Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moon Landings - 46 Years Ago Today

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yep, 46 years since Neil Armstrong took that 'one small step' with the world watching.

For those around at the time, did you watch it? In this day and age, at least until we go to Mars, its hard to imagine one event uniting everyone the way that did.

Last edited:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
its hard to imagine one event being uniting everyone the way that did.

scoreboard.jpg

???

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Yep, 46 years since Neil Armstrong took that 'one small step' with the world watching.

For those around at the time, did you watch it? In this day and age, at least until we go to Mars, its hard to imagine one event uniting everyone the way that did.

Absolutely I watched it -live on grainy B&W TV.

My dad and I stayed up to watch it and he fell asleep - remarkably I didn't - and I woke him up in time for him to wake my 3 younger sisters - who wondered wtf was going on!

Marvellous scenes.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I watched it. I remember everyone telling me how incredible it was, that this was a moment that I should remember for ever.

But I was 7, and a bit 'meh'.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There were two moments. The lunar module Eagle landed about 10.30'ish so watched it in the Naafi bar with loads of others giving a huge cheer when it landed.
Neil Armstrong didn't leave the module until early the next morning (our time) so I watched that in the tv room, in the mess. It was very grainy, as said, and in black & white, but still amazing.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There were two moments. The lunar module Eagle landed about 10.30'ish so watched it in the Naafi bar with loads of others giving a huge cheer when it landed.
Neil Armstrong didn't leave the module until early the next morning (our time) so I watched that in the tv room, in the mess. It was very grainy, as said, and in black & white, but still amazing.

You stay up drinking all night then?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was 6, my mum got me up about 3am to watch it. I was fascinated by the whole thing from start to finish.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Travelling from Germany to the Balearics with my parents, we hit the Spanish border just as they landed on the moon. I saw it on a flakey very small TV on the Spanish side of La Jonquera as the TV was in the cubicle whilst the customs grilled my father and checked the car over.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, it was stunning - but mostly on rerun (there was a fab documentary on the box 15 years or so ago). At the time there were too many shots of men in suits and labcoats in a big room (mission control), quite a lot of them smoking (those were the days). I prefer Red Dwarf, though.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was at school in Sydney and it took place in the afternoon so we all sat for hours watching a tiny B&W TV in the main hall. I remember going to cub scouts meeting in Darling Point that night and we were all excitedly talking about travelling to the moon ourselves one day; maybe a pointless aspiration but the future seemed exciting. I hate to think what we would have thought if we had been shown a glimpse of what the world would actually turn into.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Stayed up all night and watched it. Can never forget taking the dog out for a walk around 11.00pm and looking up at the moon and thinking how amazing that there were men on it! Amazing also how blase we were a few missions later. Men bouncing around in spacesuits has limited entertainment value I suppoose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here