Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports on iphone 5 - is it any good?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I am debating as to whether I should get the iphone 5 in a deal that would come with Sky Sports 1 & 2. So my questions are:

1) Are they any good/reliable/good quality on an iphone 5?

2) If watching using 4g and not on broadband, what would the data usable be roughly for a full footie game? (the deal is with 8gb of data - want to know how many games I could watch!).

Thanks in advance!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Roughly speaking, a minute of Sky Sports equates to 5Mb, and there’s 1024Mb to each GB.

In other words, if you had a 4G plan with 8GB of data, you could watch over 18 live football matches, 20 rugby games or eight tennis matches each month.

Can't comment on iPhones, I use Sony Xperia Z

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I am debating as to whether I should get the iphone 5 in a deal that would come with Sky Sports 1 & 2. So my questions are:

2) If watching using 4g and not on broadband, what would the data usable be roughly for a full footie game? (the deal is with 8gb of data - want to know how many games I could watch!).

Thanks in advance!

1) Yeah they are fine, but will be phased out in 14 months.
2) 1 minute of 4G Standard Streaming Video = 8.33MB
1 minute of 4G HD Streaming Video = 16.67MB

120 minutes = 999mb - 2000mb.

So you could probably fit in 3 games per month plus your general other data use.

3) How much does this cost p/m? I'd personally avoid anything on an iPhone 5 as mentioned above, they'll be phased on in 14 months and it's a pretty small screen to stare at for 2 hours!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just dumped my 5 which was a relatively abysmal piece of kit. Much worse than a 4 in terms of robustness and as I understand it has been effectively discontinued and abandoned by Apple, However there are loads of great contract deals designed to shift stock and the one you are looking at sounds tempting. My advice would be go for the shortest contract possible and make sure you take insurance.

Edit: I've moved to a 6+ and the bigger screen is much better suited to streaming sport & movies but of course you don't get the deals

Last edited:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks for the comments so far. How come they're phasing it out? To be replaced with a better Sky package or removed altogther?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks for the comments so far. How come they're phasing it out? To be replaced with a better Sky package or removed altogther?

No, the iPhone 5 will be eventually phased out, possibly September 2016 ('17 latest).
IMO it's too small a screen to stare at.

How much does this 'deal' cost?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
No, the iPhone 5 will be eventually phased out, possibly September 2016 ('17 latest).
IMO it's too small a screen to stare at.

How much does this 'deal' cost?

It's 40 quid a month, 8gb data. A lot more than I'm happy to pay, but the lure of the Sky channels is dragging me in!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
well it works flawlessly on iPhone 5 and I only have 3 g.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I watched the British GP on my 5S yesterday, on 3G. Good enough seeing as I wasn't able to get to a TV, and the screen image quality is really pretty good.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Thanks in advance!

The deal is you get free sky for a year on your TV or just in the phone? What company pls?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
iPhone 5s are bad phones, the worst apple has made I would say.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also to say iPhone 5 I have has been fantastic..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here