Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber's transfer "insight"

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I couldn't see a thread on this yet, so apologies if I have missed it. Has anyone seen this article of the official site today? I've highlighted a couple of sections that stood out to me.

Does Barber think the average fan really thinks free transfers are cheap? Someone like Rosenior I think we all know will be on good money considering his CV, Bong as well I'd say. He comes across as a little patronising here I feel.

The second bit I think is his comment re the quality of the squad. It's almost as if he thinks we have enough as we stand! Attacking quality is needed and that will cost. Feels a bit like we are being set up for some underwhelming attacking signings as we have been told already "they aren't cheap".

Barber does a great job re revenue and running the commercial side of the club, but when he speaks out like this he doesn't help himself.

Thoughts?

Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive Paul Barber says that there is no such thing as a no-cost transfer in today’s market.

Barber was talking with BBC Sussex when he explained that a free transfer doesn’t mean that the club's player budget has been unaffected.

He said, "One of the great myths in football is that free transfers are cheap options. It doesn't necessarily work out like that because sometimes a player or his agent expects a bigger signing fee.

"It's always the total cost of a player that we would look at. Free doesn't necessarily mean free - or even cheap - that is for sure.

"Player budgets are usually made up of a number of key items; firstly any transfer fee, secondly the player's wages - and that could include anything from signing-on fees to bonuses and, of course, the agent's fee.

"We always look at the total costs of any transfer and then we divide those costs over the length of the contract to establish the cost each year to our player budget."

Meanwhile Barber has admitted that any transfer window always brings issues regarding recruiting the optimum number and type of players.

He added, "As ever, we’re trying to establish a balance between experience and youth, pace and strength, attacking and defensive qualities, and an ability in the air or on ground.

"The manager is looking for all those different qualities on the pitch and the trick is then to blend those players together as an effective unit.

"We feel that the players we've brought in are a combination of all those things, experience, height, goalscoring ability, speed, agility and so on.

“We know the areas in which we didn't perform as well as we had hoped last year, but we've also got a lot of quality in the squad that wasn't available to us last year; players who are now fit, back out on the field, and looking really good.

"Players like Solly March, Dale Stephens, who only came back for the last quarter of last season, and Andrew Crofts, who has had some real bad luck in the last couple of seasons.

"These are high-quality players who will add a lot to the squad as it stands, let alone any new additions that we bring in."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair, there were a number of comments on facebook about us taking the cheap route by signing free transfers. So not unwarranted

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
To be fair, there were a number of comments on facebook about us taking the cheap route by signing free transfers. So not unwarranted

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that. It just feels like he is talking investment on the pitch down, hopefully I am wrong and we do bring in the quality needed.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I will meltdown if Zamora signs for another championship club and Barber starts preaching about FFP and parachutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh goodie, Barber-bashing, at least everyday on NSC new and varied.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'll judge next May.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will meltdown if Zamora signs for another championship club and Barber starts preaching about FFP and parachutes.
Currently we don't need Zamora.
Why have 2 immobile lumps up front, when you can have 3, for top end money.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Oh goodie, Barber-bashing, at least everyday on NSC new and varied.

Revenue wise I think Barber has been great for us. Stuff like this does not come across well though. There is not much BHA news to talk about today, so this was worth raising I felt.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Not particularly a Barber fan or hater, but I find it hard to see anything wrong or patronising about that interview. I don't think it has any bearing on future signings.Can't see what the problem is.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Currently we don't need Zamora.
Why have 2 immobile lumps up front, when you can have 3, for top end money.

Fear ye not. Barber has insisted in the above post that they're taking a strategic look at the squad, ensuing that the immobile lumps are balanced with nippy speedsters. Which must mean that we've got two nippy speedsters in the pipeline. Mustn't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Revenue wise I think Barber has been great for us. Stuff like this does not come across well though. There is not much BHA news to talk about today, so this was worth raising I felt.
There's not much news because it's July and there's no bloody news.

There still isn't even news when trying to manufacture being offended by comments that clearly support the previously injured players who weren't responsible for "the areas in which we didn't perform as well as we had hoped last year"

Dear god for once can people look at the text and say 'fair enough' instead of foaming at the mouth just because of who is speaking.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
There's not much news because it's July and there's no bloody news.

There still isn't even news when trying to manufacture being offended by comments that clearly support the previously injured players who weren't responsible for "the areas in which we didn't perform as well as we had hoped last year"

Dear god for once can people look at the text and say 'fair enough' instead of foaming at the mouth just because of who is speaking.

To be fair there is foaming at the mouth from me, it's just my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fear ye not. Barber has insisted in the above post that they're taking a strategic look at the squad, ensuing that the immobile lumps are balanced with nippy speedsters. Which must mean that we've got two nippy speedsters in the pipeline. Mustn't it?
If it did and the club still had a Bobby sized pay cheque to hand out I couldn't be happier.

But sort out the weaknesses before doubling down on the strengths.
If goal shy immobile lumps can be called a strength.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't see too much wrong with the article. In terms of patronising, he will have a wide range of readership and can't assume everyone will be aware that it still costs to sign a free transfer, that not paying a transfer fee might mean we can spend more on other aspects like wages.

And I don't think he is implying nothing else will happen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't see too much wrong with the article. In terms of patronising, he will have a wide range of readership and can't assume everyone will be aware that it still costs to sign a free transfer, that not paying a transfer fee might mean we can spend more on other aspects like wages.

And I don't think he is implying nothing else will happen.

Agreed

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Not particularly a Barber fan or hater, but I find it hard to see anything wrong or patronising about that interview. I don't think it has any bearing on future signings.Can't see what the problem is.

Absolutely this. People read what they want to read in many of Barber's statements and to some he will never do anything right. Like you I can see nothing wrong in what he is saying and certainly does not alter any statements made previously regarding future signings. I fully expect further signings and hope they are of quality unlike last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here