Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Part-exchanging a car - room for morality?!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Just about to part ex my car at an independent dealer and we agree on a value but as there are a couple of minor issues they have offered slightly less which I am happy with but, and here's the rub - it has an issue with the turbo which probably needs replacing and the gears have started to 'slip' meaning the gearbox could also need replacing as well (any mechanics offering advice on this last point would be appreciated?!).

These turbo/ gearbox issues would render my part ex worthless - should I own up or just shut the fvck up and recite 'caveat emptor' as I drive off in my new chariot?!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No, just do the deal. They'll sell the car at auction anyway and will probably make a loss on the part-ex price that they gave you. They make their money on the new car that you bought, which is why you can usually negotiate a much better deal when you're a cash buyer with no car to part-ex.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Depends how you feel about another punter getting stung. It won't be the dealer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm amazed a Green supporter has a car let alone one with a turbo.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Errrrr......because the turbo keeps cutting out and the gears are 'slippong' for want of a better phrase!

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Suppose you were the sort of person who knew nothing about cars. Those people part exchange cars every day without a clue what might/might not go wrong with it in the coming months. I'd say don't worry about it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Caveat emptor. If an independant garage is prepared to give you a px price and you are happy with it, then take it. It's up to them to look your car over and come up with their offer. As previous posts say, they will have enough margin in the price of your new car. Just make sure it comes with some kind of guarantee you are happy with.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Take the deal offered. There is a reason why car salesmen are well known for being untrustworthy. No need to feel sympathy for them :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here