Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Afternoon drinking clubs in the late 70's early 80's.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Lived in Waterloo St so Linden for me. Sid had a thing about my missus and kept putting her behind the bar, which was handy from my point of view. Iron Duke also had fairly non regular hours in those days as well

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I remember a few in Worthing -

Buckingham club, near the old Buckingham pub

Oasis, Warwick gardens I think

Claymore club near the old White horse pub

The Horn of Plenty in Prospect Place or New Street?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
There was one near St. Peters called the office club - i think that's where it was. Another was the silver slipper behind waitrose in western road.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lived in Waterloo St so Linden for me. Sid had a thing about my missus and kept putting her behind the bar, which was handy from my point of view. Iron Duke also had fairly non regular hours in those days as well

Ah, the Iron Duke. In slightly more modern times run by an alcoholic called Joe Noonan. He used to be the manager of the Alexandra Hotel in Hove. When they went bust over night all the artwork and all the contents of the cellar went missing. He then proudly announced he was gay and left his wife of 20+ years !!!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Tuesdays used to be 'market day' in Haywards Heath. Not sure why, must have been a market at one time in the dim distant past. Council must have forgotten to repeal the all-afternoon drinking bye-law that was once presumably associated with thirsty market traders, because the Burrell was open all Tuesday afternoons. Rarely made it back to the office in Perrymount Road before about half-four, and only then to have some strong coffee before heading off home, pleasantly pickled.

Remember those days well Tom Hark, in fact i spent a few shifts behind the bar there, most likely served you lol, though Liverpool arms was my local

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Three come to mind and all were gay, but then in the 70's that was the only place to get a drink out of hours.
Bar above a shop in Kings Road (may have been Catlins rock shop). Open all day.
Bar above the shops in Rottingdean. Turn towards the sea at the crossroads. Another day time spot.
Bar in the cellar of the now closed Mariner (East St & Seafront, Brighton). After hours spot till 3am (all other bars, clubs etc closed at 11pm). Floppy bit of ham and lettuce was handed around to get around the law. Worst memory was having a wee and sharing the only toilet in the gay bar. Couldn't go!!!
Should point out that I was with my girl friend at all these places.

If I remember correctly, the bar above the rock shop was the 42 Club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Remember those days well Tom Hark, in fact i spent a few shifts behind the bar there, most likely served you lol, though Liverpool arms was my local

Same. Liverpool arms was my (work) local also - apart from Tuesdays. Was in the Livvy so often that the sit-down Galaxian in there was the only arcade game I every mastered :lol:. It was said that Old Jim never left the pub. Apart from the day he left in a box, that is. Great old pub, great old days.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Same. Liverpool arms was my (work) local also - apart from Tuesdays. Was in the Livvy so often that the sit-down Galaxian in there was the only arcade game I every mastered :lol:. It was said that Old Jim never left the pub. Apart from the day he left in a box, that is. Great old pub, great old days.

absolutely, bless them all. I first went in there around 1968/9 and was regular till around 1979, Worked lunchtimes with Jim often, and went to albion with Dave Johnson and Deano et a, Geoff

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Back in the late 70's maybe early eighties my old man had a property opposite the Linden Club in Waterloo St, above it were some offices that he didn't own that were empty. One morning it looked as if these offices had been broken into and on investigation he found two blokes from special branch with their cameras trained on the entrance to the Linden Club recording all comings and goings. Obviously he to keep this confidential but they often set up there for days and nights at a time.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Back in the late 70's maybe early eighties my old man had a property opposite the Linden Club in Waterloo St, above it were some offices that he didn't own that were empty. One morning it looked as if these offices had been broken into and on investigation he found two blokes from special branch with their cameras trained on the entrance to the Linden Club recording all comings and goings. Obviously he to keep this confidential but they often set up there for days and nights at a time.

Can't say I'm surprised.
Lots of local villains frequented the Linden.
I wonder if it gave a few of them an alibi if the Old Bill were setting them up.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
To be fair signing in was taken seriously
Never got in without being signed in by a member who had to vouch for your behaviour.

Like I said.Never saw any aggro at all.

Showed we could have a civilised afternoon drink without the country falling apart.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, the Iron Duke. In slightly more modern times run by an alcoholic called Joe Noonan. He used to be the manager of the Alexandra Hotel in Hove. When they went bust over night all the artwork and all the contents of the cellar went missing. He then proudly announced he was gay and left his wife of 20+ years !!!

A great pub. I have been to many a lengthy lock-in at this place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here