Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever wondered what Twitter looked like in the 1950s?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks to the sexist patronising FA we now know

FFS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,508

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Twitter – turning non-news stories into news since launch.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Thanks to the sexist patronising FA we now know

FFS

I think you have to try very hard to interpret this as sexist. It's saying that they're returning to be normal family members, it's not saying that is all they are in life. It's more a reflection on the fact that a lot of them are amateurs and have a life outside of football.

If he'd written that the men's team had returned to become fathers, brothers etc. then there would not be any uproar. I actually thought it was quite an endearing tweet describing their return to a more normal, less public life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think you have to try very hard to interpret this as sexist. It's saying that they're returning to be normal family members, it's not saying that is all they are in life. It's more a reflection on the fact that a lot of them are amateurs and have a life outside of football.

If he'd written that the men's team had returned to become fathers, brothers etc. then there would not be any uproar. I actually thought it was quite an endearing tweet describing their return to a more normal, less public life.

It has taken the fact that they are family members and used that to define them. Personally I think you have to try very hard not to see that as patronising.

the sexist part of it is that they would never dream of writing that about the mens team because they would never define the mens team by their relationships to others.

The mens, or course would read

"Our Lions go back to being narcissists , greedy mercenaries and rapists today, but they have taken on another title - turgid underachievers"

See they would be described using their achievements.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It must be hard work living life in a state of perpetual offence on other people's behalf.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This thread is a bit like that black/white/blue/gold dress thing that was going around a while back.

It perfectly illustrates the problem, in that things are interpreted completely differently by different people.

I don't see it as sexist, nor did the author I'm guessing, and yet that is how it has been taken by many.

The thing I'm not quite sure about is how you go 'back' to being any of those things - that suggests you stopped being a mother, partner or daughter... ???

I refer to my earlier post on the matter.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If the following was written about the mens team, would you give it a second look?

Our lions go back to being fathers, partners and sons today, but they've taken on another title- heroes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If the following was written about the mens team, would you give it a second look?

Our lions go back to being fathers, partners and sons today, but they've taken on another title- heroes.

Fair point but wouldn't happen though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here