Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Best 'jobs' within Sport

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The best two as I see it are Cricket Commentator.....worldwide travel, talk for 15 minutes then drink expensive red wine or alternatively tennis Guru....pump fists and grimace Cermmmm Orrrrn between points.

I'm in.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
0agyLTCi.jpeg

This chap has it made.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Friend of mine was a Producer on Talksport Breakfast show for a few years.Lots of Trips to major and not so major sporting events thrown in ,money wasn't the best though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is nothing in cycling I'd recommend, beyond riding the bike.
Everything else seems like seriously hard work.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Don't know if anyone heard this week's Football Weekly release; Barry Glendenning interviewing Matt le Tissier. He makes the Soccer Saturday gig out to be the best job going. And to be fair I could think of worse things than being paid a lot of money to sit about watching football with a load of mates, occasionally mispronouncing a few players' names whilst Jeff Stelling does all the hard work holding the show together.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was offered a job at The Cricketer (having done an internship there). I turned it down as the pay was lousy but I thought what an ideal job it would be ... until I met a cricket reporter for one of the nationals who was moaning like hell about his forthcoming tour.

He said that when he started. he was a massive cricket fan and thought he'd had his ideal job but after a decade of it, he was beginning to hate cricket. Made me think I had a lucky escape

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Football scout.. Travel around Europe, possibly the world watching football.. Could think of worse jobs.

You obviously haven't read "The Nowhere Men". And on that subject there are some cracking yarns in it from Barry Lloyd not least of which involved advice he gave to Russell Slade about Liam Dickinson. Nearly wet myself over that one

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
You obviously haven't read "The Nowhere Men". And on that subject there are some cracking yarns in it from Barry Lloyd not least of which involved advice he gave to Russell Slade about Liam Dickinson. Nearly wet myself over that one

No I haven't, presume it shows the less glamorous side to it then?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't know if anyone heard this week's Football Weekly release; Barry Glendenning interviewing Matt le Tissier. He makes the Soccer Saturday gig out to be the best job going. And to be fair I could think of worse things than being paid a lot of money to sit about watching football with a load of mates, occasionally mispronouncing a few players' names whilst Jeff Stelling does all the hard work holding the show together.

I did a feature on Soccer Saturday once, just after Jeff Stelling's book came out (somewhere behind the Times paywall, I'm afraid). The day involved turning up when Le Tiss and the rest did and basically laughing myself stupid for about five hours. It's even funnier during the commercial breaks when the drinks and eats come round. Once Merson assumed he had time to polish off a tuna ciabatta because nothing was happening in his game so the cameras wouldn't be on him then someone scored out of the blue from 35 yards and he had to spit half-eaten sandwich all over the desk so that he could speak when Stelling came to him. Phil Thompson (I think it was) nearly pissed himself.

But Jeff Stelling is an absolute pro. An awful lot of hard work goes into making it look so effortless.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
A neighbour of my father in law, and now a friend of mine, was chief sports editor for the Press Association (who write reports and then sell them to the press around the globe) He was paid to attend every major sporting event, from the rugby world cup in 2003, to Ashes 2005, to boxing world title events etc, for many years. This is his book...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Deadlifne-Off-Beat-Observations-Adventures/dp/1909626465

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here