Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'toughness' of the Championship 2015-16 edition

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There seems to be a fair few clubs 'going for it' this year. Off the top of my head, and to varying degrees...

Derby
Middlesbrough
Sheffield Wednesday
Brentford
Leeds
Reading

Additionally, you'd have to expect Burnley, Hull, Forest, Wolves and Ipswich to all be having a tilt at the right end of the table, whilst Bristol City arrive with a lot of positive momentum.

It's going to be tough, isn't it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There seems to be a fair few clubs 'going for it' this year. Off the top of my head, and to varying degrees...

Derby
Middlesbrough
Sheffield Wednesday
Brentford
Leeds
Reading

Additionally, you'd have to expect Burnley, Hull, Forest, Wolves and Ipswich to all be having a tilt at the right end of the table, whilst Bristol City arrive with a lot of positive momentum.

It's going to be tough, isn't it?

Having touted Brentford last year I expect them to struggle this season. Although they played nice football, when I watched them, I always felt they were a 'lucky' team.

Personally think Derby and Middlesboro, will run away with it.

I would hope we would be in the next 8-10 teams vying for a play-off spot.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think we will be an also ran this season and play some ****ing turgid football to boot, hope I'm wrong particularly about the last part.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It does appear with the "relaxation" as such of FFP and what happened last season (Bournemouth going up) that it's encouraged more clubs to spend some serious money.

Whether we follow suit remains to be seen.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Said it on another thread but with no parachute payments Boro and smaller crowds signing £5m players where the **** is OUR £5m signing?

And with the wages freed up with Kemi, CMS etc.

I await the offifcial response from Chailey Jem with GLEE.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the other hand, no-one picked Burnley as a club 'going for it' two years ago.

Because in terms of splashing the cash, they weren't.

So as well as all those spending gazillions, we are also faced with some plucky minnow over-achieving. We might as well give up now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Based on the starting line-up for the Saints run-out, the only people in the Championship that line-up is going to be striking fear into the hearts of, is the Albion faithful. Very weak-looking squad. IMHO, like.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Because in terms of splashing the cash, they weren't.

So as well as all those spending gazillions, we are also faced with some plucky minnow over-achieving. We might as well give up now.

Agree. Bloom said in the 1901 original presentations when the Amex was built that "there was a five year plan" and when we are in the Premier League numerous times. Poor fella he probably meant League One which is the Albions natural home.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Indeed, as it stands and as I have said before, lower mid-table I would take right now. Some very strong sides in this Championship, but I am sure we shall spend a few more £££s yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not looking good for the Albion as things stand. Our bestest team may be able to compete a bit but once the injuries, suspensions and lack of form kick in the current squad is going to be making a beeline for the bottom of the division.

I suppose we have to "keep the faith" and hope that we do actually land some decent creative and pacey front men before the window closes. Get the impression we'll be left with the dregs and rather average loans again if we don't make our moves soon though :down:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree. Bloom said in the 1901 original presentations when the Amex was built that "there was a five year plan" and when we are in the Premier League numerous times. Poor fella he probably meant League One which is the Albions natural home.

The goal posts have been moved since then though. One big effort was made and since then it's been a bit of a fiasco.on the pitch.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
How tough is the Championship this year? I mean, you can never tell until you're half way through the season. Teams start strongly and then fade off, and other teams have a good run at the end and slip into the playoffs. Anything can happen.

It's ALWAYS tough, and we made it to the playoffs twice, once only 1 win away from auto promotion, so with that in mind I think we'll be playing at the right end of the table this year. I'd like to think last season was just a blip.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's not looking good for the Albion as things stand. Our bestest team may be able to compete a bit but once the injuries, suspensions and lack of form kick in the current squad is going to be making a beeline for the bottom of the division.

I suppose we have to "keep the faith" and hope that we do actually land some decent creative and pacey front men before the window closes. Get the impression we'll be left with the dregs and rather average loans again if we don't make our moves soon though :down:

Cheer up mate , you would think that Hyppia and Burke were still at the club with that sort of attitude :wink: :lol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cheer up mate , you would think that Hyppia and Burke were still at the club with that sort of attitude :wink: :lol:

I'll cheer up when the quality creative and pacey signings are revealed....it did seem for a while that we were going to move early this close season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
On the other hand, no-one picked Burnley as a club 'going for it' two years ago.

Or Palace (who'd finished 17th in 11/12) in 12/13.
Four Four Two mag last year tipped Wigan for promotion.
And many feared Fulham especially after they "went for it" with£10msignings or forest last year with £8m signing and look how that ended up.
As for spending . We still spent big last year lest we forget. So we went for it too. On what turned out to be duffers. Sadly
So who knows ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here