Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help please to discover the title of a book

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Just a school memory really but wondered if anyone might remember a book that was part of my curriculum at school in the early 80's. My recollection of it is a bit sketchy but I remember it made me laugh quite a lot at the time and I'd like to revisit it as part of my therapy/counselling.

Based in the second world war it was book about life as viewed through the eyes of a child of maybe ten years old. I think it might have been in london and had funny and tragic stories about how hard life during and the bombings. One bit I do remember is about the character watching a film in the cinema (kids films on Saturday morning I think) and treading on something in the dark thinking it was someone's eye.

I have tried googling lots of phrases but had no luck as yet but if anyone can remember it I'd be grateful.

Many thanks

Not sure if it was a book, but it sounds like the 1987 film "Hope and Glory"

It's an Einkel!....Messerschmitt, 'Einkel!....Messerschmitt, 'Einkel!....Messerschmitt

rool

Jul 10, 2003

It's an Einkel!....Messerschmitt, 'Einkel!....Messerschmitt, 'Einkel!....Messerschmitt

I think it had that kind of feel to it

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Talking about books . Has anyone read the book called '' Look who's back'' - If not then I would recomend you buy and read immediately. It is one of the funniest books I have ever read.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No none of these so far, but thanks because the searches have come up with different lists of books now.

One of my sons read a book called Johnnie's Blitz by the author Bernard Ashley who apparently has written a few about living in London during the Blitz. Could it be that author perhaps?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Not wishing to be a pedant, but that line is from Battle of Britain.

Hope and Glory was the boys on the bomb sites shouting "Let's smash stuff up" and bribing girls so that they could look in their knickers. Sarah Miles was in it. Written and produced by John Boorman, Charley's Dad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I originally thought Carrie's War by Nina Bawden.

That was written from the child's perspective. Though in that one, the children were evacuated from London to somewhere in Wales, so doesn't quite fit the profile.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
No joy so far but thanks for the suggestions. I might try my old school's facebook page.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just a school memory really but wondered if anyone might remember a book that was part of my curriculum at school in the early 80's. My recollection of it is a bit sketchy but I remember it made me laugh quite a lot at the time and I'd like to revisit it as part of my therapy/counselling.

Based in the second world war it was book about life as viewed through the eyes of a child of maybe ten years old. I think it might have been in london and had funny and tragic stories about how hard life during and the bombings. One bit I do remember is about the character watching a film in the cinema (kids films on Saturday morning I think) and treading on something in the dark thinking it was someone's eye.

I have tried googling lots of phrases but had no luck as yet but if anyone can remember it I'd be grateful.

Many thanks
My google found

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0749950676/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here