Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trade Union reform.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yes,i am a Union member and yes i have been on strike through the currant voting system whilst working for a UK Listed company and althought some ballots have been small to be told by any M/P of any party this has to change sounds reasonable on the face of it until you see the figures,why 40% in favour on a turnout of 50%. Just how many M/Ps get 40% of the popular vote ?

c144848f4ff8f01f15520882322124a9.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes,i am a Union member and yes i have been on strike through the currant voting system whilst working for a UK Listed company and althought some ballots have been small to be told by any M/P of any party this has to change sounds reasonable on the face of it until you see the figures,why 40% in favour on a turnout of 50%. Just how many M/Ps get 40% of the popular vote ?

I'm not convinced that you are comparing apples with apples. If no candidate for MP gets 40% then how is the constituency meant to be represented in Parliament ? What if no MP gets that majority - is the UK meant to run without a government and a parliament ?

Now if a Union doesn't get 40% for a strike what happens ? Ah, yes, everyone goes about day to day life as normal.

The two situations aren't remotely similar.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Now the Tories have unchained control expect workers rights to be eroded. Some of us will be liking the EU come the end of this parliament.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The sinister bit is the allowing of agency workers to scab in strikes, if it is about a mandate and the mandate is achieved then why are they allowing scab labour to be bought in ?

Scab is a very seventies word and says everything about the hard left

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally I think it's about time.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I'm not convinced that you are comparing apples with apples. If no candidate for MP gets 40% then how is the constituency meant to be represented in Parliament ? What if no MP gets that majority - is the UK meant to run without a government and a parliament ?

Now if a Union doesn't get 40% for a strike what happens ? Ah, yes, everyone goes about day to day life as normal.

The two situations aren't remotely similar.

Westdene point is for most MP,s 'get in' in or around 32/38 % vote in their favour. Now how in the dam well ask for Unions to get 40% ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The sinister bit is the allowing of agency workers to scab in strikes, if it is about a mandate and the mandate is achieved then why are they allowing scab labour to be bought in ?

'Allowing' and 'scab', in the same sentence! Stegosaurus, The Ark, 70's or just history, which one is the best description of you Ernest?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

So, if someone wants to strike they should be permitted to but if someone else wants to work they should not be allowed to?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
About time I am seriously thinking of resigning from my Union given the recent mandate they have passed internally where higher earners pay more than lower earners in subs.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
About time I am seriously thinking of resigning from my Union given the recent mandate they have passed internally where higher earners pay more than lower earners in subs.

Is it the cubs?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I take this will be the next thing the SNP will vote against? In which case it won't happen..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I take this will be the next thing the SNP will vote against? In which case it won't happen..

It will happen if the Tories want it to.

The hunting reform was a 'free vote' and there were sufficient Tory rebels such that the bill would have been defeated with the SNP also voting against.

I suspect on a matter such as this, the Tory majority, regardless of being slim, will be sufficient to see it passed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Westdene point is for most MP,s 'get in' in or around 32/38 % vote in their favour. Now how in the dam well ask for Unions to get 40% ?

But I'll repeat, the two situations aren't remotely similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here