Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This equal pay for men and women business

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33515629

Of course all women should get paid equally to men, if doing the same job with the same amount of experience, etc. But I'm not convinced by the government's evidence that this isn't generally happening already.

Do women get paid less than men where you work? They don't where I work nor anywhere that I have worked.

I'm just interested to know how much of a problem there actually is.

I did some quick calculations and, based on getting a 3% pay rise for each year of experience, based on women having two years off for maternity leave (yes, I realise not all women do this, and some men do the child rearing, etc.) you would expect them to earn approx 6% less due to having 2 years less experience. Though perhaps my calcs are way out. The government say there is a 9% disparity.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Women are paid the same as men where I work too.

With regard to your point about maternity leave, I think you will find that women remain employed (if they remain with the same employer) during their period of maternity leave and as such are legally entitled to any increases in pay or annual leave on a par with everyone else.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I don't think there is an issue where I work. At least I hope not, they have a process that match your job description to the industry average for the role not gender. I can not say what it is like in other companies or industries, but if a woman is doing the same job as a man then the pay should be the same.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

With regard to your point about maternity leave, I think you will find that women remain employed (if they remain with the same employer) during their period of maternity leave and as such are legally entitled to any increases in pay or annual leave on a par with everyone else.

Wherever i have worked its been meritocratic rather than based on experience. I can point to plenty of people who have worked five years more but can't do the job nearly as well, and so deservedly get paid less. Male or female doesn't come into the equation as should be the case.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Hmmm, you might be right, though I think pay increases here were in line with performance. And this wouldn't include promotions presumably? My 3% per year was to take into account promotions as well as regular pay increases. You wouldn't get promoted to a more senior level as soon if you were off for a year, and the affect on your progression (due to having to catch up to where you left off) would be greater than a year.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Much of it doesn't revolve around pay rates and salaries. A great deal looks at what women earn as a result of being part-time. Once you figure this in, the amount they receive is less. The secret is then to look at the reasons WHY women are part-time workers (maternity, caring, etc.) more often than men, and to discover if there's anything that companies can do to encourage women to work full-time (childcare assistance, crèches, etc.) thereby levelling the overall gender pay gap.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If women do the same job as men then they should be paid the same money, end of. Now for the real world......

Women can be bricklayers, men can be school dinner staff, women can be plumbers and men can do domestic home help roles. But until these kind of positions are shared equally between the sexes men will continue to be paid more than women overall. No amount of campaigning for fairer pay can change the basic economic truths.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The ONS report conducted last autumn actually shows that women in their 20s and 30s are getting paid more per hour than equivalent aged men. Women working part time also earn signficantly more per hour (10%) than male part time workers.

The disparity comes from women choosing to go into lower paid professions and generally having different career aspirations. The solution would be to encourage girls to choose STEM subjects; however I don't think that getting a 50/50 split is realistic just because of the way boys and girls think and their aims in life.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmmm, you might be right, though I think pay increases here were in line with performance. And this wouldn't include promotions presumably? My 3% per year was to take into account promotions as well as regular pay increases. You wouldn't get promoted to a more senior level as soon if you were off for a year, and the affect on your progression (due to having to catch up to where you left off) would be greater than a year.

My daughter got promoted whilst on maternity leave.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't know of any women in the trade, which makes me wonder, WHAT do women actually do?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
When people want to pay the same amount of money to watch it

Serena Williams got as much as Novak Djokovic...must be wrong..much lesser standard as well as being best of three rather than five.

I feel that most women get the same as there male counterparts,however for sure more women than men work part time/look after house/children etc. Admittedly less than in the past but still most men are the Breadwinner...
My Wife had and still has good job but is fortunate that as marriage and children came along her employer allowed her to work less hours.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If women do the same job as men then they should be paid the same money, end of. Now for the real world......

Women can be bricklayers, men can be school dinner staff, women can be plumbers and men can do domestic home help roles. But until these kind of positions are shared equally between the sexes men will continue to be paid more than women overall. No amount of campaigning for fairer pay can change the basic economic truths.

I think your correct, the disparity does not come with woman and men doing the same role, but the different roles they choose, and you hope it's their choice. How you fix that is beyond me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree where woman are doing the same job to the same level I believe they are paid the same salary in most organisations, certainly they are in ours. Quite often though they are not as good as men, are harder to manage and therefore they are paid less. That's the reality, and I don't see anything wrong or sexist in that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree where woman are doing the same job to the same level I believe they are paid the same salary in most organisations, certainly they are in ours. Quite often though they are not as good as men, are harder to manage and therefore they are paid less. That's the reality, and I don't see anything wrong or sexist in that.

Possibly something wrong with your recruitment program though?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Serena Williams got as much as Novak Djokovic...must be wrong..much lesser standard as well as being best of three rather than five.

I feel that most women get the same as there male counterparts,however for sure more women than men work part time/look after house/children etc. Admittedly less than in the past but still most men are the Breadwinner...
My Wife had and still has good job but is fortunate that as marriage and children came along her employer allowed her to work less hours.

I was thinking about this when Wimbledon was on, and wondered why do women only play 3 sets and not 5 in Grand Slam tournaments? - it would be like a woman's football match being played over 60 minutes rather than over 90 like in the men's game.

(not worried about who gets paid what, etc but genuinely wondered why they play shorter matches?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here