Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Los Angeles Hotels - Advice

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Any LA hotel recommendations from fellow NSC'ers?

Looking at Venice Beach at the moment as it seems to be the starting point for most LA tours and busses etc.

Cheers!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally I would stay in Santa Monica, was not a fan of Venice Beach.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I stayed at 'The Garland' in North Hollywood two years ago: beautiful hotel, superb staff. I'd recommend it: http://www.thegarland.com. It's a a bit out of the way but the shuttle buses take you there from the airport and will come back to collect you. Have a look on trip advisor: currently 19th in LA.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Have you got a car? There is not actually that much to see in L.A. other than the beaches and Hollywood. We stayed in a hotel about 1 mile from the airport on the road that runs to Venice beach (about 3 miles away). It was boutique style nice pool and bar. Can look up the name if you are interested.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I stayed on Sunset strip when i went - perfect location for me. Right opposite Sandle Ranch - which i can not reccomend enough. Fantastic food/bar with a great atmosphere.

Short drive down to Santa Monica beach where there are plenty of car parks, one on the pier! Venice beach is a short walk away from that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Have you got a car? There is not actually that much to see in L.A. other than the beaches and Hollywood. We stayed in a hotel about 1 mile from the airport on the road that runs to Venice beach (about 3 miles away). It was boutique style nice pool and bar. Can look up the name if you are interested.

This kind of thing may appeal to me actually.

I'm only in LA for 2 nights, and then meeting a few people back at LAX for a trip around California.

I only really want to pop into LA for a Hollywood Hills walk/hike and maybe a few hours in Universal.
Any other LA tour recommendations would be very welcomed!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

I'm only in LA for 2 nights, and then meeting a few people back at LAX for a trip around California.

I only really want to pop into LA for a Hollywood Hills walk/hike and maybe a few hours in Universal.

I took a tour fom Hollywood, took us all around Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood sign and the 'Golden Triangle' - Worth doing was only about £25. You can almost reach out and know on Ben Stiller's front door.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

My recommendation is leave and go somewhere else as soon as possible!

Universal was decent enough and the Hollywood Hills are worth seeing I guess, although Hollywood Boulevard itself is awful. Beverley Hills is horribly over-the-top and tacky and everywhere else is just a DUMP.

I've been to quite a few cities in the US and LA is by FAR the worst.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Shutters on the beach, Santa Monica and the Mondrian on Sunset. Do a night in each, best of both worlds.

The Mondrian is across the street from the Saddle Ranch. Watching the women ride the bull is great entertainment!!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Hi,

LA is a big place but for what you need I would recommend the Palomar Westwood, you can get some really good rates there and is close to Westwood which is a small town which USC is located, Some good live music bars and home to Diddy Reise, the best ice cream sandwich ever. From there you could easily access West Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

I would second the Garland, great hotel in a lodge style with good rates, restaurant isn't bad and its close to Universal so could go there for the day.

If you wanted to stay in West Hollywood Grafton on sunset is normally a good price and is opposite the andaz.

Moving further along the Loews Hollywood is round the corner from the walk of fame and the Chinese theater but does get pricey as a lot of the entertainment market use this hotel for functions.

Crowne Plaza Beverly hills is actually on the outskirts of Beverly hills but has really good value rates and the rooms recently had a refurb, Beverly Hilton is of course a famous property and you can get good value there outside of Jan to March.

Moving down Hilton LAX is a good base for a couple of nights, for an airport property it is pretty nice.

For the beaches, if you wanted to stay in Santa Monica (one of my favorite places) the Best Western Gateway is a great property, rates will be lower then anything else in the area, it comes with free parking, which is unheard of in LA and it is connected to an IHOP! The hotel is about 13 blocks from the main drag but there is a public bus outside and they have a shuttle so a good option, again rooms were renovated earlier in the year.

Loews Santa Monica is a lovely property but both that and shutters are pretty pricey so really depends on you budget. both about 3-4 block walk to Santa Monica Pier.

If you wanted to stay downtown LA then the Millennium Biltmore has some really good summer rates right now.

Hope that helps, send me a PM if you need any more help or anyone else for that matter.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I can't understand why anyone would travel halfway around the world to get on a bus, so they can drive past celebrity's houses? WTF is wrong with people? Do you get a free 'Hello' magazine too?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks everyone, loads and loads of tips here. I'll have a good look at the recommendations tonight.

I can't understand why anyone would travel halfway around the world to get on a bus, so they can drive past celebrity's houses? WTF is wrong with people? Do you get a free 'Hello' magazine too?

1: Who's doing this?
2: Why do you care what other people do with their time and money?

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
The Redbury in Hollywood is Soho House style but much better value, great location opposite Capitol Records building and the Hollywood sign is visible from some rooms.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Thanks everyone, loads and loads of tips here. I'll have a good look at the recommendations tonight.

1: Who's doing this?
2: Why do you care what other people do with their time and money?

1: Nobody specific, but plenty of people do.
2: I wouldn't say I care, as such, I just think it's a little strange.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
1: Nobody specific, but plenty of people do.
2: I wouldn't say I care, as such, I just think it's a little strange.

So nobody specifically in this thread is planning on doing this, and regardless, you don't care, yet you post a negative comment in here slating anyone who chooses to do these activities.

Good work.

wrench_tool.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here