Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever attended a game where you paid no gate money,but had to buy the programme ?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The first ever game on a Sunday was Cambridge United v Oldham sometime in the early seventies. It was illegal to charge to go to sporting events on Sundays in those unenlightened days (!) and to get in you had to buy a programme (which I believe was 20 or 25 pence).

I was there.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Blagged it into the Arsenal v Newcastle FA cup final 1997 Wembley
Young lad on the turnstile didn't have a clue, 4 of us piled in for £20 and found a programme on the floor after the game, happy days

el punal

Kind of, back in 1973/74 season we played Hereford (?) on a Sunday at the Goldstone with a 2.00pm kick-off. Admission was by means of paying for a "membership card" or similar for the Albion. I believe it was a Sunday fixture because of the energy crisis at the time and no evening games could be played as the floodlights were not allowed to be switched on. I hope I'm right on all of this as my memory may be playing tricks!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Kind of, back in 1973/74 season we played Hereford (?) on a Sunday at the Goldstone with a 2.00pm kick-off. Admission was by means of paying for a "membership card" or similar for the Albion. I believe it was a Sunday fixture because of the energy crisis at the time and no evening games could be played as the floodlights were not allowed to be switched on. I hope I'm right on all of this as my memory may be playing tricks!

I dont recall much in way of detail but yes I recall the energy strike meaning we played a Sunday and definitely recall something like membership card

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I dont recall much in way of detail but yes I recall the energy strike meaning we played a Sunday and definitely recall something like membership card

Believe you could refuse to buy the membership card and legally the club had to let you in for free. I recall at the time a journalist did this and was asked to see the Chairman first before being admitted for free.

If those Sunday trading laws still existed to-day I would expect a complete reversal with 100% wanting to get in for free.

Am I confusing two memories? The membership card and the interrogation about whether I was a resident of Brighton. Or were these two unrelated occurrences?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have sneaked into grounds before without paying if that helps.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
The first ever game on a Sunday was Cambridge United v Oldham sometime in the early seventies. It was illegal to charge to go to sporting events on Sundays in those unenlightened days (!) and to get in you had to buy a programme (which I believe was 20 or 25 pence).

I was there.

Aye. It was Jan 74 at the time of the 3 day week with power usage limited because of the miners' strike. There were four 3rd round fa cup games scheduled to be the first Sunday games, but Cambridge brought their kick off time forward to get themselves into the record books.

Bolton v Stoke was one of the other games, & admission was by paying 40 or 60p for a team sheet. Around 40,000 turned out , & there was massive crowd trouble with loads of arrests & injuries with even a police horse getting punched.

After giving Stoke a fearful 3-2 beating, we drew away at Southampton & the replay had to be played on the Tuesday afternoon because the power couldn't be used for the floodlights.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here