Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve McClaren bans Newcastle United players from swearing

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The former England coach, who was appointed at St James' Park on 10 June, had a similar policy at his previous club Derby County.

His assistant Paul Simpson - who worked alongside McClaren at Derby - explained earlier this year that the policy was about maintaining discipline.

"If you're ranting and raving and swearing, you haven't got control," Simpson said in February.

"We say you are losing it so you may as well come and sit in the dugout."

He also told BBC Radio Derby at the time: "We try not to swear if we possibly can, and we certainly don't use foul and abusive language in the technical area when we are talking to officials - which seems to be the common trend."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33476459

A step in the right direction - hopefully the league will see some sense and enforce it across every league - but I somewhat doubt it, as it will be hard to actually enforce

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm sure it won't be long before someone complains that it's taking PASSION out of the game or some other rubbish.

Not a bad idea either way.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
B20iu-CCMAIoVja.png

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
More than occasional swearing is the verbal equivalent of dropping litter; only the ignorant or stupid do it.

Ridiculous argument. Stephen Fry sums it up here:

I don't see the point in what McLaren is doing. If people would prefer to swear to release their stress/frustration, then forcing them to hold in their pent up emotions isn't gonna help. If anyone is genuinely offended by swearing then they are quite simply, an over sensitive ****.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I don't see the point in what McLaren is doing. If people would prefer to swear to release their stress/frustration, then forcing them to hold in their pent up emotions isn't gonna help. If anyone is genuinely offended by swearing then they are quite simply, an over sensitive ****.

Missed Linc Imps point completely! More than occasional, MORE THAN...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Footballers have a responsibility to remain professional - swearing isn't professional

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Missed Linc Imps point completely! More than occasional, MORE THAN...

Depends what you mean by occasional. I personally don't see a problem with almost constant swearing, as long as it makes sense and is used correctly within a sentence. As Fry says, it's not always or even ever necessary, but it is in no way an indication of a lack of intellect, and it can help add power and emotion to almost any sentence.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

I have seen that video endlessly wheeled out when the topic of swearing comes up and whilst I agree with Fry to the extent that some are over-sensitive about swearing, would you go dropping the c-bomb in every sentence regardless of who you're speaking to or the situation? I do disagree with McClaren by the way.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I have seen that video endlessly wheeled out when the topic of swearing comes up and whilst I agree with Fry to the extent that some are over-sensitive about swearing, would you go dropping the c-bomb in every sentence regardless of who you're speaking to or the situation? I do disagree with McClaren by the way.

Obviously you have to be mindful of who you are talking to, and there are times when swearing is not appropriate. But during a competitive football game? Just ridiculous in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously you have to be mindful of who you are talking to, and there are times when swearing is not appropriate. But during a competitive football game? Just ridiculous in my opinion.
You couldn't have been sat in the family stand when Leon Best screamed a long and disgusting verbal tirade at the linesman.

Completely uncalled for, and so loud he was clearly audible from halfway up the bottom tier.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Depends what you mean by occasional. I personally don't see a problem with almost constant swearing, as long as it makes sense and is used correctly within a sentence. As Fry says, it's not always or even ever necessary, but it is in no way an indication of a lack of intellect, and it can help add power and emotion to almost any sentence.

But it's not acceptable otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. If you need to swear that frequently to express yourself I'd say you've got issues including a poor education.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
Swearing regularly, that some people seem to do in nearly every sentence, surely negates the very impact of using such words. Also I believe that the English language has such an enormous amount of words that using the few swear words regularly shows a poor understanding of our language,

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Good work Schteve. Though I'd imagine international players and any Geordie lads in the squad might be able to get away with it via being unintelligible ...

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I have a retail business in a converted barn and our landlord used to farm the land. On more than one occasion I have had to apologise to customers when he has popped his head in to apologise the fibre broadband he had installed was f%*ked because that F@cking router they put in was playing up again.

I guess it's all to do with the environment you have been brought up in

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

To my mind your argument contradicts itself , the more you use it the more you lose the power and emotion from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here