Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An England Squad of Over-rated players

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The quality in the national side has dropped so much in the last 10 years that these 11 make the national squad regularly in the last 12 months.

GK Green
RB Kelly
CB Cahill
CB Jagielka
LB Shaw
RM Henderson
CM Delph
CM Cleverly
LM Sterling
ST Wellbeck
ST Vardy

A distinctly average group of players who are very over- rated in my opinion

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I have another phrase to describe them (and the rest of the England team for that matter): 'complete horse-sh*t'

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The quality in the national side has dropped so much in the last 10 years that these 11 make the national squad regularly in the last 12 months.

GK Green
RB Kelly
CB Cahill
CB Jagielka
LB Shaw
RM Henderson
CM Delph
CM Cleverly
LM Sterling
ST Wellbeck
ST Vardy

I understand the point you're making but I think using the phrase 'make the national squad regularly' is a touch mis-leading.

Vardy has been called up once (I believe) and Martin Kelly has made one 3 minute appearance, which was in 2012. I don't know about Green, Shaw or Cleverly either but I don't remember them being around the squad too often recently (more than willing to be proven wrong though).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Gk - ian walker
Rb - david bardsley
Lb- phil neville
Cb- john terry
Cb- chris smalling
Mf- geoff thomas
Mf- frank lampard
Mf- steven gerrard
St- gabrial agbonlahor
St- wayne rooney
St- shaun wright-phillips

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

GK Green
RB Kelly
CB Cahill
CB Jagielka
LB Shaw
RM Henderson
CM Delph
CM Cleverly
LM Sterling
ST Wellbeck
ST Vardy

They don't all make the squad regularly and those that have, were mostly involved during pretty straightforward games. We also haven't lost a football match in 12 months so there is that as well.

Cahill is part of the best centre back pairing in England and Sterling is one of the highest rated players in England .

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Cahill isn't overrated imo.

Henderson is a harsh one as well, I've not seen a massive amount of hype around him, quite the opposite actually.

The only person who overrates Raheem Sterling is Raheem Sterling.

Vardy worked his balls off last season and got a 'surprise' England inclusion. Not overrated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Golden Generation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We also haven't lost a football match in 12 months so there is that as well.

Cahill is part of the best centre back pairing in England and Sterling is one of the highest rated players in England .

Can I nominate you as one of the overraters?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Welbeck may not have done much in an Arsenal shirt recently, but you can't quibble about his England record. 14 goals in 33 appearances at international level isn't bad, especially for a player who doesn't always fill the striker position for the team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not just about the players, it's England's failure to get any sort of cohesive team dynamic or ethic going. "We're bored rattling around a hotel" is simply player speak for "we can't be arsed to focus".

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Can I nominate you as one of the overraters?

As you wish.

England are a relatively limited side, far from being the worst in the world, far from being the best, but I don't see that as a reason to denigrate them at every turn and stop supporting them. If we all stopped supporting limited sides Brighton wouldn't currently have any fans.

The OP is also grossly unfair, half the players have not turned out regularly for England and half of them were given a chance in a game against poor quality opponents due to the shifts they put in for their league Clubs. Or do we not offer opportunities up to players doing well for their Clubs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here