Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe of some interest to some

Defender says he’s not in Pochettino’s plans and wants to leave Spurs

by Dan Kilpatrick - July 7, 2015 7:19 pm
[Defender says he’s not in Pochettino’s plans and wants to leave Spurs]

Centre back wants another loan move or a permanent deal this summer.

You may not know a great deal about Grant Hall, the 23-year-old centre half who has been on Spurs’ books since 2012.

Hall arrived from Brighton as a promising youngster in summer 2012 and captained Spurs’ U21s to the League Final in his debut season. Since then, bad luck and bad loan moves have hindered his progress and he spent the first half of last season on loan at Birmingham, before following Lee Clark, the manager who took him to St. Andrews’, to Blackpool. He couldn’t halt the Tangerines well-documented slide to League One and now Hall is back at Spurs and training with the development squad.

With Milos Veljkovic and Cameron Carter-Vickers impressing in the U20 World Cup this summer, there’s no guarantee Hall could even command a place in the U21 team this season, and he says he wants to leave Spurs.

“I’m fully fit, back in training and hungry to play,” Hall told the official site.

“I need to get settled at a club and settled off the pitch as well.

“I wasn’t here when the gaffer came in and I haven’t been around the club so it’s understandable that I’m not really in his plans. I just want to play, so I’m looking for a loan or permanent move.

“Playing games is key for me. I’ve another year here at Spurs but I don’t want to be sitting around. I’m 23 and I need to be playing and taking my career to the next level.

“The loan to Blackpool came up straight away in January and I didn’t want to wait, it was the chance to play football with the same manager who took me to Birmingham, so I thought ‘why not?’ as it was regular games in the Championship. It was good in that aspect but a tough place to be at the time.

“I say to the younger lads at Spurs, you get everything here and when you go out on loan it’s a reality check. There is nothing like this facility (Hotspur Way) when you go out on loan but it makes you stronger as a player and person to experience that. It’s incredible here and everything is done properly.

“Looking back now, it was all valuable experience last season and I’m determined to use that to good effect going forward.”

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Maybe of some interest to some

Defender says he’s not in Pochettino’s plans and wants to leave Spurs

by Dan Kilpatrick - July 7, 2015 7:19 pm
[Defender says he’s not in Pochettino’s plans and wants to leave Spurs]

Centre back wants another loan move or a permanent deal this summer.

You may not know a great deal about Grant Hall, the 23-year-old centre half who has been on Spurs’ books since 2012.

Hall arrived from Brighton as a promising youngster in summer 2012 and captained Spurs’ U21s to the League Final in his debut season. Since then, bad luck and bad loan moves have hindered his progress and he spent the first half of last season on loan at Birmingham, before following Lee Clark, the manager who took him to St. Andrews’, to Blackpool. He couldn’t halt the Tangerines well-documented slide to League One and now Hall is back at Spurs and training with the development squad.

With Milos Veljkovic and Cameron Carter-Vickers impressing in the U20 World Cup this summer, there’s no guarantee Hall could even command a place in the U21 team this season, and he says he wants to leave Spurs.

“I’m fully fit, back in training and hungry to play,” Hall told the official site.

“I need to get settled at a club and settled off the pitch as well.

“I wasn’t here when the gaffer came in and I haven’t been around the club so it’s understandable that I’m not really in his plans. I just want to play, so I’m looking for a loan or permanent move.

“Playing games is key for me. I’ve another year here at Spurs but I don’t want to be sitting around. I’m 23 and I need to be playing and taking my career to the next level.

“The loan to Blackpool came up straight away in January and I didn’t want to wait, it was the chance to play football with the same manager who took me to Birmingham, so I thought ‘why not?’ as it was regular games in the Championship. It was good in that aspect but a tough place to be at the time.

“I say to the younger lads at Spurs, you get everything here and when you go out on loan it’s a reality check. There is nothing like this facility (Hotspur Way) when you go out on loan but it makes you stronger as a player and person to experience that. It’s incredible here and everything is done properly.

“Looking back now, it was all valuable experience last season and I’m determined to use that to good effect going forward.”

probably be first team pick by now if he had stayed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
probably be first team pick by now if he had stayed.

Yep, had his head turned by bright lights and bigger wages..... Just goes to show like many before him, all that glitters is not gold and maybe working your way up is a better proposition for a young player.

Would you have him back ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yep, had his head turned by bright lights and bigger wages..... Just goes to show like many before him, all that glitters is not gold and maybe working your way up is a better proposition for a young player.

Would you have him back ?

Yes I would.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd take him back on a free, but he is a classic example of players chasing the 1st big salary they are offered instead of thinking about their whole career. He has ability and could well have been a 1st team regular now, instead he will have to take a couple of steps back just to get to where he could've been with us. From watching him play he will not suit the lower leagues either and I can see him struggling if his next move is the wrong one...

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I'd take him back on a free, but he is a classic example of players chasing the 1st big salary they are offered instead of thinking about their whole career. He has ability and could well have been a 1st team regular now, instead he will have to take a couple of steps back just to get to where he could've been with us. From watching him play he will not suit the lower leagues either and I can see him struggling if his next move is the wrong one...

This, it was always a strange move career-wise imho, the antithesis of a Christian Walton. He was either blinded by the lights or took bad advice. Good luck at Swindon Town Grant.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am pretty sure I read it was his parents who pushed for the move, I read somewhere.

The correct route (as far as the individual player is concerned) to the bright lights was made by Elphick & Cook. One step back, two steps forward. Grant is destined for League One. Let's hope Dunk doesn't feel the need to jump ship in order to get to the promised land.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Things like this sum up, to a degree, why we struggle to develop young English talent in this country. Lets be honest he moved for the money firstly and the playing opportunities secondly and the same could be said of a lot of youngest rattling round in the academies at these premier league clubs. To develop you need to be playing competitive football, learning your trade and if you do well then the opportunities and money follow. Makes you wonder about the kind of advice the agents/parents give these youngsters, although at that age maybe I would have chosen money as well. Difficult to say for sure but he could be similar to Dunk by now, playing regular football and on the radar of premiership clubs rather than looking at a league one loan move.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Hindsight eh. Would you have turned down a move to Spurs and stayed 4th choice CB at Brighton?

I'd rather be 4th choice at Brighton than 10th choice at Spurs getting shipped out on loan to a new team in a different part of the country every season. He was only 20 at the time as well, it's not as if he was running out of time in his career, and I'm sure he would've got his chance had he signed the 3-year deal he was offered.

If he really wanted to leave, moving to another Championship club or even a League One side where he could settle off the field and command regular first team football would've been far better for his career. Let's face it, no matter how well he did out on loan at Swindon, Birmingham or Blackpool, it was always extremely unlikely that he would get near Spurs' first team.

Now he's turning 24 this year, has no Premier League experience and his only Championship experience is 12 games for the league's whipping boys last season and 7 games at Birmingham the season before that, when his loan was terminated early.

Think League One beckons.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here