Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Auschwitz bookkeeper

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hope he gets beaten to death on the last day of his four years banged up, the horrible old c***.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
To my ignorance I don't know much about this individual case, what I do wonder is if he refused to work for the Nazis at the time what would have happened to him, not that this is an excuse for the man, but how easily was it anyone stationed there to walk away from such a evil network?

I feel for the poor souls that died and can't believe how human beings can be so evil, how war can turn people into monsters, we see it still today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To my ignorance I don't know much about this individual case, what I do wonder is if he refused to work for the Nazis at the time what would have happened to him, not that this is an excuse for the man, but how easily was it anyone stationed there to walk away from such a evil network?

I feel for the poor souls that died and can't believe how human beings can be so evil, how war can turn people into monsters, we see it still today.
Agreed. Terrible evil that was done.

But you do wonder how much choice he really had (and whether one of those choices involved being put up against a wall and shot).

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I agree with Caveman and GT49er. Anyone who has studied social psychology will know that peer pressure is enormous in such situations and that horrendous acts can somehow seem acceptable when everyone undertakes them. I am not saying that it is right but there would have been enormous pressure to follow orders from senior Nazis or the Gestapo.

Deepest sympathy for those who died at the hands of the Nazis, whatever the circumstances.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

But you do wonder how much choice he really had (and whether one of those choices involved being put up against a wall and shot).

It's was the same our side, join up or potentially face prison, you then went to war and killed someone's brother, dad, son etc people who probably didn't really want to be fighting anyway. Kill or be killed.

I'm sure he has served a sentence of sorts, one he rightly deserved. I will have to read up to know more tbh.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not joining the S.S.would have been a start. More chance of him being sent to the a Russian front then though, which was more or less a death sentence. He got away with it for 70 odd years, probably has kids, grandchildren,etc and lived a good life, so a four year stretch is a bit of a result, really
I think they had to volunteer to serve on the Einstatzgruppen, the units that ran the camps, so he isn't such an innocent as he potrays himself

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Not joining the S.S.would have been a start. More chance of him being sent to the a Russian front then though, which was more or less a death sentence. He got away with it for 70 odd years, probably has kids, grandchildren, and lived a good life, so a four year stretch is a bit of a result, really

Pretty much this. He volunteered for the Waffen SS in 1939 well before the Nazis invaded Russia, those who didn't support the regime or what it stood for would not have done this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I agree with Caveman and GT49er. Anyone who has studied social psychology will know that peer pressure is enormous in such situations and that horrendous acts can somehow seem acceptable when everyone undertakes them.

I suspect once more evidence comes out about Hillsborough peer pressure will be very relevant

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It's was the same our side, join up or potentially face prison, you then went to war and killed someone's brother, dad, son etc people who probably didn't really want to be fighting anyway. Kill or be killed.

Might have been the case during World War One but the British authorities were a bit more understanding during the Second World War, those who conscientiously objected were often given the opportunity to be conscripted into essential war industries or as medical orderlies.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I suspect once more evidence comes out about Hillsborough peer pressure will be very relevant

Comparing Hillsborough and death camps is probably not the best example tbh.

If this guy subscribed to the SS then I'm sure when more details of the case come out he will be shown up for what he was, he will deserve everything coming to him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i listened to one of the people on the radio today and another earlier on tv who were imprisoned in that horrible place...there stories were incredible especially how they have come to terms with there experiences. I suggest the young man who started the thread listen to ..it may help his anger.

2 Different views which i respect:

One of the survivors, Eva Kor, said she forgave Groening, and a picture of her shaking his hand was tweeted earlier this year.

Watching him carefully was a small elderly man with bright eyes. Leon Schwarzbaum was 22 when he was transported to Auschwitz. He told me he is now 94 - the same age as Groening.
He pointed to the tattooed numbers on his arm. "When they punched this on my arm they told me no-one lasts long in Auschwitz."
After the verdict, I saw him again; four years is the right sentence, he said, after all he's an old man.
Can he forgive Oskar Groening, I asked? "No," he replied. "I lost 30 members of my family in Auschwitz."

Last edited:

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Wonderful. Perhaps Jihadi John will have trouble sleeping tonight - they will catch you in the end.

In Germany there is a faintly detectable feeling that the trial was a bit of a pointless exercise. I can't help but contrast this with the attitude of the Dutch who were delighted when justice caught up with one of their own who joined the SS for the promise of a police job, see here. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/exss-man-88-guilty-of-wartime-deaths-1925648.html

Everyone has a choice in life.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Comparing Hillsborough and death camps is probably not the best example tbh.

If this guy subscribed to the SS then I'm sure when more details of the case come out he will be shown up for what he was, he will deserve everything coming to him.

I am not comparing the two just pointing out something about peer pressure

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

The Nazi leadership did worry about the effect the killings had on their own men, and those few that did not want to play any part, were transferred to regular Army units. Peer pressure will have doubtless played its part plus in the case of the younger ones, relentless propaganda at school against "subhuman" jews and slavs. Initially, you had to volunteer for the SS, which was a source of pride, and so whilst you were posted to the camps, as opposed to choosing to go, you did not get there totally by accident. It was also, believe it or not, a rather cushy number, relatively speaking, as you were hardly likely to be shot at by the Russians. I do, therefore, have little sympathy with these characters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here