Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Greatest Ricky Ponting Ashes Moments

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Whilst we await Thursday's fest of bat'n'ball, I was pondering on my favourite Ricky Ponting moments over the years. Here they are..

Ponting Run Out's

2005-Trent Bridge

Simon Jones off injured. Gary Pratt is the substitute fielder. Martyn calls a quick single and Ponting is ran out from cover with a direct hit. Legitimate use of a sub fielder. Except that the sub fielder, who can't even make the Durham XI, is regarded as the best in England....

2009-The Oval

Freddie runs Ponting out with a direct hit from Mid-on. England go on to win The Ashes that day. Special for me as I was sitting 50 yards away.

2005-Edgbaston

Ricky comes in after Langer is removed by Freddie and spends the next 5 balls bouncing him around the crease. A fast leg cutter comes next and Jones takes the catch behind. England go on to level 1-1.

2010-Melbourne

England 235-2. Pieterson appears to edge Siddle behind. Ricky calls a review and hot spot and snicko show no contact with the bat. He continues to remonstrate with umpire. Australia has been bowled out for 98 earlier. England by an innings.

I miss our Ricky. I saw his first ever innings in Test Cricket and regard him as an all time great. The entertainment of his captaincy has been added fun.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd forgotten by how much England had humiliated Australia in Melbourne in 2010. Although I do remember 90 000 empty seats at the MCG for the last couple of days - those passionate Aussie sports fans.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I quite enjoyed it when he dropped an absolute DOLLY of a catch off Hopkinson in the warm match against Sussex in 2009, Hopkinson went on to make a ton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is making me cringe. England have come off far worse at the hands of Ponting, about ten times over. One of the worlds greatest ever cricketers.

That Gary Pratt incident was quality though, but not unreasonable - whilst Jones was off for good reason, England had been absolutely taking the piss with substitute fielders.

I believe Ponting was captain for this one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6204092.stm

How the f*ck did England lose from that position?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When Tony Cozier , from Glamorgan CCC, came on as 12th man in the First Test Mark Taylor on TMS said" Surely you've got some pratts to choose from". Not bad for an Aussie.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I loved it when he got smashed in the face fielding close in. Credit to him he took it like a man, but I can imagine him collapsing when he got off the field!

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
I quite enjoyed it when he dropped an absolute DOLLY of a catch off Hopkinson in the warm match against Sussex in 2009, Hopkinson went on to make a ton.
Remember that well. My son and I were sitting with a load of tanked up Aussies. As the ball went to Ponting they all stood to applaud the catch. When the ball hit the deck they just sat back down silent and took some superb stick from all around. They took it well though and remember it being one of the best days at the ground.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is making me cringe. England have come off far worse at the hands of Ponting, about ten times over. One of the worlds greatest ever cricketers.

That Gary Pratt incident was quality though, but not unreasonable - whilst Jones was off for good reason, England had been absolutely taking the piss with substitute fielders.

I believe Ponting was captain for this one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6204092.stm

How the f*ck did England lose from that position?

Why is it making you cringe? I don't think anyone is denying that he was a TOP cricketer but that doesn't stop us CHUCKLING at him.

As for the Adelaide test, I was in Sydney at the time and had to make a concious effort to avoid walking past any bars on my way back from work once it became apparent we'd f**ked it up. That has to go down as our worst defeat in terms of throwing a good position away.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And he got a mention in the 'take the urn home' song :)

Great cricketer but a bit of a **** and an easy to hate figure. And yes that Pratt run out was amazing - the way he gobbed off at Fletcher the whole time he was walking off was quality.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst we await Thursday's fest of bat'n'ball, I was pondering on my favourite Ricky Ponting moments over the years. Here they are..

Ponting Run Out's

2005-Trent Bridge

Simon Jones off injured. Gary Pratt is the substitute fielder. Martyn calls a quick single and Ponting is ran out from cover with a direct hit. Legitimate use of a sub fielder. Except that the sub fielder, who can't even make the Durham XI, is regarded as the best in England....

2009-The Oval

Freddie runs Ponting out with a direct hit from Mid-on. England go on to win The Ashes that day. Special for me as I was sitting 50 yards away.

2005-Edgbaston

Ricky comes in after Langer is removed by Freddie and spends the next 5 balls bouncing him around the crease. A fast leg cutter comes next and Jones takes the catch behind. England go on to level 1-1.

2010-Melbourne

England 235-2. Pieterson appears to edge Siddle behind. Ricky calls a review and hot spot and snicko show no contact with the bat. He continues to remonstrate with umpire. Australia has been bowled out for 98 earlier. England by an innings.

I miss our Ricky. I saw his first ever innings in Test Cricket and regard him as an all time great. The entertainment of his captaincy has been added fun.

Great memories - they are great, though, because a lot of the time he pretty much owned us to be honest.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why is it making you cringe? I don't think anyone is denying that he was a TOP cricketer but that doesn't stop us CHUCKLING at him.

As for the Adelaide test, I was in Sydney at the time and had to make a concious effort to avoid walking past any bars on my way back from work once it became apparent we'd f**ked it up. That has to go down as our worst defeat in terms of throwing a good position away.

It was the only time I've felt genuinely angry watching a cricket match. Even now, I can't look at the 4th day score card without anger welling up!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It was fun baiting him, but at the end of the day he was a superb cricketer and a good captain. I saw his last Ashes innings in England, at the Oval in 2009, the day we took the urn. The genuine sense of respect the England fans felt for him was shown when he came out to bat and when he walked back in after he run out by Flintoff. The whole ground stood to him on both occasions.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brilliant cricketer, hard as nails competitor, and decent bloke from all I've seen.

If he'd been English, we'd have adored him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here