Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diesel fuel now cheaper then unleaded!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's only the UK where historically diesel is more expensive. On the continent, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite.

Diesel should be cheaper, after all it undergo one less refining process.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah the cheap fuel thing didn't last long! It went up every time I drove past tesco!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's only the UK where historically diesel is more expensive. On the continent, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite.

Diesel should be cheaper, after all it undergo one less refining process.

It used to be cheaper, but then a lot of drivers switched to diesel, so the government upped the tax on it, to make it more expensive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It used to be cheaper, but then a lot of drivers switched to diesel, so the government upped the tax on it, to make it more expensive.

less cynically, they increased it because they realised its not quite so pleasant on the pollutant front, producing lots of heavier compounds than petrol. of course they knew this when promoting its use and holding the tax back.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It seems to me that the issue is that now we are looking at the particles which are emitted from working diesel engines.

This to the extent that, it appears, diesel engines are soon to be barred from London ( and indeed other cities ) .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And there was me getting grumpy because I wasn't offered a diesel option for my company car!

Though the mpg still makes it more expensive unless petrol gets considerably cheaper still.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I wouldn't own a diesel on principle that it's far more health damaging than petrol.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
your petrol car gets more MPG than a diesel?

No it doesn't.

I may have got a bit confused, as I was initially commenting on the fact that I wouldn't have been able to drive in major cities if I'd chosen a diesel car, and then I lost the plot completely!

I'm back on the medication now and can confirm that I was talking nonsense! Please continue.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
One reason many people drive a diesel is the longevity of the engines ,100,000 miles on a petrol is a lot of miles but a diesel its nowhere near .

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I'm a diesel car buyer only!
Pros: diesel to petrol
Diesel are just as fast as petrol,
Saves money on road tax,
Better mpg,
Clocks up more mileage

Cons of diesel to petrol
Most petrol engines sound better
Don't get filter problems
Probably are better for environment
Cheaper cars to buy new

Overall, I think diesel are much better then petrol!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here