Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Watson

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I am not a great golf fan, but marvellous scenes as Tom Watson finishes his final Open Round.

A true gentleman and all round genuine nice guy.

and a pretty good golfer as well. One person won the (British) Open 6 times - Harry Vardon in the first years of the 20th century - and Tom only one of 4 players to have won it 5 times, two of the others having been in the early 20th Century as well.... so he's only one of two in comparatively recent times.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I'm not a golf fan either. I'm not sure I even like golf.

I can't remember him winning the majors in the 70s & 80s.

However I was watching in 2009 when he nearly won the open. I was cheering him on that day because I believe he was one putt away from the greatest sporting moment ever.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yup, I am rather sad that he will not be back to play at the Open.

When I started playing golf he was the main man - Nicklaus was on the slide and Watson was beating him more often than not. Watson was known as a choker early on in his career, but overcame that to become the best of his era. He has always been a gentleman and champion of The Open when many Americans could not be bothered to come over and play. He was also often standing up for the traditions of the game and has been very critical of Tiger Woods and others who show disrespect to the game and it's fans. When he turned up on the first tee yesterday, he gave a present to Ivor Robson, the starter, who is also retiring this year. That is just typical of the man.

He was not a pretty good golfer, he was one of the best of all time, certainly of links golf, which is unusual for an American. I hope that he carries on for many years on the Senior Tour and sine a few more Senior Opens before he is done.

For a classic sporting encounter, watch the 1977 Open at Turnberry. Brilliant stuff.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Legend, was unstoppable for a period. One of the few bets in sport you could do every event and win, and many did

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here