Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Marshall

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It would be nice for us to sign a proven young Championship player for the first time in years but there's no way we'd be able to match his current wages at Blackburn.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's funny (not funny ha ha) but Conway wasn't universally popular during his loan spell, and I shared the doubts. However, compared to what followed he was a Messi / Ronaldo hybrid. I'd take him back like a shot.

Another who had 2-3 good games towards the end of his loan, he was poor otherwise.

I agree though what followed was worse!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It's funny (not funny ha ha) but Conway wasn't universally popular during his loan spell, and I shared the doubts. However, compared to what followed he was a Messi / Ronaldo hybrid. I'd take him back like a shot.

He allways had the quality he just took a few games to get his fitness going, wasn't he coming back from injury when we signed him?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He allways had the quality he just took a few games to get his fitness going, wasn't he coming back from injury when we signed him?

I think he was short of match fitness due to not playing regularly at Cardiff. I thought he was a good player though - he did more in his short spell than Buckley did for us that entire season. He's looked decent for Blackburn when they've played against us or when I've seen them on telly as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You seem to be putting a lot of faith in the ball not being launched out of the ground or straight into the 'keepers arms.

That'll certainly make a pleasant change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I have a lot more faith now a certain goalkeeper is playing at Birmingham.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I can't believe some people actually rate Conway. I presume it's just because they've seen him score the odd goal since on TV since he left and therefore presume he must be brilliant, because he was totally ineffective for us. What is the point of a winger who isn't either very fast or very skilful?

Ben Marshall sounds much better to me. I would be very impressed with him.

Conway was poor - as you said no pace and rarely beat a man

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea how Marshall compares to the Iranian guy we are allegedly chasing but my gut feeling is that I'd rather we went for a player proven in this league rather than one who may turn out to be a wuss in this division. Lots of skilful players don't have the courage to shine in this division, it's very tough with plenty of good but very hard defenders.
I do agree esp as this fella would appear to be on the up, unlike just about every other UK based player mentioned here.

But it's hard not to, esp after the last turgid season, feel the need for some pizzazz, excitement, and energy that we'll get if a gamble on 1 or 2 unknown 'stars', took off.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It would be nice for us to sign a proven young Championship player for the first time in years.

Years ? Presumably not counting O Grady, or Stockdale were both relatively young signings
And certainly proven even if they had mixed seasons for us..if not then
Dale Stephens was 24 when he signed last year.
And we've just signed Bong who was Wigans best player in their last six months in champ.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Years ? Presumably not counting O Grady, or Stockdale were both relatively young signings
And certainly proven even if they had mixed seasons for us..if not then
Dale Stephens was 24 when he signed last year.
And we've just signed Bong who was Wigans best player in their last six months in champ.

It's all about opinions about whether they are proven or not but Stockdale and O'Grady were both late 20's when we signed them. O'Grady had one good season with Barnsley so I wouldn't say he was proven at this level and Stockdale has struggled to hold down a number one spot throughout his career.

From what I've read from Wigan journalists and fans, Bong was ok but certainly not their best player last season. He was also not offered a new deal by them which says a lot.

Stephens had only been playing in the Championship for a year or so when we signed him but yes, he is probably the last signing we made that met the criteria of proven young Championship player.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I can't believe some people actually rate Conway. I presume it's just because they've seen him score the odd goal since on TV since he left and therefore presume he must be brilliant, because he was totally ineffective for us. What is the point of a winger who isn't either very fast or very skilful?

I remember you having this view. I remember thinking it was wrong at the time. And it looks even more ridiculous now.
He was regaining fitness with us and was getting better each game when his loan period expired.
As for the bit in bold::
david-beckham-rc_1545264c.jpg

#Caseclosed

Stumpy Tim

I remember you having this view. I remember thinking it was wrong at the time. And it looks even more ridiculous now.
He was regaining fitness with us and was getting better each game when his loan period expired.
As for the bit in bold::
View attachment 66954

#Caseclosed
Yep. I remember McLaren dropping Beckham because he wanted quick wingers. He soon came crawling back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here