Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The foxhunting vote fiasco - UK politics at its worst?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
BBC: The SNP group at Westminster is to vote against attempts to relax the ban on fox hunting in England and Wales.

Angus Robertson, leader of the group, said the party wanted to send a message to the Conservative government about the narrowness of its majority.

I see that Cameron's now come out and cancelled the free vote.

Did he ever have any intention of holding the vote, or was this simply a ruse to flush out the SNP's lie about not voting on purely English issues? Why else would a Prime Minister choose a motion almost guaranteed to be defeated in a free vote, making him and the government look weak?

Do either the Tories or the SNP actually give a sh1te about the foxhunting issue?

The Tories have fanned the flames of division when surely the time following an election is one to try and bring the country together?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why the **** are the tories changing the rules anyway, it doesn't make any sense for anyone other than a few toffs in the countryside.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't there another twist to this?

The Westminster vote was to change the English and Welsh hunting rules to be aligned with those in Scotland.

SNP now say they want to align their looser rules with the English/Welsh ones.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think the problem is the SNP want it both ways, they want their own parliament so England and Wales have no say on their issues, but want to be able to stick their nose in to things that only affect England and Wales. As for Fox hunting I don't understand why there should be another vote. It's banned and let it stay that way.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
BBC: The SNP group at Westminster is to vote against attempts to relax the ban on fox hunting in England and Wales.

Angus Robertson, leader of the group, said the party wanted to send a message to the Conservative government about the narrowness of its majority.

I see that Cameron's now come out and cancelled the free vote.

Did he ever have any intention of holding the vote, or was this simply a ruse to flush out the SNP's lie about not voting on purely English issues? Why else would a Prime Minister choose a motion almost guaranteed to be defeated in a free vote, making him and the government look weak?

Do either the Tories or the SNP actually give a sh1te about the foxhunting issue?

The Tories have fanned the flames of division when surely the time following an election is one to try and bring the country together?

I do seem to remember him even going up there to support the Scots staying in the Union ,now it seems he might have changed his mind
the man is an idiot and could not find his own backside with both hands, loves playing politics, but I think he might have met his match in thatcher with a kilt.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Isn't there another twist to this?

The Westminster vote was to change the English and Welsh hunting rules to be aligned with those in Scotland.

SNP now say they want to align their looser rules with the English/Welsh ones.

there will always be a fight
my money is on the lady

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was in their election manifesto. What do you expect?

Yes, but they wouldn't have known the SNP would win 50+ seats and then decide to vote on the issue.

That's what I mean, the Tories have gone back on their manifesto, the SNP have gone back on their pledge not to vote on purely English issues, politically England is now pitted against Scotland, class hatred has been stirred up once more. This is exactly the sort of political shenanigans that puts off voters in their droves.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A shameless attempt by Cameron to amend the act rather than have a full and open debate on repeal. The bloody idiot got what he deserved, he is massively out of step with the public on this one.

Just a short while into this parliament and he is already trying to get fox hunting back, what better example of the 'in it for themselves' mentality do you want from this government. Good job on getting your priorities right Dave.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why are they even debating this triviality? Fox-hunting has rightly gone the way of bear-baiting in this country in this century. What is WRONG with these people? Sake!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why are they even debating this triviality? Fox-hunting has rightly gone the way of bear-baiting in this country in this century. What is WRONG with these people? Sake!

Not in Scotland where an unlimited number of dogs can be used. You're Scottish aren't you?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, but they wouldn't have known the SNP would win 50+ seats and then decide to vote on the issue.

That's what I mean, the Tories have gone back on their manifesto, the SNP have gone back on their pledge not to vote on purely English issues, politically England is now pitted against Scotland, class hatred has been stirred up once more. This is exactly the sort of political shenanigans that puts off voters in their droves.

It's a free vote... so what is the point in continuing if you aren't going to have a decent chance of winning. While disappointing, particularly in the light of the SNP playing political games, it seems the pragmatic thing to do. Then bring it back when we have EVEL and win easily. :laugh:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not in Scotland where an unlimited number of dogs can be used. You're Scottish aren't you?

Are you implying that poor old Tom Hark, Preston Park cannot comment on a subject concerning English law..... you devil.... I like it.....

Yeah mind your own business Tom Hark, Preston Park coming down here supporting our clubs, haven't you got enough crap clubs to choose from north of the border !! :smile:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
apparently 75% of the public are against foxhunting, now if that is right the local electorate and party members only have to threaten the MP with a by-election and hey presto the greedy Bar stewards will comply with the locals.
they certainly will not want to be thrown off the gravy train and God forbid cause another election
let sleeping dogs lie and foxes run

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here