Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any rules against wimmin playing in the Championship..?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes there are. There's a maximum age at which mixed teams are allowed. About nine or ten, I think, but don't count on that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, football is segregated after the age of 12 (school year 8). From that time, no girls/women can play in a boys/men's team. The same rule applies in rugby too (much to my daughter's dismay as she's had to leave her team).

Interestingly, there is no such rule in cricket. There's nothing stopping a woman playing for a county team. Indeed, I believe Sussex registered Sarah Taylor as a player last year when they thought they had a keeper problem

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Some of the outfield players at the Women's World Cup could easily play at a decent standard in the men's game but is it just me or are the 'keepers all crap?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Some of the outfield players at the Women's World Cup could easily play at a decent standard in the men's game but is it just me or are the 'keepers all crap?

The keepers also seem to be rather small, there was one at 5' 4". Now, as a shortarse myself, she'd be taller than me, but one thing I've never considered doing is going in goal.

SAC

May 21, 2014

It's not just you, the 'keepers are all poor in comparison to the outfield players but I'm not convinced that there are any players that I have seen that would be able to hold their place in a Championship team, if they were allowed.

Oct 25, 2003
oddly, the championship is actually the ONLY league where 'wimmin' are allowed to play....which makes this a really valid and important thread...thank you for starting it

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
The keepers also seem to be rather small, there was one at 5' 4". Now, as a shortarse myself, she'd be taller than me, but one thing I've never considered doing is going in goal.

Are the goals the same size as in the men's game? They look like they are, surely they could be made a bit smaller to reflect the average height of women compared to men.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The rule for last season was that girls and boys can play in the same teams up to U16.
I did hear something about that being raised to U18, but not sure if that has happened yet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The rule for last season was that girls and boys can play in the same teams up to U16.
I did hear something about that being raised to U18, but not sure if that has happened yet.

You're right. It was raised to U16 last year - something my daughter's school seem completely unaware of. It changes to u18 next season

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the quality of football looks decent enough, but i think most would struggle in the English leagues for 90 minutes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They'd get outmuscled and significantly out paced and out jumped.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think wimmin would settle very well in the mens game, as there are certain aspects that were completely missing from what I saw of the Womens World Cup. They really have a long way to go in terms of simulation, before they can even begin to compete. I didn't see anyone rolling around screaming when they had jumped over a possible challenge, holding their face when the ball had struck them on the shin, or being stretchered off in agony, only to jog back on a few seconds later.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think wimmin would settle very well in the mens game, as there are certain aspects that were completely missing from what I saw of the Womens World Cup. They really have a long way to go in terms of simulation, before they can even begin to compete. I didn't see anyone rolling around screaming when they had jumped over a possible challenge, holding their face when the ball had struck them on the shin, or being stretchered off in agony, only to jog back on a few seconds later.

There was a German player who went down in the match against England, holding her face. She'd had the briefest of pushes ... and nowhere near her face. She was the only player I saw do it and I watched quite a few of the games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here