Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Tube leaders go to prison?

Stumpy Tim

I take it you'll happily be forced on to nights by your employer for hardly any recompense then ? Idiot !

"The unions rejected a "final" pay offer from LU which included a 2% rise this year and £2,000 for drivers on the weekend night Tube service. The typical salary for a Tube driver is £50,000 a year, the RMT said, but the unions maintain the new plans would be disruptive to their members' lives. They claim some employees are concerned they will have to work more overnight shifts"

£50k for driving a train isn't enough! They're getting an above inflation pay rise & a payment of £2,000. And basically they're concerned they might have to work extra overnight shifts. Absolute joke.

You know what, if I don't like my job I get another one. Why don't they go & get a new job if they don't like this one. Ah that's right, they can't because they don't have any other skills.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Ultimately, they're fighting to save a job that will be obsolete in the not-too-distant future. In that context, I can't blame them for wanting to make a statement and screw some more money out of TFL for their members whilst they still have jobs.

Stumpy Tim

Ultimately, they're fighting to save a job that will be obsolete in the not-too-distant future. In that context, I can't blame them for wanting to make a statement and screw some more money out of TFL for their members whilst they still have jobs.

Well I wonder what this kind of action will do for that fight? Zero sympathy from commuters & management see the money they'll lose today & will accelerate plans. Not the brightest plan in the world

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well I wonder what this kind of action will do for that fight? Zero sympathy from commuters & management see the money they'll lose today & will accelerate plans. Not the brightest plan in the world

Oh, completely.

The tone of my previous post suggested support for the union and the drivers, but if we could automate all tube trains immediately I'd be all for that.

Hopefully by making themselves so difficult to work with, the drivers are hastening the arrival of them becoming obsolete.

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It's terrible when people exercise their legal rights in defence of their working conditions.

nearly agree although... I would say terrible when people take advantage of legal rights to bully employers and hold public to Ransom.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given Boris Johnson is on the TfL board I'd happily see them jailed.

Being serious, totally support them on this. And interestingly they seem to have a lot of support from the public and from across the political spectrum if this board is anything to go by.

Stumpy Tim

Given Boris Johnson is on the TfL board I'd happily see them jailed.

Being serious, totally support them on this. And interestingly they seem to have a lot of support from the public and from across the political spectrum if this board is anything to go by.

When has NSC been a good barometer?! Everyone I speak to think it's a disgrace

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"The unions rejected a "final" pay offer from LU which included a 2% rise this year and £2,000 for drivers on the weekend night Tube service.

Which equates to just over a grand bribe once tax and NI is taken out and a measly £10 a week as a pay rise. I note YOU didn't comment on what YOU would do if your employer suddenly forced you to do a mixture of nights and days.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When has NSC been a good barometer?! Everyone I speak to think it's a disgrace

One of the joys of NSC is that it has a real cross section of (very opinionated) people. Whether this is a good barometer for society as a whole I don't know. But I do believe it put us in contact with a lot of people from very different walks of life we wouldn't possibly normally connect with. So in this sense I feel we probably get a broader feel than our own social and work circles. And if me and Westdene Seagull agree something is good or bad it generally is :lolol:

Stumpy Tim

Which equates to just over a grand bribe once tax and NI is taken out and a measly £10 a week as a pay rise. I note YOU didn't comment on what YOU would do if your employer suddenly forced you to do a mixture of nights and days.

I did answer it. I said that if I didn't like any changes in my job I would resign. I don't have the option of holding the public to ransom. And by the way, I work through the night if I need to and don't when I don't need to.

I haven't had a pay rise since I can remember.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have to say, you do seem rather disgruntled and angry this morning :lolol:

Was your train late or something?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
From what I've read, I don't blame the drivers for going on strike at all. It's all very well pointing at their salaries and suggesting that they should just accept it, but that's not how it works, nor should it be.

I'm personally paid just over the national average and if my job was going to be shifted to nightwork with little consideration for staff needs or genuine recompense you can be damn sure I'd do the same, no matter how often I'd be told 'you're lucky to even have a job at the moment'.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did answer it. I said that if I didn't like any changes in my job I would resign. I don't have the option of holding the public to ransom. And by the way, I work through the night if I need to and don't when I don't need to.

I haven't had a pay rise since I can remember.

Good for you. I'm the same but then I have a level of comfort which enables me to do this, possibly like you. Not everyone does though. If the drivers were properly compensated then fine, but the offer is a piss take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here