Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jury Service

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Have to do it at Hove in October. Says I need to plan on 2 weeks but wonder if this is a good average or what.

For those that have done it how long were you needed for? Was it interesting or a total bore?

Pity it's not the Old Bailey but I guess I move in the wrong circles :smile:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Never done service myself, although if I was to, I'd prepare by watching Tony Hancock's 'Twelve Angry Men'!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was called for two weeks but let off after the first week because they had too many people.

I enjoyed it - spent four days on a theft from a shed case. The most frustrating thing is the discussion over guilt. You're bound to get some wet lettuce saying 'I think he is guilty but I don't want to vote that way just in case I’m wrong’.
Day five I got sworn in for a rape case but we were dismissed after closed discussions between the lawyers and the judge.

I’d have liked to do the second week.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
had a death by drink driving case a few years back, took about two weeks, a mate of mine had a couple of cases in two weeks so i think thats the average, was quite interesting seeing how it all works, got a bit tedious when the barristers kept bringing up points of law and the jury had to leave the room each and every time!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have to do it at Hove in October. Says I need to plan on 2 weeks but wonder if this is a good average or what.

For those that have done it how long were you needed for? Was it interesting or a total bore?

I got selected for Jury service for two weeks in June this year, right in the middle of my holiday.
Asked for a deferrement, which was pushed back to Feb next year.
Two weeks is the average for a trial to run.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Never done service myself, although if I was to, I'd prepare by watching Tony Hancock's 'Twelve Angry Men'!

Although it's in black and white, I thought it was a pretty good film for the 50s.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Friend of mine did two weeks recently, and spent nearly all her time sitting around waiting to be called. Don't think she ever did get called, because the defendants lost their nerve and decided to plead guilty at the last moment.

Do you have a fully loaded Kindle?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I got selected for Jury service for two weeks in June this year, right in the middle of my holiday.
Asked for a deferrement, which was pushed back to Feb next year.
Two weeks is the average for a trial to run.

Not sure the average trial is two weeks. You are called to do two week stints and mostly likely get more than one case in that time. I did JS two years ago and we had two three day cases, one in Brighton and the other in Lewes. Of course you could go and end up not seeing one case if you don't get pull out your name in the lottery!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
got a bit tedious when the barristers kept bringing up points of law and the jury had to leave the room each and every time!

Friend of mine did two weeks recently, and spent nearly all her time sitting around waiting to be called.

Yes both of those and similar is what I am hoping doesn't happen

Didn't appreciate that once the case was over that you might do another ... had the impression it was 1 and done

As I'm moving to Seaford have asked to be moved to Lewes where I've got a feeling they deal with a better class of crime, but no idea why I think that!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes both of those and similar is what I am hoping doesn't happen

Didn't appreciate that once the case was over that you might do another ... had the impression it was 1 and done

As I'm moving to Seaford have asked to be moved to Lewes where I've got a feeling they deal with a better class of crime, but no idea why I think that!!

Is there such a thing as a better class of crime?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I enjoyed my stint.

A couple of short cases in the first week followed by an attempted murder case that took me into a third week.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did two weeks at Lewes. Apart from a bit of hanging around, found the whole thing fascinating and really enjoyed it, and came away from it with an awful lot of faith in the British system. Was called for two cases, first lasted 8 days and second a day and a half. Apparently if a case is expected to last much longer than two weeks you'll get the opportunity to excuse yourself from the initial list (but will stay at court for the next selection which could be immediate or days away). Days aren't long (think the judges all play golf)

As an exercise in people watching it is something else (fellow jurors, witnesses, defendants, barristers etc).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Good luck, and if at any point you get bored and want to leave, just ask the Judge about Jury Nullification. :D

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not sure the average trial is two weeks. You are called to do two week stints and mostly likely get more than one case in that time. I did JS two years ago and we had two three day cases, one in Brighton and the other in Lewes. Of course you could go and end up not seeing one case if you don't get pull out your name in the lottery!

Correct, I meant average two week stint.
Me, Old Bailey :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Do you have to live in London to get called?

PS Best not start a thread about the actual Trial(s) :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here