Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Anyone that was signed up to the windows 10 insider preview can now download and update to the full version of windows 10, 10 days before official release.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Question is...who would want to when Windows 7 does the job?!

Windows 10 will be the last version of windows they do. As to windows 7, windows 10 is light years ahead and a huge improvement on windows 8/8.1

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
They have got a new internet browser, which is supposed to be much faster and easier to use. Compared to internet explorer which is poop.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So there never was a Windows 9? Did Windows 10 sound better?

pretty much. some marketing chap thought it a good idea. they had to do something after the pitful reception of Win 8, not realising its their strategy of one OS thats the problem, not the name.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Question is...who would want to when Windows 7 does the job?!

It looks like MS have nailed it with Windows 10 though accroding to reports. The speed of Windows 8.1 without the confusing tablet/desktop fusion plus a ton of great features is something I'm really looking forward to using.

Plus, it's a FREE upgrade and with Windows 7 really starting to show it's age now, I'd say you should take the plunge!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Windows 10 will be the last version of windows they do. As to windows 7, windows 10 is light years ahead and a huge improvement on windows 8/8.1

Until MS realise they can get a few more quid off people by releasing another operating system.

D

Deleted member 22389

What's the catch. Microsoft don't give away free operating systems without there being money involved somewhere along the line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's free for the first year, expect them to charge a monthly fee for updates after that.
I doubt it. When they say 'free for the first year', that means you can't upgrade to it for free after the first year, not that they'll charge you to use it once you have upgraded.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What's the catch. Microsoft don't give away free operating systems without there being money involved somewhere along the line.

As I understand it, the reason MS is so successful is that Bill Gates, back in the day before GUIs, was advised to license MS DOS to IBM, rather than sell them MS DOS lock stock and barrel. Subsequently MS have continued to do this with Windows with PC manufacturers, so whatever PC you buy with a version of Windows on it, the software has already been paid for.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I doubt it. When they say 'free for the first year', that means you can't upgrade to it for free after the first year, not that they'll charge you to use it once you have upgraded.

i believe it may mean both. though the details are sketchy at this point, MS seems to be moving to a subscription model.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So what makes Windows 10 "light years" ahead of Windows 7? Stability? Speed? Compatibility Install size? Or looks a bit fancier and links to Social Media? I genuinely haven't seen it but I'm intrigued to know why you think it is the dogs compared to Windows 7 and presumably why I should upgrade my estate of 200+ PCs immediately? There will obviously be improvements but to me, Windows 7 is the new Windows XP. It is stable, is fully supported for drivers, will still receive security updates for a while yet and is compatible with all the apps I need it to run. So what is Windows 10 USP other than the fact it isn't Windows 8?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's free for the first year, expect them to charge a monthly fee for updates after that.

Can't see that at all.

It's in their interest to have as many people as possible on the latest version of their OS. Look at how well it's worked out for Apple. They'd be mad to start charging for it and I don't get the impression that Nadella is mad. Not by a long stretch.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
So what makes Windows 10 "light years" ahead of Windows 7? Stability? Speed? Compatibility Install size? Or looks a bit fancier and links to Social Media? I genuinely haven't seen it but I'm intrigued to know why you think it is the dogs compared to Windows 7 and presumably why I should upgrade my estate of 200+ PCs immediately? There will obviously be improvements but to me, Windows 7 is the new Windows XP. It is stable, is fully supported for drivers, will still receive security updates for a while yet and is compatible with all the apps I need it to run. So what is Windows 10 USP other than the fact it isn't Windows 8?

I have been apart of the insider program since the start, I have found the operating system to be very user friendly, swift and fast operation, plus the introduction of Cortana makes everything easier to use.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here