Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New season betting tips

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm thinking Aston Villa relegation is looking like bang tidy value. At a best price 15/4, they won't have Delph or Benteke and that idiot Sherwood is going to be found out (if he hasn't been already)

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

Watford, Norwich, Bournemouth and Sunderland are all skinnier odds for the drop, but I do fancy at least two of those four to stay above Villa. I'm not convinced Bournemouth will struggle (especially if they start well) and I can see both Norwich and Sunderland finishing above Villa.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Firstly I reckon that outside of the top 6 or 7 the massive bump in Sky money has meant that it's a much more level playing field between traditional 'midtable' clubs (those who have rarely if ever made Europe) and those just coming up.

I think that both Alex Neil and Eddie Howe both have enough about them, and enough resources to stay up. Norwich particularly, I reckon, will be absolutely fine. Sunderland showed enough of an improvement at the tail end of last season, but the team is riddled with garbage.

So I will say Villa, Sunderland and West Ham to go down, and I realise how stupid that sounds.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Leicester at 4's is very tempting. Second season syndrome and all that.

If Leicester lose one or two key players then they might struggle. But Villa have already done exactly that, plus they have a shit manager. I'm fairly sure that Ranieri will have enough nous to keep them up. He might be the sort of foreign manager that people are tired of, but his record stands up - certainly more than Tim Sherwood who is basically a white Paul Ince.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If Leicester lose one or two key players then they might struggle. But Villa have already done exactly that, plus they have a shit manager. I'm fairly sure that Ranieri will have enough nous to keep them up. He might be the sort of foreign manager that people are tired of, but his record stands up - certainly more than Tim Sherwood who is basically a white Paul Ince.

Their defence is poor. The likes of Wes Morgan, Wasilewski, Robert Huth all the wrong side of 30 and (personally) I think they'll struggle. Ranieri has done nothing of note for years, sacked at Inter when they were 8th, sacked at Monaco, and sacked by Greece after losing to the Faroes.

Either way, is there more than a 1 in 4 chance they'll be relegated? I certainly think so, so see it as value.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bournemouth v Villa first day of the season a) should be a bit of a humdinger and b) could precipitate a difficult first few months for Sherwood.

I can already see Howe's relaxed smirk and Sherwood's wide-eyed denial in the post match interviews.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think Sunderland under Advocaat are a better bet to stay up than Newcastle under that grinning clown McClaren ...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bournemouth v Villa first day of the season a) should be a bit of a humdinger and b) could precipitate a difficult first few months for Sherwood.

I can already see Howe's relaxed smirk and Sherwood's wide-eyed denial in the post match interviews.
Does Hoops ref in the PL ? ???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've a feeling Everton will get it right this season. They have the guy from Barca back but also a lot of quality that did not perform last season. I'd back them for a top 6 finish as I see Liverpool & Spurs dropping down to mid table.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Villa look in deep trouble with Ron Vlaar out injured for 4 months or so, can see Sherwood gone by Christmas

Leicester and the Tinkerman look a bad fit, Ranieri hasn't done anything in years and another manager I can see gone early.

West Ham under pressure and teams that get rid of Allardyce always seem to struggle after and the Olympic stadium will look a bit daft in the Championship

Everton are one of my surprise packets to fail, Martinez hopelessly overrated and didn't have a clue last season could end up relegated for the first time

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Villa look in deep trouble with Ron Vlaar out injured for 4 months or so, can see Sherwood gone by Christmas

Leicester and the Tinkerman look a bad fit, Ranieri hasn't done anything in years and another manager I can see gone early.

West Ham under pressure and teams that get rid of Allardyce always seem to struggle after and the Olympic stadium will look a bit daft in the Championship

Everton are one of my surprise packets to fail, Martinez hopelessly overrated and didn't have a clue last season could end up relegated for the first time

Spot on with those predictions I think - Everton for me are ones that will once again fail to trouble the top 7.

Tottenham have a good manager but they have failed to strengthen particularly well so far. If Kane doesn't fire then the likes of Stoke/Swansea/Southampton will give them pressure.

Top 3 for me will be Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United in that order, with City most likely 4th. Liverpool 5th as I don't think they quite have the team to compete and still have the Europa League to contend with.

One of or possibly both Villa and Leicester to go down, joined by one of or both Bournemouth and Watford.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm thinking Aston Villa relegation is looking like bang tidy value. At a best price 15/4, they won't have Delph or Benteke and that idiot Sherwood is going to be found out (if he hasn't been already).

Don't worry they are going to replace Benteke with Adebayor..... he is the ideal guy to have in a relegation scrap. Why do teams keep signing him? He hasn't done anything of note for donkeys and just seems to wind up his own team/fans with his inept performances.

A couple of dodgy results and Villa could go odds on very quickly.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Really can't see Sunderland going down this year. Younes Kaboul and Sebastian Coates are a major improvement on O'shea & Brown and Lens could be one of the signings of the season. If Defoe performs then they're 1 midfielder away from a midtable finish IMO. For me the 3 weakest squds in that league are;

Aston Villa - Micah Richards & Idrissa Gueye are both good signings but they lack real quality all over the park. Adebayor worked well under Sherwood last time but I can't see them not going down atm.

Bournemouth - Nobody they've signed jumps out as a brilliant signing. I think their PL inexperience will hurt them. Distin is their only player with more than 50 Premier League apperances, and at 37 he's over the hill massively. They'll either thrive or finish rock bottom, in my opinion.

West Brom - Struggled last year and so far have only made one signing and thaw was James McClean who hardly tour the Championship apart last season. Losing Dorrans & Mulumbu will be a massive blow. Pulis can pull something out of the bag and is known for doing his transfer business late in the window but as it stands they're in for a real slog.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Sixteen posts in and no-one's mentioned Palace in connection with relegation?

Ok. Well, I will. Palace will go down this year. With Leicester and (hopefully) Bournemouth.
Derby will blow it again - Playoffs at best.
And none of the promoted sides will have spent last season in the Prem.
Forest, Boro, Bristol City & Fulham will be top 6.
Charlton will go down.
The Franchise ***** will beat us twice.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Agree with all of this. Martinez needs someone alongside him who has half an idea how to set up a back 4.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm thinking Aston Villa relegation is looking like bang tidy value. At a best price 15/4, they won't have Delph or Benteke and that idiot Sherwood is going to be found out (if he hasn't been already)

I agree with all that, I not only agree I look forward to it. I can't take to Sherwood, but he makes up for that by worshipping himself. 'Found out' is a likely scenario in my books, it will be interesting.
15/4 looks a sound bet to me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't worry they are going to replace Benteke with Adebayor..... he is the ideal guy to have in a relegation scrap. Why do teams keep signing him? He hasn't done anything of note for donkeys and just seems to wind up his own team/fans with his inept performances.

A couple of dodgy results and Villa could go odds on very quickly.

Because Sherwood is another idiot manager that thinks he can get the best out of Adebayor. The only thing that gets the best out of Adebayor is the realisation that he's only got 6 months left on his latest ludicrous contract. Miraculously, he starts to pull some performances out then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here