Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin broadband

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone else have problems with the new super hub thing?

Countless times I have woken up without wifi connection, which only comes back when I reboot the router.

I have phoned Virgin many times and they have replaced the unit twice, told me to change the port settings.

This morning there was another classic. I told them I had to reboot...the lady said yes I can see that...so I asked her to look at the logs on the system to see why it went down in the first place...she said as I had rebooted it, all the logs were wiped! So I can only get them to look at it when it is down!

They really are a shower and I am thinking about binning Virgin and going to sky broadband.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've got the Virgin Super Hub, it occasionally drops out but on the whole it provides a consistent bandwidth. Have you tried switching channels to see if that helps?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
The super hub is a shower of shite. I bought a decent standalone router and switched the super hub to 'modem mode'. Haven't had any issues since.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When mine was first put in it kept dropping. Three hubs later and they discovered it was the system I have for sending pictures from the sitting room TV to the bedroom which is wireless that was interfering. Changed the channel on the devices I had put in and everything has worked perfectly since.

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
After I was given a free upgrade the two laptops wouldn't connect ( we had no trouble with the old hub ! )
I thought the hub found the best channel for your system...however after I changed it manually I have had no connection problems.
Although on occasions it takes a while to start up the front page.
Also at night when everything is off the lights on the hub sometimes keep on flickering....

haggis

Aug 1, 2014
I must say that with the new hub have no problems. The old one I always needed to reboot. Try changing channels

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been with EE and were Freeserve before Orange bought them, switch to EE now as very good

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No problems with our VM hub. HardwiredI can using Powerline adapters so that Xbox, Tivo box, computers are all generally hardwired to the hub. Leaves the wireless just for smart devices.

Regularly streaming live sports, live TV and a live movie into our house at the same time to 3 different devices. Not getting that with any other providers in my street, and that is just the basic VM package.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not had any real problems with SuperHub 2... now the phone line was a different matter, and was intermittently dropping out - but that seems to have gone now I got an engineer to pay a visit and he tightened up the connections in the street boxes leading to my house.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Now...I had that trouble and was told after 2 hubs, that the issue was caused as too many people in my location having opted for the higher rates and the local green box couldn't cope

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I also had problems with the hub dropping wifi and internet connection intermittently. Turns out it was due to it overheating when I had it tucked down the back of a book case but I found this out myself after Virgin didn't get anywhere with their fault finding.

Once I moved the hub and also got a decent router to handle all the wifi its pretty solid now.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I use an Apple Wifi router bridged into the VM box, both work a treat together.
I occasionally change the SSID of the Virgin box to something like 'GCHQ Outpost' or 'Kremlin Covert Ops' just to keep the neighbour's paranoia levels up.

Jul 7, 2003
No problems with mine and we use both the 2.4 and 5ghz connections. Also have a BT Wireless Extended added to the both improve signal for the boy and also to enable me to connect from the garden if working from home!

Would suggest trying the VM forums as you often get better answers on there - quite a few of their engineers seem to answer queries on there and that is easier than going through the dreadful Indian call centre.

I lost C4HD a while ago so rang the call centre and had what could only be described as poor comedy sketch exchange with the operator:
"I am having problems with Channel 4HD";
Which channel is it?"
"142";
" I thought you said it was Channel 4?";
"It is"
So do you also have a problem with Channel 142"
"no, Channel 142 is the channel number for Channel 4 HD"
"so you are having problems with Channel 4"
"Yes"
"and not Channel 142"

..and so this went on for a couple of minutes until they finally understood the difference between the channel number and channel name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here