Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Angela Merkel

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Germany's Angela Merkel has been criticised after telling a young refugee at risk of being deported: "Sometimes politics is hard."

The Palestinian girl was reduced to tears after explaining to the Chancellor how her family have been waiting for years to find out if they could stay permanently in Germany.

If permission is refused, they face being sent to a refugee camp in Lebanon.

The girl, identified as Reem, revealed during a question-and-answer session in the city of Rostock she wanted to go to university and said: “It's really unpleasant to watch others enjoy their life and not be able to enjoy it oneself."

Mrs Merkel's response, which has led to her being mocked online, was to tell the girl she was a "very nice person" before explaining Germany's asylum policy.

She told the girl, thought to be aged between 14 and 17: "I understand.

"However ... sometimes politics is hard.

"When you stand in front of me and you are a very nice person, but you know in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon there are thousands and thousands (of people) and if we say you can all come and you can all come from Africa and you can all come. We can't manage that."

With Reem crying, Mrs Merkel then walked up to her and put her hand on her shoulder, saying she had done a "great job" in explaining her story.

The event's moderator then spoke up, saying: "Chancellor, I don't think that it is about doing a good job here, but it is rather about the fact that it is a very difficult situation."

Mrs Merkel replied: "I know that it's a difficult situation and that's why I want to comfort her.

"Because we don't want to bring all of you into situations like this and because you are having a difficult time.”

Mrs Merkel was later criticised for her lack of empathy, with one tweeter saying: "#merkelstrokes with the cold hand of an ice queen"

The event moderator later defended the Chancellor, saying he respected the way she had tried to explain the political challenge of immigration to a child.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If any country is responsible for the plight of the Palestinians it is hers as much as anyone's.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Nothing but respect for what she did there. She is spot on in what she says.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Germany takes six times the amount of asylum seekers than any other European nation. 202,000 last year. The UK is 6th-behind (behind Hungary and Austria).

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Germany takes six times the amount of asylum seekers than any other European nation. 202,000 last year. The UK is 6th-behind (behind Hungary and Austria).

And they have done so for some time, you can only admire the German people are their ability to be able process hundreds of thousands of people arriving in their country in this way...........

Given the efficiency they can bring to bear in this area maybe they can up their game again, they evidently have before, no reason they can't do so again.

Go Deutschsland.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And they have done so for some time, you can only admire the German people are their ability to be able process hundreds of thousands of people arriving in their country in this way...........

Given the efficiency they can bring to bear in this area maybe they can up their game again, they evidently have before, no reason they can't do so again.

Go Deutschsland.

Well...they have had plenty of historical practice in ' processing ' hundreds of thousands of people in their country so they are well skilled at it.....they come in......they settle.....they disappear.....easy.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

We need to be very careful with statements such as this. Are you talking about asylum seekers or economic migrants? And where have they come from? Germany takes in thousands of Poles who then return home. They are not asylum seekers, granted, but it is possible to lump everyone together. I am not saying that they don't do their bit, but am dubious as to your assertion that they take in 6 times more than anyone else. This seems very high.
If you plumb in (and of course you may already have done so) "statistik fur einwanderer in die bundesrepublik" then the graphs will help and don't need any translating.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We need to be very careful with statements such as this. Are you talking about asylum seekers or economic migrants? And where have they come from? Germany takes in thousands of Poles who then return home. They are not asylum seekers, granted, but it is possible to lump everyone together. I am not saying that they don't do their bit, but am dubious as to your assertion that they take in 6 times more than anyone else. This seems very high.
If you plumb in (and of course you may already have done so) "statistik fur einwanderer in die bundesrepublik" then the graphs will help and don't need any translating.

I googled which EU countries receive the most asylum seekers.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/da...-eu-countries-receive-the-most-asylum-seekers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That report says that Germany receives six times as many, not takes them in - I would guess that Germany takes in a fair few but that's not mentioned

EDIT: just found some stats on asylum granted and Germany tops that too - about three and a half times that of the UK
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...m_statistics#Decisions_on_asylum_applications

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Thanks for this. I just looked at it and it talks merely of over 200,000 applicants -this is not necessarily the same as you are claiming. As an aside, I wonder how many are genuine asylum seekers as opposed to economic migrants - if they are persecuted at home, and I don't doubt that some will have been, it just seems strange that they just all chance upon the country seen as the wealthiest in the EU.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for this. I just looked at it and it talks merely of over 200,000 applicants -this is not necessarily the same as you are claiming. As an aside, I wonder how many are genuine asylum seekers as opposed to economic migrants - if they are persecuted at home, and I don't doubt that some will have been, it just seems strange that they just all chance upon the country seen as the wealthiest in the EU.

I didn't claim anything. I posted a link to an article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here