Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away attendence

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It was the "Sami" effect. The season was written off in the middle of September.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There was clearly significant disparity between what we were watching on the field, but being behind both Bournemouth and Brentford is a bit disappointing.

(Impressively, Brentford averaged c300 per game more than we did in 2013-14 when we were play-offs bound too)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think the fact that alot of clubs in this league are up north doesn't help us. Plus the fact that we tend to also have them on Tuesday nights eg. Hudds this year and last I believe.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Numbers look like BS to me. Boro averaged 2,250 away fans? Sounds way out to me. Going to check...
They took something like 5k to Blackburn. Boro travel very very well in numbers.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It seems like since the Amex opened our away attendances have significantly dropped, which is understandable. I certainly go to a lot fewer away games now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Numbers look like BS to me. Boro averaged 2,250 away fans? Sounds way out to me. Going to check...

They do have a large away following and several games last season took the full allocation given to them by the home club (Blackburn 6,988 Huddersfield 3,514 Rotherham 2,618 Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: 4,568 Wigan 4,893 Fulham 4,000)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They took something like 5k to Blackburn. Boro travel very very well in numbers.

7,000! Three days after Christmas. Impressive. Weird but impressive. It looks like the number is correct.

They also took nearly 4,000 to Huddersfield, 4,900 to Wigan, 4,500 to Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

I suppose our problem is the close games limit us to 2k, max 3k. Whereas loads of those northern grounds will give you as much as you want.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ironically I actually did more aways than normal last season, but I certainly picked a bad year to do that. I'm surprised we averaged as high as we did. The long distance midweek away games had very low turnouts, given the quality of football on show I'm not surprised.

The northern and midlands teams have it easy as they are rarely more than 1-3hours away from anywhere (apart from Brighton) not too mention an often quite large London/South of England Diaspora.

Fairplay to B'muff that's a good number considering the size of their fanbase, although they unlike us were worth watching.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
There was clearly significant disparity between what we were watching on the field, but being behind both Bournemouth and Brentford is a bit disappointing.

(Impressively, Brentford averaged c300 per game more than we did in 2013-14 when we were play-offs bound too)

It would be interesting to know what our away following was in the 2010-2011 season when we were pushing for promotion from League One. I seem to remember some pretty impressive attendances then. For example, in the first game away at Swindon I had to stand in an aisle all game, whereas in the previous season I could have chosen any seat I wanted. Bournemouth's attendance for 2013-2014 isn't that impressive and I don't remember them selling out the away end at the Amex.

It seems like since the Amex opened our away attendances have significantly dropped, which is understandable. I certainly go to a lot fewer away games now.

Same here. I went to most of the games in the 2011-2012 season, as they were new grounds for me. Now I hardly go to any away games, though domestic circumstances are part of the reason for this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would like to see that table extended to show average miles travelled per fan (obviously based on where the home club is rather than where an away fan actually lives).

All the midland clubs would drop down that list

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be interesting to know what our away following was in the 2010-2011 season when we were pushing for promotion from League One. I seem to remember some pretty impressive attendances then. For example, in the first game away at Swindon I had to stand in an aisle all game, whereas in the previous season I could have chosen any seat I wanted.

1396. The problem we faced then was small away allocations restricting what we could take to many games. Stats here: http://origin-www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/ad/88/0,,10794~166061,00.pdf

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we had played like Bournemouth, Brentford and Boro last season, or the season before I suggest we would have matched them and even bettered them for away crowds. Like it or not the fare on offer influences whether people go to away games, Under Gus I went to loads, under Oscar I went to some, under Hyppia I went to one and under Hughton I have managed one. If we carry on playing like we did last season I doubt I'll go to any unless I happen to be in the area on the day. Bad enough watching shit at home without spending a day travelling to watch it and the football on offer being the low light of the day.

We are ****ING dull to watch these days and if not falling over myself to watch it makes me a fair weather fan, then so be it :shrug:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I would like to see that table extended to show average miles travelled per fan (obviously based on where the home club is rather than where an away fan actually lives).

All the midland clubs would drop down that list

I will work this out. May take a while, expect Acker will have done it already though, he is normally first on the stats.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
You've got to hand it to Boro - proper club with proper fans. It's not just the numbers either; it's the level of vocal support they give their team, like the thing they do about ten minutes before half-time which is a constant amount of well-orchestrated noise designed to get the players through to the whistle. I remember listening to this at the Amex and thinking how great it would be if we did the same. Away from home our support is terrific, often in spite of some uninspiring stuff on the pitch; I take my hat off to those among us who can sacrifice time and oodles of cash to follow the Albion everywhere....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There should really be some weighting based on closeness to away game, and whether Saturday or mid week.

We are also hampered by some of the limitations on away following at grounds which are close to us, such as Bournemouth, Brentford etc where if we were able to have an allocation limit that we get from Fulham, more would travel.

Another way to view away followings is maybe to compare how teams compare against one another. if other words as an example did we take more to Birmingham than Birmingham brought to us. This then evens out the distance issue immediately.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Here is a very quick & basic table showing teams away average against what they brought to the Amex.

Away.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here