Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road deaths increased by 3% compared to the year ending June 2013, to 1,760.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those enjoying vilifying people for going about their day

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...70826/quarterly-estimates-apr-to-jun-2014.pdf

There were 24,580 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties in the year ending June 2014, a 4 per cent increase compared with the previous year.

So far, and this is as of April, five people have died on the London roads, four of whom have been female - and all in collisions with HGVs. I believe this figure is now 10, with 8 being female Here are the details:

1 Stephanie Turner, Stamford Hill, January 20 The first person to die in 2015 was the 29-year-old physiotherapist, who was involved in a collision with a lorry on Amhurst Road, at the junction with Bethune Road. The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has since been released on bail. More than 200 cycle safety campaigners staged a ‘die-in’ protest a week after her death.

2 Akis Kolloras, Homerton High Street, February 2 Greek-born 34-year-old Akis Kollaros was killed after a collision with an HGV on Homerton High Street, at the junction with McIntosh Lane. Campaigners raised £6,000 to repatriate the music producer, who lived in Dalston, back to his home country.

3 Frederica Baldassa, Holborn, February 6 The second cyclist to die in a week in February was 26-year-old Italian fashion designer Frederica Baldassa, who was hit by a lorry around 9.20pm on a Friday night between Bloomsbury Square and Vernon Place. The driver stopped at the scene but was not arrested.

4 Claire Hitier-Abadie, Victoria, February 19 The fourth person to be killed was 36-year-old Claire Hitier-Abadie from Marylebone, who was crushed under a tipper truck on Victoria Street during rush-hour. The French-born mother-of-two was riding a Barclays Cycle Hire vehicle, making her the second person to die using a Boris Bike in London.

5 An unnamed woman, Lambeth Bridge, April 9 The as-yet-unnamed woman died in a collision with a lorry this morning.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/news/cycling/london_cycle_deaths_2015_1_3964719
Copyright © LONDON24

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given that our population has risen at the same rate and there are far more cyclists on our roads 'post-Wiggins' it's surprising the increase isn't higher.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Lorry Drivers - Week long intensive training and examination.

Cyclists - Nothing Nada Zilch

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given that our population has risen at the same rate and there are far more cyclists on our roads 'post-Wiggins' it's surprising the increase isn't higher.

I wonder what the increase in vehicles on the road is since 2012?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Less speed cameras a contributory factor to overall rise in road deaths.

Still, we all get where we want to 30 seconds quicker.

PG

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Significant reduction in road policing officers due to budget restraints. Fewer police on the road.

Some of you might think that's a good thing of course, as it lessens your chances of getting caught doing something wrong.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The chart shows that only one of the last nine years had fewer fatalities.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
UK CYCLING FATALITIES 2015

NB: fatalities marked with a dagger (†) involved no motor vehicles; those marked with a double dagger (‡) involved no other vehicles or involved a stationary vehicle.

Jamie Murray, 1 January, St Leonards, East Sussex.
James Stephenson, 1 January, Bramshott, Hampshire.
Karen Clayton, 4 January, Altrincham, Cheshire.
Thomas Goodwin, 5 January, Colwall, Worcestershire.
Andrew Wolfindale, 6 January, Tollbar Island, Coventry.
Paul Miller, 8 January, Dorchester, Dorset.
Unnamed man, 12 January, Golden Valley, Gloucestershire.
Artur Ruszel, 13 January, Manchester.
Robert Betteley, 13 January, Nantwich, Cheshire.
‡Michele Cooper, 14 January, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire (not confirmed as collision).
Darren Schofield, 14 January, Tingley, West Yorkshire.
Les Turnbull, 15 January, Washington, Tyne and Wear.
James Gore, 18 January, Chilton Polden, Somerset.
Stephanie Turner, 20 January, London.
Akis Kollaros, 2 February, London.
Clive Wright, 5 February, Downholland, Lancashire.
Federica Baldassa, 6 February, London.
Craig Armitage, 15 February, Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire.
Claire Hitier-Abadie, 19 February, London.
David Christie, 26 February, Freuchie, Fife.
†Martin Leonard, 3 March, Catsfield, East Sussex.
Alexander Clark, 6 March, Bolton-le-Sands, Lancashire.
Tony Ashcroft, 14 March, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.
Michael Beard, 25 March, Lincoln.
Adam Jones, 26 March, Manchester.
Moira Gemmill, 9 April, London.
Timothy Smith, 13 April, Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Unnamed man, 14 April, Liverpool.
David Hearne, 21 April, Staffordshire.
Sally Shalloe, 21 April, Nottingham.
Nina Deasley, 23 April, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
Robin Wilson, 24 April, Boston, Lincolnshire.
‡Unnamed woman, 24 April, Cullompton, Devon (collision with road sign).
‡Robert Hinton, 27 April, Latton, Wiltshire (collision with stationary vehicle).
Paul Maguire, 5 May, Tamworth, West Midlands.
Mark Robinson, 14 May, Wigan.
Dennis Dovey, 15 May, Ollerton, Nottinghamshire.
Kian Gill, 15 May, Gilmorton, Leicestershire.
Unnamed man, 18 May, Daventry, Northamptonshire.
David Thomson, 22 May, Glasgow.
Yvonne Wyeth, 28 May, Walton, Surrey.
April Reeves, 28 May, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.
Esther Hartsilver, 28 May, Camberwell, London.
Mairead Boucherat, 30 May, Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire.
John Robinson, 7 June, Hardstoft, Derbyshire.
Stanislaw Kasprzak, 10 June, West Bromwich.
Dan Climance, 10 June, Purton, Wiltshire.
Alan Cronin, 11 June, Rossett, Wrexham.
‡Paul Dye, 16 June, Beeston St Andrew, Norfolk (collision with stationary vehicle).
†Scott Catley, 20 June, Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Clifton James, 21 June, Harrow, London.
Ying Tao, 22 June, Bank, London.
Richard Pencott, 24 June, Harworth, Nottinghamshire.
Unnamed man, 27 June, Honiley, West Midlands.
Robert Dearing, 3 July, Marston, Nottinghamshire.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You insensitive f8cking tw*t!

Best to ignore him. That's WD's modus operandi on here. Bang on about cyclists to get a bit of attention. Don't worry about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best to ignore him. That's WD's modus operandi on here. Bang on about cyclists to get a bit of attention. Don't worry about it.

I'm sure mother of 2 Claire Hitier-Abadie's family were comforted by the thought that although she'll never return to her family it was probably her own fault.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure mother of 2 Claire Hitier-Abadie's family were comforted by the thought that although she'll never return to her family it was probably her own fault.

I'm talking about Wrong Direction.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Less speed cameras a contributory factor to overall rise in road deaths.

Still, we all get where we want to 30 seconds quicker.

PG

It's not necessarily speed that's the problem. there seems to be a lot of driving where people are not concentrating fully on the road.

Everyday i see dozens of drivers on their mobile phones, and more and more of them are now texting whilst driving rather than speaking on it.

It's surprising how many people you see get into their vehicle, drive a few hundred yards and then start to eat or drink or use their phone whilst still driving. Why? if they were parked up, why didn't they do that then rather than wait until they start to drive?

There is a lot of tail-gating and it seems to be becoming more common. I see it on dual carriageways where the outside lane is empty, yet the second car still has to drive far too close to the car in front and would be unable to stop if the 1st vehicle had to brake hard for any unexpected reason. Also on roads where overtaking is impossible like very winding sections with double lines in the middle of the road

I've also seen a few people drive straight through red lights (normally on pedestrian crossing lights rather than road junction ones) and a couple of times this has been where they overtake someone in front of them who has stopped at the lights and whilst there was someone walking across the crossing and yet they feel they don't need to stop themselves.

How many people have been prosecuted for these driving behaviours which contribute far more to the number of accidents and deaths compared to prosecutions / fines for just speeding. There hasn't been a way to catch these people by camera and i doubt many have been done by the Police, even before any cuts.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Let Wrong Direction scrape a the remains of a few casualties off the road or hold together the ruptured bodies of those injured and maimed and he might change his tune.

The unwanted increase in casualty figures is a reflection of what I perceive to be a steady decrease in driving standards and increasing traffic levels. No doubt this is partly a reflection of the steady erosion of roads policing teams, and consequently their ability to provide a visible deterrent and where necessary, enforcement. Plus the cutbacks in their partner agencies involved in promoting road safety education.

The casualty figures also place greater demands on the resources of the NHS so having consequences remote from the scene of many RTC and other incidents. WD might bear that in mind next time he has to wait several hours in A&E - or is sitting in a protracted traffic jam because there are fewer resources to conclude incidents.

Sadly the increase in road casualties is also being reflected in other avoidable causes of death eg workplace accidents, fires, drowning etc. and IMHO at risk of undoing a huge amount of positive preventative work over recent years. The reductions in the emergency services, HSE and other public services is a factor.

We could all do with driving just a little bit more patiently and appropriately for the prevailing road conditions.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Let Wrong Direction scrape a the remains of a few casualties off the road or hold together the ruptured bodies of those injured and maimed and he might change his tune.

The unwanted increase in casualty figures is a reflection of what I perceive to be a steady decrease in driving standards and increasing traffic levels. No doubt this is partly a reflection of the steady erosion of roads policing teams, and consequently their ability to provide a visible deterrent and where necessary, enforcement. Plus the cutbacks in their partner agencies involved in promoting road safety education.

The casualty figures also place greater demands on the resources of the NHS so having consequences remote from the scene of many RTC and other incidents. WD might bear that in mind next time he has to wait several hours in A&E - or is sitting in a protracted traffic jam because there are fewer resources to conclude incidents.

Sadly the increase in road casualties is also being reflected in other avoidable causes of death eg workplace accidents, fires, drowning etc. and IMHO at risk of undoing a huge amount of positive preventative work over recent years. The reductions in the emergency services, HSE and other public services is a factor.

We could all do with driving just a little bit more patiently and appropriately for the prevailing road conditions.

Too many things to do in our free time compared to even a decade ago meaning people rush home more to take part in those activities (multiple tv channels, internet, mobile phones, home entertainment systems and computer games, etc) ??

Peoples thoughts have become more about how they use and maximise their leisure time rather than having more of a balance and feeling more able to take their time to do things (fear of missing out now must surely be higher than in previous generations)

Also, maybe we need more public information films on really basic things once again?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The penalties for using a phone, especially for checking email/texts should be significantly increased. At present there is little deterrent, but if you were caught and given an immediate 12 months ban it would have a significant effect surely?

D

Deleted member 22389

It's not necessarily speed that's the problem. there seems to be a lot of driving where people are not concentrating fully on the road.

Everyday i see dozens of drivers on their mobile phones, and more and more of them are now texting whilst driving rather than speaking on it.

It's surprising how many people you see get into their vehicle, drive a few hundred yards and then start to eat or drink or use their phone whilst still driving. Why? if they were parked up, why didn't they do that then rather than wait until they start to drive?

There is a lot of tail-gating and it seems to be becoming more common. I see it on dual carriageways where the outside lane is empty, yet the second car still has to drive far too close to the car in front and would be unable to stop if the 1st vehicle had to brake hard for any unexpected reason. Also on roads where overtaking is impossible like very winding sections with double lines in the middle of the road

I've also seen a few people drive straight through red lights (normally on pedestrian crossing lights rather than road junction ones) and a couple of times this has been where they overtake someone in front of them who has stopped at the lights and whilst there was someone walking across the crossing and yet they feel they don't need to stop themselves.

How many people have been prosecuted for these driving behaviours which contribute far more to the number of accidents and deaths compared to prosecutions / fines for just speeding. There hasn't been a way to catch these people by camera and i doubt many have been done by the Police, even before any cuts.

I do a lot of walking and cycling and I second everything you say here. I have seen some really appalling driving just lately. Only last week someone decided to mounted the curb whilst I was walking along the pavement with my daughter. Why did he mount the curb, because he couldn't be bothered to wait for the car in front of him to turn, so drove around the inside. Think it's about time drivers got prosecuted a lot more. Your right about tailgating, driving my wife to work every morning people are driving far too close to each other. It's happened to me. A couple of months back driver behind was swearing, waving his hands because I wasn't going fast enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here