Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Lived in Waterloo St so Linden for me. Sid had a thing about my missus and kept putting her behind the bar, which was handy from my point of view. Iron Duke also had fairly non regular hours in those days as well
    The guy that invented predictive text died today, his funfair will be next fryingpan.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I remember a few in Worthing -

Buckingham club, near the old Buckingham pub

Oasis, Warwick gardens I think

Claymore club near the old White horse pub
      The Horn of Plenty in Prospect Place or New Street?

0 Not allowed!
      There was one near St. Peters called the office club - i think that's where it was. Another was the silver slipper behind waitrose in western road.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by daveinprague View Post
      Lived in Waterloo St so Linden for me. Sid had a thing about my missus and kept putting her behind the bar, which was handy from my point of view. Iron Duke also had fairly non regular hours in those days as well
      Ah, the Iron Duke. In slightly more modern times run by an alcoholic called Joe Noonan. He used to be the manager of the Alexandra Hotel in Hove. When they went bust over night all the artwork and all the contents of the cellar went missing. He then proudly announced he was gay and left his wife of 20+ years !!!
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Tuesdays used to be 'market day' in Haywards Heath. Not sure why, must have been a market at one time in the dim distant past. Council must have forgotten to repeal the all-afternoon drinking bye-law that was once presumably associated with thirsty market traders, because the Burrell was open all Tuesday afternoons. Rarely made it back to the office in Perrymount Road before about half-four, and only then to have some strong coffee before heading off home, pleasantly pickled.
      Remember those days well Tom Hark, in fact i spent a few shifts behind the bar there, most likely served you lol, though Liverpool arms was my local
      you dont need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by I remember the good times View Post
      Three come to mind and all were gay, but then in the 70's that was the only place to get a drink out of hours.
      Bar above a shop in Kings Road (may have been Catlins rock shop). Open all day.
      Bar above the shops in Rottingdean. Turn towards the sea at the crossroads. Another day time spot.
      Bar in the cellar of the now closed Mariner (East St & Seafront, Brighton). After hours spot till 3am (all other bars, clubs etc closed at 11pm). Floppy bit of ham and lettuce was handed around to get around the law. Worst memory was having a wee and sharing the only toilet in the gay bar. Couldn't go!!!
      Should point out that I was with my girl friend at all these places.

If I remember correctly, the bar above the rock shop was the 42 Club.
      Supporting the Albion from the otherside of the planet.
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by highway61 View Post
      Remember those days well Tom Hark, in fact i spent a few shifts behind the bar there, most likely served you lol, though Liverpool arms was my local
      Same. Liverpool arms was my (work) local also - apart from Tuesdays. Was in the Livvy so often that the sit-down Galaxian in there was the only arcade game I every mastered . It was said that Old Jim never left the pub. Apart from the day he left in a box, that is. Great old pub, great old days.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Same. Liverpool arms was my (work) local also - apart from Tuesdays. Was in the Livvy so often that the sit-down Galaxian in there was the only arcade game I every mastered . It was said that Old Jim never left the pub. Apart from the day he left in a box, that is. Great old pub, great old days.
      absolutely, bless them all. I first went in there around 1968/9 and was regular till around 1979, Worked lunchtimes with Jim often, and went to albion with Dave Johnson and Deano et a, Geoff
      you dont need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
      A place just down from the "Wick" pub in Hove.Just up from the seafront.
      We all used to get paid Friday lunchtime,go to the pub for a pint,have one too many and stuff work for the afternoon.
      Happy Days
      That would have been The Esquire Club run by Sid

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rusty redeyes View Post
      That would have been The Esquire Club run by Sid
      I seem to remember one near here called The Belvedere Club.
      Anyone else?
      "Holloway did the equivalent of supermarket sweep and loaded his trolley up and when he got home realised he had a load of dodgy flat pack furniture which he didn't know how to put together and has walked off in frustration leaving someone else to sort it out."