Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Touring caravans

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I'm thinking of buying a touring caravan and was looking for some ideas on what i need to take into account. Was thinking of trying to pick a second hand one for about 3k. I have a young family and it seems like a cheaper way of getting away more often. Any advice would be great. I know the palace board might be better for this but we want it to holiday in... Not live in full time .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When you get a caravan you also need a shiny new 4 wheel drive or transit van to pull it, you can just pull up and camp for free in any park in Brighton and Hove or spend the weekend down the seafront. :D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Checkout you braked / kerbside weight of your car...then go to Chichester caravans.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Damp is the issue for any 2nd hand van. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS AS MUCH. Check in cupboards and under windows in particular and get a full habitation check done.
Layout (bunks/fixed bed/end toilet etc) comes next

UK campsites aren't always cheap. Join the Caravan Club & ACSII

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Is it all as easy as it looks? As in hooking it up and off you go. We have young kids so thought after the initial out lay it should be a cheap way to get away and see new places. The cost of our 1 foreign holiday this year would be enough alone to buy a tourer!

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Need to remember storage facilities, and insurance, and the extra wear/tear on the car. I'd also look into pitch costs as some locations are suprisingly expensive for what is essentially a square of field and electric hookup.

having said that i had great fun going away in the van. great to be able to decide on the friday if you want a weekend away. used to go to Chichester alot (from Newhaven) as the site there used to be great with fishing, swimming pools, entertainment etc.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is it all as easy as it looks? As in hooking it up and off you go. We have young kids so thought after the initial out lay it should be a cheap way to get away and see new places. The cost of our 1 foreign holiday this year would be enough alone to buy a tourer!

If you're a reasonably competent driver, it's all pretty straightforward. You'll spend more on fuel as well as all other expenses, but it's far quicker to get set up when you arrive than if you have a tent.

I had mine for several years and even did a few away games with it! After a while, I discovered that I wasn't using it enough and the cost per night taking into account storage costs meant that it wasn't the cheap option I thought it would be. Now back to camping and cheap b&bs.

As others have said, damp is the most likely problem when buying second hand.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Remember you can only tow a caravan up to 750kg (not very big) on your car licence if you passed the driving test after 1997.
otherwise you need to take an additional test.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Buy a tent cheaper

I was quite serious ....have you tried a static caravan? You might end up with a lot of expense and not really enjoy it...you can get a decent tent and stuff fairly cheaply these days....young children love it in my experience...many opportunities to get away on a friday night for a lovely weekend.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I was quite serious ....have you tried a static caravan? You might end up with a lot of expense and not really enjoy it...you can get a decent tent and stuff fairly cheaply these days....young children love it in my experience...many opportunities to get away on a friday night for a lovely weekend.

Quoting yourself Lamie???------don't tell me--------------you have some tenting gear/stuff for sale:hilton:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Should be banned on the roads from 7am to 7pm.

So should you.

image.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Quoting yourself Lamie???------don't tell me--------------you have some tenting gear/stuff for sale:hilton:

When Er in doors nags you ..you might find pitching that tent at bottom of garden very useful advice ..of course at your age bending down to get into it might be a tad difficult :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here