Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus crash on north street

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A BUS has crashed into the back of another bus in North Street, Brighton, near the Clock Tower.Police were called at 9.22am.The Bus driver in second bus has been injured and is believed to be trapped.Police believe all passengers are off the bus.One may be injured.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Picture of it really doesn't look great. Really hope the driver of the second bus is ok. The front of it looks quite squashed. Not pleasant.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
CJN9_42W8AA1x3w.jpg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just reported as breaking news on Sky News as Sussex Police have declared it a 'Major Incident'... sounds bad :(

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
A statement from Sussex Police:

Two people have sustained life-threatening injuries and three have been seriously injured in a crash between two buses in central Brighton.

Emergency services were called to Queen's Road, near the Clock Tower, at 9.22am on Monday (July 6). It has been declared a major incident by the ambulance service and police have advised drivers to avoid the city centre for the next few hours.

In addition to those seriously injured, six to eight people are understood to be 'walking wounded' with minor injuries and a walk in centre for anyone injured has been set up at the top of Queen's Road near the railway station.

West Street is being used as a holding point for ambulances attending the incident. A triage centre has been set up on North Street.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
christ, looks awful. I really hope it wasn't caused by someone walking out/running across the road to make it brake suddenly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just got hold of Mrs Gwylan who was on a bus reaching the Clock Tower about that time ...phew. There was no mention of the route numbers involved which made it rather worrying.

Thoughts for all people on board. And sad to see that it took about an hour for someone on the Argus comments page to blame the Greens

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bus driver I spoke to thought that there was a cyclist involved...can't see anything about that reported.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
christ, looks awful. I really hope it wasn't caused by someone walking out/running across the road to make it brake suddenly.

People thoughtlessly running out into the road in North Street and at Churchill Square has been a problem for years, so IF that was proved to be a contributing reason for the accident, it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's pretty depressing is that there's a major news story in the centre of Brighton - it's big enough to make the national news - and yet nearly two hours later, the main local newspaper has no reports from the scene, beyond the reposting of Twitter feeds and the republishing of official statements. The Argus really is a bit crap these days, isn't it?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What's pretty depressing is that there's a major news story in the centre of Brighton - it's big enough to make the national news - and yet nearly two hours later, the main local newspaper has no reports from the scene, beyond the reposting of Twitter feeds and the republishing of official statements. The Argus really is a bit crap these days, isn't it?

I guess that's what happens when the head office moves to Southampton.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People thoughtlessly running out into the road in North Street and at Churchill Square has been a problem for years, so IF that was proved to be a contributing reason for the accident, it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Indeed. It always amazes me how many people run in front of buses in that area and think they can stop just like that. Without wishing to sound insenstive, it has got worse in North Street since the pavements were widened.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
People walking out in front of traffic - if that's what lies behind this - has zero to do with improving roads for pedestrians: it does seem to be a sizable Brighton-wide problem - I'd say 9/10 it's people with headphones on too. I've been very struck by this since moving back, pardon the pun, it's definitely got worse.

Hope everyone involved is ok: I'm always struck by the driving skills of bus drivers in crowded city roads, don't know how they do it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
North Street is a death trap for pedestrians who refuse to use the crossings.

Many huge buses, often hurtling downhill, hundreds/thousands of pedestrians, many with headphones on and playing chicken with the buses to save 2 minutes walking time to the crossings.

Just a very dangerous road.

Hope the casualties swiftly recover.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I know there's not a lot of time for cyclists on here, but trying to cycle up North Street to the Clock Tower is nigh on impossible these days due to all the back-to-back buses stopped all the way up and also stopped too far into the kerb, and even if you can manage to squeeze past them and get to the top to wait at the lights they're often half way in the cycle box at the lights as well, so you've got nowhere to wait for the lights to change. Very dangerous on a push bike, not that I don't have sympathy for the very difficult job that bus drivers do.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
People walking out in front of traffic - if that's what lies behind this - has zero to do with improving roads for pedestrians: it does seem to be a sizable Brighton-wide problem - I'd say 9/10 it's people with headphones on too. I've been very struck by this since moving back, pardon the pun, it's definitely got worse.

Hope everyone involved is ok: I'm always struck by the driving skills of bus drivers in crowded city roads, don't know how they do it.

It's especially true at this time of the year when all the language students start taking over the town centre. I was in town yesterday and there were literally hundreds of them around the North Street/Queen's Road/Churchill Square area. Also, what is it with groups of teenage girls running across the road and then giggling to each other after they almost get mown down by a bus?

It sounds like there's at least a couple of people with very serious injuries, my thoughts go out to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here