Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Dentists / Orthodontists on here - child's tooth knocked out advice

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My little 9 yr old lad knocked his front adult tooth out this morning. After a frantic 10mins, we got the tooth in milk about 15mins after it came out having not touched the root, and got to the dentist within an hour where the dentist as put it back in and splinted it across the other teeth. Gum was pretty badly ripped at the front.

He's on antibiotics now, and we're going back in at 5.30pm to check up on it. The prognosis does not look great long term with regard to the tooth being saved permanently, but perhaps might last till adulthood.

If there are any treatments / suggestions / advice, please PM me or reply below.

I'm one shaking, worried parent right now!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
My little 9 yr old lad knocked his front adult tooth out this morning. After a frantic 10mins, we got the tooth in milk about 15mins after it came out having not touched the root, and got to the dentist within an hour where the dentist as put it back in and splinted it across the other teeth. Gum was pretty badly ripped at the front.

He's on antibiotics now, and we're going back in at 5.30pm to check up on it. The prognosis does not look great long term with regard to the tooth being saved permanently, but perhaps might last till adulthood.

If there are any treatments / suggestions / advice, please PM me or reply below.

I'm one shaking, worried parent right now!
Mate, its a TOOTH thats been knocked out,shame and all that , but christ almighty you're going on like he 's lost a leg , so he might have to have a false one, not a big deal is it :facepalm:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mate, its a TOOTH thats been knocked out,shame and all that , but christ almighty you're going on like he 's lost a leg , so he might have to have a false one, not a big deal is it :facepalm:

:lol::lol:

I get his concern but yeah it is only a tooth

Get fake one if need be

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know I know it's only a tooth, blimey, I said I was shaking a bit that's all, he's bashed himself up pretty bad. Just want to make sure we can do what we can to save it.

Nothing like taking the opportunity to have a dig at someone is there.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if the tooth beds back in then the gum may adhere to it , the chances of the nerve re-growing are not good however , he has age on his side though and i presume he hasn't started drinking , smoking and shagging brasses yet so you'd have to give it a 50/50 chance of bedding in but i wouldn't have thought the nerves will re-grow.......which means the tooth will die and discolour.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I know I know it's only a tooth, blimey, I said I was shaking a bit that's all, he's bashed himself up pretty bad. Just want to make sure we can do what we can to save it.

Apologies . First reply just made me chuckle .

Hope you get sorted

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What was the point in replying?
If it lasts until adulthood, an implant as a replacement would be the best option. I should imagine that implants will not be an option until the jaw is fully developed.
That seems like pretty solid advice, hope he's alright as it must have been a fair whack to staright up knock out a tooth.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It is a major inconvenience. I split one of my front teeth when I was blowing on top of a bottle for that flute effect, and my mate’s dog nose butted the bottom of the bottle causing it to smash into my tooth.

Unfortunately my tooth was split down to the root and couldn’t be saved. If his tooth came out without damaging the root he might be lucky. Even if it only lasts until adulthood it will save him having to use a plate, which he will need to prevent all his other teeth moving over and filling the gap, leaving him with one front tooth in the middle.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is a major inconvenience. I split one of my front teeth when I was blowing on top of a bottle for that flute effect, and my mate’s dog nose butted the bottom of the bottle causing it to smash into my tooth.

Unfortunately my tooth was split down to the root and couldn’t be saved. If his tooth came out without damaging the root he might be lucky. Even if it only lasts until adulthood it will save him having to use a plate, which he will need to prevent all his other teeth moving over and filling the gap, leaving him with one front tooth in the middle.

Wish we'd known a little bit more of what to do. Ideally you push the tooth straight back in and hold it in place until you get to the dentist. If there is too much pain (which there was), then get it straight in some milk, or between your cheek and gum at the side of your mouth. We didn't get it in milk till about 15mins after it came out, and that might effect the roots chance to last till adulthood, dentist had it back in within an hour of it coming out though, so it's just a case of wait and see.

Would be delighted if he can make it through to an age where he can have an implant.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I remember somebody at school who was missing a front tooth, I think it was knocked out when he was boxing, his party trick was to pull out the replacement tooth and whistle through the gap.

But anyway, you did all you could do as quickly as possible and a dentist will be able to give the best advice, only thing I would add is get good advice on what would happen if an implant is needed as that will cost a lot if the NHS won't pay.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What was the point in replying?

That seems like pretty solid advice, hope he's alright as it must have been a fair whack to staright up knock out a tooth.
The point of replying ? The poster obviously wanted replies, mine just wasn't the '' there , there dear everythings going to be alright '' type he was looking for, nobody likes to see their kid hurt themself, me included , but he'd been taken to a dentist , so quite why he was looking for advice on here puzzles me, and the way he was going on about being ''one shaking and worried parent'' , christ, anyone would think the kid was in danger of losing his sight, he'd knocked a tooth out,''shaking and worried'' , really ?? The nation that produced nelson, Gordon of Khartoum and the like and we're reduced to being shaking and worried over a nine year old boy doing what nine year old boys do , i.e hurting himself whilst probably skylarking about :lolol:

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wish we'd known a little bit more of what to do. Ideally you push the tooth straight back in and hold it in place until you get to the dentist. If there is too much pain (which there was), then get it straight in some milk, or between your cheek and gum at the side of your mouth. We didn't get it in milk till about 15mins after it came out, and that might effect the roots chance to last till adulthood, dentist had it back in within an hour of it coming out though, so it's just a case of wait and see.

Would be delighted if he can make it through to an age where he can have an implant.

People have their fingers, hands or arms sewn back on after a longer time than that. He will probably be ok but the dentist has to give you the worst case scenario. Sounds like you did a good job though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The point of replying ? The poster obviously wanted replies, mine just wasn't the '' there , there dear everythings going to be alright '' type he was looking for, nobody likes to see their kid hurt themself, me included , but he'd been taken to a dentist , so quite why he was looking for advice on here puzzles me, and the way he was going on about being ''one shaking and worried parent'' , christ, anyone would think the kid was in danger of losing his sight, he'd knocked a tooth out,''shaking and worried'' , really ?? The nation that produced nelson, Gordon of Khartoum and the like and we're reduced to being shaking and worried over a nine year old boy doing what nine year old boys do , i.e hurting himself whilst probably skylarking about :lolol:

If your child was in danger of losing his sight would you ask NSC for advice ???

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
People have their fingers, hands or arms sewn back on after a longer time than that. He will probably be ok but the dentist has to give you the worst case scenario. Sounds like you did a good job though.

For a hand wringing needs to get a grip worried parent, maybe I did in the end. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know what you're trying to say, and in a way you are probably right in your own inimitable way, there are far worse things that could happen. I was genuinely after any expert advice though on what would happen if the tooth didn't heal, does he need a plate, or how is the gap filled until he can have an implant, what to expect etc. It ripped out of his gum so I was pretty shaken by it. I think we'll all survive though.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I know what you're trying to say, and in a way you are probably right in your own inimitable way, there are far worse things that could happen. I was genuinely after any expert advice though on what would happen if the tooth didn't heal, does he need a plate, or how is the gap filled until he can have an implant, what to expect etc. It ripped out of his gum so I was pretty shaken by it. I think we'll all survive though.
good stuff :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
X-rays showed its back in okay, and time will tell if it heals in. Longer he can keep it while everything is growing the better, as any other fixes get out grown.

Worth knowing that if a tooth gets knocked out:
1. Don't touch the root, only handle the crown.
2. If there isn't too much damage to the gum, try putting it back in and biting down on a soft cloth
3. If it won't go back in, you can put it in cows milk, or put it between your gum and cheek, get to the dentist, even spit on it if you've got nothing else to keep it moist.
Quicker you do all that, better chance the tooth has of retaking.

I didn't realise some of the work they can do. They can take another tooth shape it and fix it in the more prominent gap with a pin so that appearance wise it looks fine.

Leant more than I knew at the start of the day any road.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

Jeez

It's his kids tooth you heartless bststd and the rest of his life without it ( possibly )

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hope he's OK, Bold. Horrible experience for you and him,despite the fact that saying this means I probably fail the geezer test. All the best, mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here