Abd? The Bury fans seem to have been pretty impressed with AEA on his loan spell last season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Hah. He'll be their best player by a MILE.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Wonder if he'll team up with Adam El Abd? The Bury fans seem to have been pretty impressed with AEA on his loan spell last season.

I wondered that. I saw AEA play for Bury at Accrington last year and he was exactly the same player who played for us at Withdean. Hard as nails and very effective in League Two.
However, his Wiki page says he's at Brizzle City. Meanwhile their website has no sign of him.

Where is AEA ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Excellent news for all. Bury are a decent side and Flitcroft has done a good there, an excellent move for Christian. Also very good player management by the Albion looking to maximising the development of a key prospect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here