Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Switching From Glasses To Contact Lenses

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Basically I've worn glasses for about 30 years at this point, but have decided that I now want a change and to give contact lenses a go.

I've spoken to my optician and confirmed that suitable lenses are available for me (I'm seriously astigmatic), and they've said that they'll go through everything with me in terms of how to put them in and taken them out, and generally how to get use to living with them, they've even set me up with a free trial period so I can try them before I make a commitment.

Is there anyone else out there in NSC-land who has made the transition after such a long period, and if so are there any tips or bits of advice you can pass on? I know it's a fairly individual thing in terms of whether you like them/can tolerate them or not, but anything would help. :thumbsup:

PS: I know it's not exactly the most thrilling thread in NSC history but at least it's better than yet another crap transfer rumour, right?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wore them for about 15 years without any trouble after several years of getting annoyed with glasses, however had laser surgery about 8 years ago which was life-changing and wish I'd done it 20 years ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've worn a contact lens in one eye for years. I usually get on absolutely fine (mine is monthly replacement, many people have the daily ones).

The only times I have an issue is if I'm tired, or when it's peak hay fever season, as it is now. That restricts the length of time I can wear it. But 99% of the time I'm not even aware it's there.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I wore glasses till I was 16, contact lenses till I was 42 and then had laser surgery. No glasses or contact lenses for 14 years now, although I do wear reading glasses when on the laptop sometimes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've worn a contact lens in one eye for years. I usually get on absolutely fine (mine is monthly replacement, many people have the daily ones).

The only times I have an issue is if I'm tired, or when it's peak hay fever season, as it is now. That restricts the length of time I can wear it. But 99% of the time I'm not even aware it's there.

When I wore lenses I found they helped with hay fever.....and were also great to stop me crying when peeling onions [emoji3]

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Basically I've worn glasses for about 30 years at this point, but have decided that I now want a change and to give contact lenses a go.

I've spoken to my optician and confirmed that suitable lenses are available for me (I'm seriously astigmatic), and they've said that they'll go through everything with me in terms of how to put them in and taken them out, and generally how to get use to living with them, they've even set me up with a free trial period so I can try them before I make a commitment.

Is there anyone else out there in NSC-land who has made the transition after such a long period, and if so are there any tips or bits of advice you can pass on? I know it's a fairly individual thing in terms of whether you like them/can tolerate them or not, but anything would help. :thumbsup:

PS: I know it's not exactly the most thrilling thread in NSC history but at least it's better than yet another crap transfer rumour, right?

Had them for same period you have been without. One of the best moves of my life. Took like duck to water. Unusually, I have hard, gas permeable which suit me. Renew once a year.
Wish I had the nerve for laser but am sure the whole thing would go wrong.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
When I wore lenses I found they helped with hay fever.....and were also great to stop me crying when peeling onions [emoji3]

It's the opposite for me. I have to dose up on prescription antihistamines as my hay fever is so bad. They're designed to stop your eyes watering, which I then find makes my eyes too dry to wear the lens. So I have to wear my glasses instead. The difference in vision between these and my contact lens, combined with that horrible tired eyes feeling you get when you're constantly rubbing itchy eyes makes me walk around in a daze at the moment. God, I love summer :rolleyes:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to try the laser surgery, but I'm a bit scared of the side effects.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
My wife recently switched to contact lens. Took a bit of getting used to in the beginning, process of putting them in, but now does so without second thought. Says it's much better than faffing around with glasses.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Don't fall asleep pissed or stay out all night clubbing with them in.

I wear mine for 7 days and nights and then take them out and clean them overnight, repeat for 4 weeks on one set, they are brilliant and been on holiday, drinking, golf and go a week with just 2 or applications of eye drops during the day.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I switched to contact lenses after about 3 or 4 years with glasses. I started with a monthly set, but after a couple of years discovered they weren't right for my eyes. My oil ducts were failing to work, and I had to rest hot flannels on my eyes every so often. At a later check up, I discovered my eyes weren't getting enough oxygen and because of this, I was getting blood vessels growing where they shouldn't (as a result I still see floating objects if I move my head to frequently or suddenly). I switched to two weekly and then daily contacts, but eventually gave up. They were becoming more uncomfortable after shorter time in to the point I would put them in just before leaving for work and take them out as soon as I got home and continued with glasses for the rest of the evening.

Now I wear them once in a blue moon for activities where I really don't want to risk my glasses getting damaged.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I wear mine for 7 days and nights and then take them out and clean them overnight, repeat for 4 weeks on one set, they are brilliant and been on holiday, drinking, golf and go a week with just 2 or applications of eye drops during the day.

Maybe the technology has moved on or maybe your minces are different to mine :shrug:
I ended up at Moorfields Eye Hospital (caught the bus there from Holloway Road), they said I had scratched corneas or something.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I had laser eye surgery 6 months ago, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Happy to answer any questions if you want to drop me a PM.

How much does that cost these days? I'd only need one eye doing. How long did the after effects last, out of interest?

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Moved to contacts many years back, chose gas permeable hard lenses, more economic and safer. Has worked out well except when a bolder (small foriegn object) gets between lense and eye. Had a friend who worked at the eye hospital in Brighton as well as my GP they advised against soft and long wearing lenses . Would consider laser but worried about risks.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
How much does that cost these days? I'd only need one eye doing. How long did the after effects last, out of interest?

I paid £3k for both eyes, and that was the more expensive and 'thorough' option.

In terms of recovery time, it felt like someone had thrown sand in my eyes for about 4 hours afterwards (on a friend's recommendation, I got the latest appointment in the day so I could go home and sleep afterwards). I was driving the next day as soon as I'd have my 24 hour post-op checkup. I can honestly say other than that 4 hour period, there was minimal discomfort. They give you quite a lot of drops to put in a few times a day for about a week, and they give you some goggles to sleep in to prevent you rubbing your eyes whilst they are healing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think i'd have too much face to have to look at if i didn't have glasses obstructing some of the view. If i swapped, i'd have to grow a huge Hulk Hogan of a tache or plant some bee eggs in my nostrils.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here