Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

National Wage.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Of £9 p/h for over 25yo by 2020 in time for the next election,so just where do Labour go in terms of policy ?:wave:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Of £9 p/h for over 25yo by 2020 in time for the next election,so just where do Labour go in terms of policy ?:wave:

Manifesto pledge to increase the living wage to a rate where it is actually a living wage ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
This has been a long time coming.

It has often left me baffled how low skill workers (I will use supermarket staff as a prime example) manage to live on £6-7 an hour when you look at the cost of living today. Mortgage/rent, bills, car, fuel etc....how on earth do these people get by??

The £9 hourly rate on a 40 hour week acquaints to £18,000 PA which is great news for all those affected.

My only criticism would be why limit it to the 25 and over? Won't this inevitably result in age discrimination? Why would an employer opt for a 25 year old on the living wage, when they can recruit someone younger on the minimum wage?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
short memories:

But would they cut tax credits? All well and good to say the Tories are offering a whole extra £1 an hour but cutting in work benefits probably balances it out in truth.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If thats is going to be the minimum wage for any unskilled worker then i need to start charging more to widen the gap.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I seem to recall that Labour's answer to low wages was a National Living Wage. Osborne simply stole the idea.

To be fair, at least he has the chance to implement it, if we waited for labour to win an election it might never happen.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
£9 ph in 2019/20 will only be 50p more ph than what it would be under the current formula.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
From the perspective of take home income, for many low-earning families any increase in wages as a result of this will be more than offset by the reduction in tax credits. That said, if it forces exploitative businesses to pay something slightly closer to a decent wage, there is a positive aspect to it. As things currently stand, the state is effectively subsidising many businesses who won't pay proper wages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here