Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 50 sharks filmed swimming off Selsey

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
From Wikipedia.

'Smooth hounds, the common smooth hound will aggregate in large numbers, like a pack of dogs. This is why they are called hounds'

Guess its normal then, I always thought that they were solitary predators learn something new everyday eh.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Pretty much just a type of dogfish. Being an angler I can vouch that they're good fun to catch, averaging between 3-20lb in weight. Quite funny when you're standing in water up to your knees and these things are cruising behind you! Happens occasionally on Brighton beach(well, Hove actually) and over Shoreham.......peeler crab is a very good bait for them btw

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Last summer I was paddling in Swanage bay, towing my 5 year old daughter in a dinghy, when a (what I now know to be) Dogfish - about 18 inches long - suddenly swan between my ankles.

Scared the shit out of me. :ohmy:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Therein lies the image problem they have.

It isn't. It's majestic.

Absolutely this. I would love to have put my snorkle and flippers on and gone swimming with them. What an experience would that be

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
That's pretty cool. We went to Cape Verde earlier this year and there is a bay where loads of lemon sharks congregate. Walking out in to waist deep water with them swimming only a few feet away was amazing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's pretty cool. We went to Cape Verde earlier this year and there is a bay where loads of lemon sharks congregate. Walking out in to waist deep water with them swimming only a few feet away was amazing.

On a cruise a few years ago, we stopped at Gibraltar and as the place is like a horrible version of Blackpool, we decided to do a dolphin watch boat trip. Normally that is seeing a fin half a mile away after 4 hours squinting at the sea, but in the bay of Gibraltar there were somewhere in the region of 400 dolphins all playing and jumping out of the water, surfing in our wakes, mums and babies ...it was fantastic and the best sight I have ever seen. Seemly they were chasing a huge shoal of flying fish and they ended up in the bay.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On a cruise a few years ago, we stopped at Gibraltar and as the place is like a horrible version of Blackpool, we decided to do a dolphin watch boat trip. Normally that is seeing a fin half a mile away after 4 hours squinting at the sea, but in the bay of Gibraltar there were somewhere in the region of 400 dolphins all playing and jumping out of the water, surfing in our wakes, mums and babies ...it was fantastic and the best sight I have ever seen. Seemly they were chasing a huge shoal of flying fish and they ended up in the bay.

My dad used to have a boat in Gib, and to be fair we used to see those black and white dolphins all the time. Dozens of them. The local dolphin population actively look for boats to come and play with.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here