Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple Music

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone else signed up for the free three month trial of this?

Initially I thought it was very good, especially the curated playlists, and was looking forwards to expanding my musical horizons a bit.

I then went to listen to something from my own music collection and all 19,500 songs appear to have been deleted.

I've been on some of the Apple forums and others have suffered the same fate.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Seems ok on mine.

Love the idea you can download albums etc for offline listening. Although they go into iTunes, you can't download them on to your iPod though.

The only issue I have is O2 data coverage which is crap and so I struggle to get signal to listen online.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Haven't signed up yet as I'm waiting to see what the problems are before going for it and cancelling Spotify.

I'm assuming that it is exactly that....... a Spotify lookylikey?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Haven't signed up yet as I'm waiting to see what the problems are before going for it and cancelling Spotify.

I'm assuming that it is exactly that....... a Spotify lookylikey?

No this is Apple, so it's a BRAND NEW idea which no other company has thought of :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have but I'll knock it on the head after the 3 months, solely because I can't download onto my ipod, That is where I keep my music and I won't be bullied into putting on the cloud or onto my ipad or iphone.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've signed up but not really had a chance to use it that much yet. Am I correct that if you download anything for offline listening it will be available on an iPhone/iPad but you are not able to sync to an iPod? Will it also be in iTunes on my Mac?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No this is Apple, so it's a BRAND NEW idea which no other company has thought of :thumbsup:

Well how very dare I suggest that they might try to piggyback a market leader!!!
Goes without saying that you are right of course:lolol:

Out of interest how much will AppleMusic cost compared to £9.99pm for the upstart Spotify?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
90% + of my music is in flac format, makes a difference when using decent headphones/sound system

"As with all digital media, these two music services use file compression to maximize bandwidth -- so you can stream and download music even over speed-challenged online connections, ideally without gaps or interruptions.

The two services use different encoding formats and a different bit rate. Apple Music is streamed at 256Kbps in AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) format, while Spotify offers the Ogg Vorbis format at 320Kbps. Right off the bat, the higher number might make Spotify look better, but in reality the two compression formats aren't directly comparable by bit rate alone.

Suffice it to say, both formats have their own fans, and both are preferred by most enthusiasts over MP3. So, from a technical perspective, both Apple Music and Spotify are starting from a strong -- albeit not identical -- baseline
."

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Well how very dare I suggest that they might try to piggyback a market leader!!!
Goes without saying that you are right of course[emoji38]ol:

Out of interest how much will AppleMusic cost compared to £9.99pm for the upstart Spotify?
£9.99 or £14.99 for up to 6 family members.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'll sit this one out for a while. I haven't really got any complaints about Spotify, and I hate the idea of somehow accidentally hearing Zane Lowe "curating" a playlist/playing some songs.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've signed up but not really had a chance to use it that much yet. Am I correct that if you download anything for offline listening it will be available on an iPhone/iPad but you are not able to sync to an iPod? Will it also be in iTunes on my Mac?

Yes on both counts

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All OK here.

Where had the music disappeared from - your iPhone or iTunes on your Mac/PC?

It's gone from my phone and iPad. Not updated my iMac or MacBook yet as working away from home for a few weeks.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm a big Apple fan, but I'll be sticking with Spotify for the time being - I pay for the premium and love it, especially Spotify Running on my phone, a great feature.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You had 19,500 tracks on your phone? Do you use iTunes Match?

I'm not sure! I'm a complete technophobe.

It's a 128 gig phone so takes them fairly easily.

A Rick Astley medley when on a run can't be beaten......

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm a big Apple fan, but I'll be sticking with Spotify for the time being - I pay for the premium and love it, especially Spotify Running on my phone, a great feature.

Ditto. Very happy with what Spotify offer me currently and have been since I've used them (my boss was involved with them during their start up days so I was on the closed beta). See no reason to change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here