Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More racial abuse in Russia

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Perfect World Cup destination. :facepalm:

Former Arsenal player Emmanuel Frimpong was sent off playing for Russian side FC Ufa after he gestured to the crowd with his middle finger in response to alleged monkey chants.

The midfielder, 23, was playing away to Spartak Moscow in the opening game of the Russian Premier League season.

"When the match was stopped, the fans started shouting 'monkey' at me," said Ghana's Frimpong after the 2-2 draw.

"I just did not keep my cool, I showed my emotions and it was my mistake."

Frimpong was shown the red card after half an hour of the game in Moscow, with the score at 1-1.

He wrote on Twitter after the match: "A human being shouldn't be racially abused for the game that I love. I'm going to serve a sentence for being abused."

Ufa general director Shamil Gazizov said his club would not be calling for Spartak to be punished, describing it as an "unfortunate incident".

"There were people who could have shouted things. These are emotions which go away after the game. We are partners with the red and whites and are on good terms," he said.

'What Frimpong did was wrong. Sometimes you even have to hold back the tears and just put up with it."

Russia hosts the next World Cup in 2018, and Frimpong added: "Abused... and yet we going to hold a World Cup in this country where Africans will have to come play football."

Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure, who has been racially abused while playing in Russia in the Champions League, has previously said black players might boycott the World Cup unless the country tackles racism in football.

Last season, Torpedo Moscow's Congolese defender Christopher Samba was banned for two matches for gesturing to fans following racist abuse.

There have been more than 200 cases of discriminatory behaviour linked to Russian football over the past two seasons.

But in March former head of Russian football Vyacheslav Koloskov said too much is made of racism in the country and has also questioned why monkey chants are assumed to be racist.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The highlighted bit at the bottom is beyond belief. Country stuck in the past.

Good on any black players if they opt to boycott, FIFA have done f*ck all to try and stop it. Petty little fines and fencing off 50 seats at games won't do anything to stop it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
But in March former head of Russian football Vyacheslav Koloskov said too much is made of racism in the country and has also questioned why monkey chants are assumed to be racist.

Yes, of course he's right.

Whenever I watch Disney's The Jungle Book and I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song) comes on, I regularly break out into spontaneous football chants.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe Putin and FIFA could pay the racists off?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The highlighted bit at the bottom is beyond belief. Country stuck in the past.

Good on any black players if they opt to boycott, FIFA have done f*ck all to try and stop it. Petty little fines and fencing off 50 seats at games won't do anything to stop it.

Maybe it shouldn't just be about black players boycotting it? Maybe we all should. FIFA needs a kick up the arse and ****ing up their precious world cup would probably be just what they need. You can include the Qatar one in that too.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I don't work in a sector of the community that would normally be perceived to be particularly racist.
Every day without fail I hear anti Muslim rhetoric.
Does that count?

D

Deleted member 22389

Thought racism was world wide?
No point having a dig at the Russians as it happens here every day like many countries:glare:

Exactly. I don't know what people expect to happen here, do they want Russia to be stopped from hosting the World Cup? That isn't going to happen, because money talks. Whoever has the biggest wallet usually gets what they want regardless of what else might be going on. Racism is wrong but it goes on in all countries, against all races.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Exactly. I don't know what people expect to happen here, do they want Russia to be stopped from hosting the World Cup? That isn't going to happen, because money talks. Whoever has the biggest wallet usually gets what they want regardless of what else might be going on. Racism is wrong but it goes on in all countries, against all races.

I think it is the reaction of the powers that be to the racism rather than the racism itself. In countries deserving of a world cup I would expect more to be done by their FA's. and yes if their FA is not prepared to tackle this kind of stuff and they are denying it and trying to justify it then they should be stopped from hosting the world cup.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think it is the reaction of the powers that be to the racism rather than the racism itself. In countries deserving of a world cup I would expect more to be done by their FA's. and yes if their FA is not prepared to tackle this kind of stuff and they are denying it and trying to justify it then they should be stopped from hosting the world cup.
Who says that being homophobic should be accepted worldwide?
It's a western thing as per usual where we think that all countries should be westernised right?
Fact is virtually all religions are homophobic and many countries are....That's probably two thirds of the planet that are homophobic for numerous reasons.

The western world will always attempt to criticise others that are not like themselves its that simple???

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why?
I don't have a problem with gays and speak to them as human beings,but I don't like seeing men holding hands or kissing in public...Just makes me cringe.

What about women kissing in public?

Does that make you cringe as well?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Without sounding like a massive racist.....

It's completely unacceptable, and only backs up why the World Cup shouldn't be held in Russia...... But I get a little bit annoyed by players moving to Russia for vast sums of cash and the complaining about being racially abused, it's not like you don't know about it before you go, as it happens every week - wrongly of course.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here