Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SHOWTIME FOR PLUTO: Once In A Lifetime NASA Flyby Set For Tuesday 14th July 2015

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Astounding Science!

http://news.yahoo.com/showtime-pluto-prepare-amazed-nasa-flyby-160119696.html

"New Horizons has traveled 3 billion miles over 9½ years to get to this historic point. The fastest spacecraft ever launched, it carries the most powerful suite of science instruments ever sent on a scouting and reconnaissance mission of a new, unfamiliar world.

Guarantees principal scientist Alan Stern, "We're going to knock your socks off."

The size of a baby grand piano, the spacecraft will come closest to Pluto on Tuesday morning — at 7:49 a.m. EDT. That's when New Horizons is predicted to pass within 7,767 miles of Pluto. Fourteen minutes later, the spacecraft will zoom within 17,931 miles of Charon, Pluto's jumbo moon."

:bowdown:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Doubt they will find any aliens there.

Seriously, this should be exciting viewing, and there could be some interesting data from the instruments. The voyager probes were a spectacular success in the 70/80s.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How long do the images take to send back to Earth?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I've have been waiting for this moment since 1979, when at middle school I decided that, of all the planets (as it was then), Pluto was the one that I wanted to explore the most. I may not be there in person, but have been keeping tabs on New Horizons over the years since it launched. Amazing engineering, astounding science. The accuracy required to skim just 12k km over the surface, from a distance of several billion km is simply breathtaking, plus the bonus of onward travel beyond Pluto to another Kuiper Belt object and finally on into interstellar space. Very exciting.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Genuinely excited.......

........ But can we be sure that it isn't just fake footage shot in a hanger somewhere in the Arizona desert? ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the BBC website:

Key Points

- Nasa spacecraft New Horizons approaching Pluto at 14 km/s
- Latest results show Pluto is shedding its atmosphere faster than expected; it is also slightly bigger than previously calculated
- "Closest approach" scheduled for 12:50 BST on Tuesday
- First "phone home" communication after flyby is expected by 02:00 BST on Wednesday
- No confirmed sighting yet of Ulloa penalty

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How long do the images take to send back to Earth?

How does it get them back would be my question after that. After all, it's BILLIONS of miles away - how do you get a radio signal to stretch that far and what stops it sending the signal in the wrong direction. Hell, I can't even get a mobile phone signal in parts of Brighton.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
How does it get them back would be my question after that. After all, it's BILLIONS of miles away - how do you get a radio signal to stretch that far and what stops it sending the signal in the wrong direction. Hell, I can't even get a mobile phone signal in parts of Brighton.

Here's a great site which explains the technology on the probe.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/Spacecraft/Systems-and-Components.php

Guidance and Control
New Horizons must be oriented precisely to collect data with its scientific instruments, communicate with Earth, or maneuver through space.

Attitude determination – knowing which direction New Horizons is facing – is performed using star-tracking cameras, Inertial Measurement Units (containing sophisticated gyroscopes and accelerometers that measure rotation and horizontal/vertical motion), and digital Sun sensors. Attitude control for the spacecraft – whether in a steady, three-axis pointing mode or in a spin-stabilized mode – is accomplished using thrusters.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I love the fact that these probes can never be cutting edge which means a certain demographic of the populace will look at the less than HD quality imagery and shrug "is that it" but to anyone with a vague interest in what's out there will literally be creaming themselves repeatedly as each new image comes back!

Well done Space Boffins.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I love the fact that these probes can never be cutting edge which means a certain demographic of the populace will look at the less than HD quality imagery and shrug "is that it" but to anyone with a vague interest in what's out there will literally be creaming themselves repeatedly as each new image comes back!

Well done Space Boffins.

Space Boffins - fastest recovery times known to man.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
From the BBC website:

Key Points

- Nasa spacecraft New Horizons approaching Pluto at 14 km/s
- Latest results show Pluto is shedding its atmosphere faster than expected; it is also slightly bigger than previously calculated
- "Closest approach" scheduled for 12:50 BST on Tuesday
- First "phone home" communication after flyby is expected by 02:00 BST on Wednesday
- No confirmed sighting yet of Ulloa penalty

:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here